Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tools  (Read 6983 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Tools
« on: January 07, 2009, 04:42:04 pm »

i think every job not done pure handed should get tool

for example fishing rods and nets for fishers
as nets are considered as new type of shield made of cloth (like ropes)
fishing rods are weak two handed weapons for lashers

those tools will be defined in the entity, for better overview the DIGGER tag will be renamed
they get an optional second value for effieny, default is 1 and most efficent

it will look like this:
Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
[CIV_CONTROLLABLE]
[CREATURE:DWARF]
[TRANSLATION:DWARF]
[TOOL_MINER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
[TOOL_MINER:ITEM_WEAPON_SHOVEL:3]
[TOOL_WOODCUTTER:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]
[TOOL_WOODCUTTER:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_HAND]
[TOOL_FISHER:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR:2]
[TOOL_FISHER:ITEM_WEAPON_FISHING_ROD]
[TOOL_FISHER:ITEM_SHIELD_NET:2]
[TOOL_MASON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_WAR:2] (mason and stone carving)
[TOOL_MASON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_SMALL]
[TOOL_CARVING:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE] (bowyer, wood and bone carving)
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]
so you get for example 3 types of fishing gear, a dwarf will once a season try to get the tool with highest efficency, if his is own is lower ("pickup equipment" task)
as you can assume a warhammer may be used as a mason tool, but is quite unhandy for this task, so a small one would be much better. on the other hand all your civilian dwarfs will be equiped with a weak version of a battle weapon (most likeley also weak material ^^) and not wrestle all day if caught in a fight.

you also could make different tools for different civs, the only problem with all this would be to raise the startng points as you need more stuff.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 05:01:39 pm »

this should be under modding if it's already easily possible for you

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 05:11:21 pm »

really? it is? so tell me whats the tags in the entity to get fishery "weapons" done :p

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:32:25 pm »

It would be both the hammer and the dagger for masonry, unless I am reading it wrong. Also, all tools wouldn't be weapons. For example, a tool for processing plants to vial or something would require a mortar and pestle, which would be an odd and inefficient weapon to fight with.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 06:51:17 pm »

of course i only think of tools you would use as weapons, such minor tools as mortar and pestle is just a nuance, like nails for a carpenter.
and yep you read it wrong, the dagger should be for carving, not the mason :p

also the "the tools are implemented in the workshop" doesnt count for me: not every wall, bridge or whatever you build is a workshop with it own tool around ;p

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 08:13:15 pm »

Damn... I should have listened to my mom... I am no good at reading...  :'(

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 09:49:47 pm »

Workshops should be built with the tools in them, not have every dwarf carry around a toy hammer

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:20:39 am »

Workshops should be built with the tools in them, not have every dwarf carry around a toy hammer

I agree with that, if you mean the tools should be built into the shop, like the anvil is. This avoids strewing tools around everywhere, and imposes some cost on setting up shops. Examples:

- Butcher's shop: Knife (possibly axe or sword? maybe any of these?)
- Leatherworker's and Tailor's shop: Awl
- Craftsdwarf's shop: Chisel (used for all types of crafting)
- Carpenter's shop: Axe (this is a key early industry so it should use a very multifunctional tool)
- Forge: Anvil and hammer
- Still and Tannery: Barrel (Still should also require blocks for a furnace)
- Kitchen and Fishery: Knife (Kitchen should also require blocks for an oven)
- Mason's shop: Hammer
- Farmer's workshop: Flail, maybe?

The knife could be a generalization of the dagger. The chisel and awl are new. Any of the hand tools can be made of any industrial metal, except the chisel, which has to be iron or steel.

The exceptions are jobs that don't use workshops. Mining, woodcutting, and hunting are already like that; add fishing (spear), farming (maybe shovel or something; they could just use their hands though), and engraving (hammer and/or chisel). These dwarves would go and pick up the tool when they had one of these labors enabled. If they have more than one, they should carry the tool for the job they're currently doing, and then switch it when they start on a job that requires a different one.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 04:43:47 am »

I agree with that, if you mean the tools should be built into the shop, like the anvil is. This avoids strewing tools around everywhere, and imposes some cost on setting up shops. Examples:

- Butcher's shop: Knife, cleaver/axe, bonesaw, meathook(s). A good butcher's shop would also require a supply of salt, and a supply of wine.
- Leatherworker's and Tailor's shop: Awl, knife, needle(s), punch.
- Craftsdwarf's shop: Chisel (used for all types of crafting), mallot/hammer, knife, punch.
- Carpenter's shop: Axe, saw, chisel, lathe, auger.
- Forge: Anvil, hammer (hammers, actually: an armoury forge, or even a place that just does horseshoes professionally, would have-at bare minimum-a forging hammer, a sledgehammer, and a ball-pean hammer.), tongs, file(s). Aside from fuel, and water for quenching, a forge is also going to want a supply of oil. Atleast tallow, both for quenching, and for keeping items from rusting. Also a supply of sand would be *really* helpful.
- Still and Tannery: Barrel, cauldron.
- Kitchen and Fishery: Knife (Kitchen should also require blocks for an oven), cauldron. Fishery will need a supply of salt, kitchen will only want one.
- Mason's shop: Hammer, chisel, block & tackle, chain.
- Farmer's workshop: Flail/scythe, rake, yoke, plough, bucket, knife.

That's better.
For they would be your masters.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 04:52:28 am »

This may be a bit off the topic, but here's one thought: stills should also require water, e.g. you can only build a still over a water tile, much like you build a magma forge over magma. And you should need a bucket of course. And you should need a magma-safe bucket for a magma forge.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 04:57:05 am »

Stills would be hella difficult to make without copper, for piping. I guess you'd use clay without it, but why, when you're a dwarf?

I'm not quite sure why you'd need so much water for one though, Murphy. Fire, to boil the mash, and something to catch the condensated liquor (copper piping), but only a pretty limited amount of water, unless I'm mistaken. Which I could be.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 05:33:48 am »

I think you would need a barrel of water to make a barrel of beer. Most drinks are at least 60-80% water. Besides, wouldn't it look strange if you could survive on less water by brewing alcohol with it?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 05:41:23 am »

Yeah, you would need to add some water to make beer (my wife just bought me a beer making kit for x-mas, so that's how I know. I married well.), but you wouldn't for some processing/distilling, like turning grapes into wine, and then wine into brandy.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:42:18 am »

about the water thing i made another suggestion before ;)

and the tools: my thought here was only the big tools can be used as weapon should be used. so sewing needles etc. dont count

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 02:51:51 pm »

Yeah, you would need to add some water to make beer (my wife just bought me a beer making kit for x-mas, so that's how I know. I married well.), but you wouldn't for some processing/distilling, like turning grapes into wine, and then wine into brandy.

Which would be fine, if the grapes actually needed water in DF. :)  Or some way of making it so that you don't get more water out of growing plants and drinking wine then you do by drinking the water directly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:54:42 pm by Soralin »
Pages: [1] 2