Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: The threaded pathfinding thread with the previously unhelpful title.  (Read 16214 times)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The threaded pathfinding thread with the previously unhelpful title.
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2009, 05:35:32 pm »

That should be minimal, with Optimizt doing most of the legwork, right?

If that works out, yeah.  But it's sounding like it'll take a lot of work for Toady just to make the pathfinding modular enough that he can release the source, and without that, Optimizt will be in the dark -- and even if he produces something, it won't plug in neatly.  That said, I hope we can at least theorize some pathfinding improvements.
Some improvement is better than none.

Personally I improved at coding by looking at what other people have done and how they did it, and find ways to use that code to do other things, and then I find more code to do other things, and sometimes I combine them to do things they were not even given as an example to.

It's not that I'm lazy or anything, it's just that even if I know how to code, I kinda suck at coding from scratch unless I really really know what I'm doing, which most of the time I don't unless I cut/paste/modify things a lot. So other people's examples can inspire me and teach me more than anything else.

So even if it doesn't do anything for DF in terms of copy/paste transition, we can only hope it inspires/teaches Toady about multi-threading and such (if the example code is proper that is)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:37:10 pm by Thndr »

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2009, 07:47:06 pm »

Thndr: with all due respect, you are a joke of a programmer.  Where I come from (the programming ghetto, yo.) you'd be laughed at if you admitted to honestly doing that!

It's really unhelpful if non-programmers or programmers without a good, comprehensive understanding of multithreading (excluding Toady, I imagine :p) keep having their say in threads like these. You're welcome to an opinion, sure, but by definition your opinion is totally worthless and not worth the text it's stored in.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:50:14 pm by Kholint »

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2009, 08:24:50 pm »

Thndr: with all due respect, you are a joke of a programmer.  Where I come from (the programming ghetto, yo.) you'd be laughed at if you admitted to honestly doing that!

It's really unhelpful if non-programmers or programmers without a good, comprehensive understanding of multithreading (excluding Toady, I imagine :p) keep having their say in threads like these. You're welcome to an opinion, sure, but by definition your opinion is totally worthless and not worth the text it's stored in.
Yes I am a joke of a programmer because honestly I have no damn clue how to program. However what I said isn't without merit as if you do not understand the underlying mechanics of any example code you're looking at, then it's next to useless to you. The way I find example code useful is to find out exactly how it does it stuff, thus finding the underlying mechanics.

Sure it's probably easier just to look up functions in a book and memorise all of them and use them later, but thats not how I personally work. Which due to my inherent laziness is not often at all.

And I apologize if my amateur outlook has caused any confusion. In all aspects I've been mostly realistic about the situation (up to my understanding of it) and I also never even said much of anything to merit me as someone who knows anything about coding other than some lackluster things that would be overlooked by most people who know what they're talking about.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:28:24 pm by Thndr »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2009, 08:27:27 pm »

Kholint, with all due respect, you are not the one to judge. If i follow your argument every what so dumb algoritm has to be new invented by every programmer in your "programming ghetto". I wonder how long it takes for someone from your "ghetto" to get past Bubblesort.

Thndr approach on learning isnt that bad. Why shouldnt he use an approach/idea someone other has developed? As long its fast and efficient code noone should care (except its from closed source/ an softwarepatent).

As long he understands/learns the concepts and internal workings behind this codesnippets and examples he had collected i see only an minor problem cause its an valid way of programming.

Its really unhelpful to discriminate Newcomers cause this Newcomers can provide some knowledge here and there which you may not have. It is very rude, not to say cruel to yell at an newcomer cause of its failures. We (Programmers) all started at an "Hello world" Programm and developed our skills from there.   

Thndr: I think you have only an little planning problem and nothing else. Get some well defined task for training and have faith in yourself. Also try to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it, trust me it isnt that hard.

Edit: Start small not with something huge.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:29:56 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2009, 08:39:12 pm »

What?  You think learning things from other people's code is bad?  That's not the programming ghetto, that's the programming hermitage or something.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2009, 08:42:29 pm »

What?  You think learning things from other people's code is bad?  That's not the programming ghetto, that's the programming hermitage or something.
I think he meant more of the copy/paste stuff and not actually doing much of the programming yourself. You know, scriptkiddy style outlook of taking cool code and using it mindlessly.

Thndr: I think you have only an little planning problem and nothing else. Get some well defined task for training and have faith in yourself. Also try to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it, trust me it isnt that hard.

Edit: Start small not with something huge.

Planning seems to be the most of my problem, the other problems are mostly not knowing much at all and being too impatient to trudge through smaller projects unless it helps out the bigger idea. Which of course leads to not knowing what I'd want to do at all, and even if I did I have no clue on how to accomplish it. Kinda why I stick to mostly the lazy things like crappy drawings and a few sprites every so often.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:52:55 pm by Thndr »

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2009, 09:14:18 pm »

I think you guys are wandering pretty far off-topic by now...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »

We (Programmers) all started at an "Hello world" Programm and developed our skills from there.

(Sorry, I have to post this... it's required.)

I have a friend who's first program is always "Hello Kitty" not "Hello World" because "Saying hello to a kitty is much more sane than talking to the whole world."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2009, 11:42:55 pm »

I know at least one of the For Dummies books started off with a "Goodbye, cruel world" program, back in the day...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2009, 11:43:47 pm »

We (Programmers) all started at an "Hello world" Programm and developed our skills from there.

(Sorry, I have to post this... it's required.)

I have a friend who's first program is always "Hello Kitty" not "Hello World" because "Saying hello to a kitty is much more sane than talking to the whole world."

Yes you are!  And you're sitting there!  Hello Kitty!

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2009, 12:12:30 am »

I was kidding, jesus christ.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2009, 12:28:31 pm »

lol
.... i was kidding
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2009, 12:29:31 pm »

Wasn't very funny.

The thing that would worry me for something like this on my own project is, what happens when I need to change my pathfinding code? I mean it should happen rarely, but it would still feel like playing with fire if there's a lot of stuff I haven't written floating around in between the lines I have. If it isn't written properly, a small change can bug things up and cause frustration, leaving me feeling alienated from my own work. I'd always be a little worried about eventually having to do something in a way that would require a rewrite. Not because I'm afraid of doing rewrites, mind you, but because I'd then be rewriting stuff I don't understand.

In Toady's case, this would require him to either spend the (possibly lengthy) amount of time to learn enough to do it again himself, or ask the person that did it for more help. I personally would much rather be able to do it properly myself from the beginning than be shackled at an unknown future date from making a necessary change to my own work.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2009, 01:40:04 pm »

If you're going to say nasty-sounding things to people and call them jokes, you should probably try to throw in a little humor.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2009, 02:08:04 pm »

... a little off topic, but am I the only person who gets a mental image of people running around with laptops in the streets trying to bust a virus into each others RAM when I hear "programming ghetto"? (Is it even possible?)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9