Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Do you ever play a game so much...  (Read 13592 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever play a game so much...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 09:14:54 pm »

I don't get much crossing over into real life from games, though when don't sleep for a day or so I do sort of lose grip with reality and start thinking Im in various games and stuff.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 09:29:40 pm »

Then there is the matter of consoles allowing you to press every key at the same time, where modern keyboards only allow three inputs an once. When it comes to, say Super Mario World where you want to run, jump and hold an item at once things can get very aggravating.

Does anybody know a way to fix this?  I know it's a system thing, since if you press too many keys at once (and it's not just a total, it's also certain keys) the system speaker starts beeping.  Surely there's a keyboard driver somewhere that'll read more keys at the same time.
I thought it was a hardware limitation? Possibly so that if a keyboard is being bashed crazy crap won't happen. Like the entire keyboard being preesd at the same time.

But yes, I would love any driver that would allow for more keys. It would make PC games so much easier.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:59 pm »

I took apart a keyboard once.

It looked like it was a hardware limitation, but I really have no idea.  Haha

I've tried to inspe[k]t stuff in real life because of Dwarf Fortress. >.<

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 09:41:21 pm »

Whats the weirdest thing you've ever found in your keyboard? I found a safety pin lodged between the Z and the alt keys that must have been their for months by the look of it.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44:40 pm »

I found really dark brown liquid that didn't smell or taste like anything.  It was really strange.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 09:53:43 pm »

I found really dark brown liquid that didn't smell or taste like anything.  It was really strange.

Tylui: sticking unknown brown substances into his mouth for over 10 years.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 10:11:45 pm »

Yeah, one time I found some strange clear stuff in the little holes in my keyboard. It tasted like rotten mangos, I dont know. It was nasty anycase.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 11:17:07 pm »

you start to use it's controls for other things? I've just come off a Black & White binge and I found myself trying to scroll the forums clicking and pushing, then when I thought about I do that quite a lot, play a game excessively then try to use it's controls elsewhere. So anyone else do that?
What do you mean you can't scroll the forums by clicking and pushing?
Oh right, I use a plugin called Grab and Drag for Firefox...

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 12:10:13 am »

I don't get that from playing games, but I get it from programming.  When I make a mistake I constantly use Ctrl+z to "undo".

It's gotten so bad that when I make a mistake in real life like spill some milk or spell something wrong on paper, my hand goes up for a split-second thinking that I can "Ctrl+z" the problem.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 01:40:43 am »

I don't get that from playing games, but I get it from programming.  When I make a mistake I constantly use Ctrl+z to "undo".

It's gotten so bad that when I make a mistake in real life like spill some milk or spell something wrong on paper, my hand goes up for a split-second thinking that I can "Ctrl+z" the problem.

I always think that I can copy+paste because of programming.

Also, I think about situations and what types of conditional structures it would take to produce them.  Like driving and stuff...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 02:02:50 am »

It's really weird, because I got control schemes of a few hundred games memorized. I can pick up games I played in my childhood and still remember all the moves/commands and even most of the cheats.

I'm not kidding, I keep amazing myself with that little ability. Too bad its nigh pointless. I mean, just imagine I would put that kind of energy into like... ummm.... becoming a doctor or summat.+

But whenever I watch gameplay videos of games that 1) I know and 2) have a camera you can rotate... I catch myself just tryin to do that several times in a minute. (rotating the camera, not becoming a doctor)

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 03:15:55 am »

I remember when playing a game, my little sister was being stupid, and inputted a random level select code... that advanced me almost completely through the game :D
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 03:22:01 am »

I remember when playing a game, my little sister was being stupid, and inputted a random level select code... that advanced me almost completely through the game :D

Then there is the matter of consoles allowing you to press every key at the same time, where modern keyboards only allow three inputs an once. When it comes to, say Super Mario World where you want to run, jump and hold an item at once things can get very aggravating.

Does anybody know a way to fix this?  I know it's a system thing, since if you press too many keys at once (and it's not just a total, it's also certain keys) the system speaker starts beeping.  Surely there's a keyboard driver somewhere that'll read more keys at the same time.
I thought it was a hardware limitation? Possibly so that if a keyboard is being bashed crazy crap won't happen. Like the entire keyboard being preesd at the same time.

But yes, I would love any driver that would allow for more keys. It would make PC games so much easier.
I really dont understand much of the details about this, but I remember we had that little talk at school, back then. Actually this talk made me reconsider my choice of education; because half the guys in first semester were over this little argument, and one of my friends just sat down and if I remember that correctly he wrote a driver that registered all the keypresses. Took him a few minutes only, and I was still desperately trying to understand what people were saying.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:29:58 am by Puck »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 03:27:47 am »

I once used ':D' so much while on the computer in conversations I said D instead of laughing. Took me a while to stop.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 03:37:33 am »

The only thing like that I can think of in recent memory is the indie PC game Hammerfall. You control a helicopter-like object with a heavy object or sword tied to it. You proceed to use physics to break things in a 2D environment. This means rotating your mouse to build up momentum and to carefully aim in such a way that things smash all nice like.

For two days after I played it I was rotating my mouse around on the Bay 12 Games forums, or just moving my hand in circles. It was really crazy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8