Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Do you ever play a game so much...  (Read 13588 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Do you ever play a game so much...
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:15:08 pm »

you start to use it's controls for other things? I've just come off a Black & White binge and I found myself trying to scroll the forums clicking and pushing, then when I thought about I do that quite a lot, play a game excessively then try to use it's controls elsewhere. So anyone else do that?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever play a game so much...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:28:36 pm »

I get this sometimes when I play a lot of games of the same genre, like RTS or FPS, with similar but not identical control schemes, and screw things up sometimes.  Like playing Thief and Morrowing a lot at the same time, I'll get 'jump' and 'use' and such wrong until I just rebind the keys.  As a result, I play all FPS with Thief style controls.

As for doing so outside of games, it only happened once.  I had just woken up after a long night of emulator-playing, and I saw a cockroach on the wall.  I grabbed a shoe and got ready to obliterate him, then froze in my tracks for a few seconds as I tried to find a quicksave key incase I screwed up and missed.  Laid off the emulators for a while after that.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:44:24 pm »

I do this all the god damn time with Photoshop shortcuts.

FUCK YOU PAINT.NET I WANT TO MERGE LAYERS

CTRL E

FFFFFFFFFF
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:55:13 pm »

I played Abe's Exodus (brilliant game) so much that whenever I was reading a book or thinking about doing something risky, I'd think that it was time to quicksave. I didn't even notice something was out of place for a while. Didn't stop me playing the game though. ;D
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:01:08 pm »

Yeah...when I was playing with some FPS games, I've used the "t" button to write in-game. When I "talked" on IRC with other peeps, I kept hitting the "t" before I started to type in the text. So lot of my sentences started with "t". ;D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 07:27:25 pm »

I have done all of these, except for the paint/photoshop screwup.  Trying to save your own life is a very peculiar experience.  Trying to remember what all the controls are when you wake up is even more interesting.

Pause is another one of those controls that doesn't quite mind its own damned business.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:33:36 pm »

I did have a VERY detailed dream once where i was savescumming in order to get through a real-life day.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:39:08 pm »

Playing Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 at the same time is... difficult. What game company switches the function of two keys? I keep getting jump and use mixed up.

Plus, I press V frequently in random FPS games. VATS spoils players.

A non-game related experience is from switching from Ubuntu back to XP. In Ubuntu, a program didn't have to be the focus to be able to interact with it. This leads to frustration when I'm trying to scroll in Firefox and my IM conversation moves several lines.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 07:40:53 pm »

Its never happened to me, I just seem to be naturaly resiliant to these effects. And I DO play some games for long periods of time. 8)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 07:52:24 pm »

Mind you I mostly play freeware and indie games due to a lack of a budget.

So as you can imagine, after beating the hard mode of Cave Story and then a year later playing Spelunky, my deaths in an already death-happy game rose due to stupid things like jumping instead of attacking or attacking instead of jumping.

Then there is the matter of consoles allowing you to press every key at the same time, where modern keyboards only allow three inputs an once. When it comes to, say Super Mario World where you want to run, jump and hold an item at once things can get very aggravating.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:57:56 pm »

So as you can imagine, after beating the hard mode of Cave Story

uhh, i'm not saying your daft or a loon or a daft loon Duke, but i don't remember Cave Story even HAVING difficulty settings. It has pretty well-known self-imposed challenges, but not difficulty settings.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 08:01:27 pm »

Well, it is more of a plot choice few people know about unless you read a guide. And if you beat a game, of course you can read guides!

But yes, there are three endings. The first is the bad ending, which anybody who beat the game should know. Then there is the good ending, which is somewhat sad. Then there is the redemption ending, which is washing 124 cats at once in a tub full of large fish hard. Also, the one with the least amount of guilt after beating.

And let me tell you, playing hard mode of that game requires one to know these keys by muscle memory thanks to the Shump-style final boss. By Shump, I mean Bullet Hell.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:58 pm »

Ohh, you mean the full ending? Yeah but its not really that hard...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 08:25:35 pm »

Ohh, you mean the full ending? Yeah but its not really that hard...
Hey, I braved hell for that ending! Don't take it away from me!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 08:50:52 pm »

Then there is the matter of consoles allowing you to press every key at the same time, where modern keyboards only allow three inputs an once. When it comes to, say Super Mario World where you want to run, jump and hold an item at once things can get very aggravating.

Does anybody know a way to fix this?  I know it's a system thing, since if you press too many keys at once (and it's not just a total, it's also certain keys) the system speaker starts beeping.  Surely there's a keyboard driver somewhere that'll read more keys at the same time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8