Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Saints Row 2  (Read 5402 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Saints Row 2
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:28:17 pm »

It came out on the PC! Yay!

The bad part of this game is that it's very... very... very... poorly optimized. Not as bad as GTA4, since that one didn't even run on most computers, but still quite bad. Granted, my laptop is 3 years old, but still... I would expect a computer that can play Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander on high settings could at least run a game so that it doesn't look like Vice City at >800x600 resolution.

Well, no matter. I'm not a graphics whore. I don't actually mind having Vice City graphics so long as I can play.

Also, the controls are quite bad too. Everything was very poorly ported to the PC, with no mouse cursor support for menus and whatnot. Driving is a real pain as turns are done at such an extreme angle. Just tapping the left and right keys sends your car careening off a cliff. Takes awhile to get used to, and then some. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable racing missions. Flying is a bit easier though... There's cruise control too, which helps.

The good part is that this game is so damn fun. You can customize fricking everything. I'm currently playing as a British guy with flame red hair dressed as Michael Jackson. My hobbies include tearing out the stakes that hold down wooden fences and holding old ladies hostage with them, flipping the bird to every passer by I see, and flying planes upside down into tunnels. There's so many innovations that make GTA pale in comparison and it really doesn't skimp on the fun.

If you bring a car to your garage (which, unlike GTA, can store more than 100 cars easily) it will be there, forever. So you can smash up the car you stored, blow it up, go back to the garage and it's there waiting for you again. Same thing with guns, clothes, furniture, you name it. You can get gangmembers to follow you around and you can revive them an unlimited number of times whenever they go down, the GPS system is great and adapts quickly to your crazy driving style, the whole map is unlocked right from the beginning.

Lots of stuff like that.

I recommend it. It's really fun. Just... unless your PC rig is a monster, it probably isn't going to run. And you might want to get a gamepad. I'm considering one just so I can drive straight.

p.s: The dialogue and radio stations aren't as good as GTA though. Then again, these guys didn't have the same budget as the GTA team. But it's nice turning on the radio after EVERY SINGLE MISSION and hearing them talk about what happened. Lots of small things like that.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Saints Row 2
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:03:55 am »

This port makes GTA4 looks good. I believe it's worse than GTA4 in optimization, looks and porting... But damn... The game is much more entertaining and fun.

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:14:42 am »

Cool. Glad to hear it's fun - the console reviews had me excited for this one. Is there a lot to do in the game? How's the replay value once the missions are done? One of the things that disappointed me about GTAIV was how there was less to do than in the previous versions. There's multiplayer too, right? How does that stack up with GTA?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 12:30:25 am »

Saint's Row 2 got Yahtzee's game of the year award, pretty impressive seeing as how openly cynical and difficult to please he is.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:42:44 am »

I wa about to mention that. I really want to play it now...

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:54:17 am »

Shame to hear it's so poorly optimized.  Especially with the controls - I really liked how tight it was on the 360.  Hopefully there'll be a patch in the works somewhere.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 03:39:42 am »

I was interested in getting this.  I guess I'll wait until the fix it or I get a better computer.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:13:50 am »

Okay, the controls are getting really, really irritating. There's a goddamn mission where you need to chase down 4 speeding motorcyclists with a motorcycle of your own. HOW THE FUCK DO THEY EXPECT US TO EVEN ATTEMPT THE MISSION WHEN THE MOTORCYCLE CAN'T TURN AT ANYTHING LESS THAN 90 DEGREE ANGLES?!

I'm stuck in the game. Can't progress at all because of this stupid issue.

Edit: ARRRGH!!!! This is the 96th time I've been unable to do anything about this mission! It's impossible! It's like trying to thread 5 needles at the same time with your feet! Fuck this, if the game doesn't want me to play, why the heck should I play?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 05:10:49 am »

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/
If you have a 360 controler this should help with any annoying controls and add some percision.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 05:15:05 am »

The problem is partly due to poor controls and also due a lot to the generally terrible system performance when you're in a vehicle. There's some sort of memory leak in the game that will turn your system, no matter how powerful, to ash the moment you enter a vehicle.

What this means is that any action you do (manipulating a controller or pressing a key) is either not read or misread, thus making movement angles, speed, and whatnot quite random.

I've uninstalled the game. Couldn't take it anymore. Maybe if a patch comes out I'll start playing it again. Until then, I'm really not going to have any more faith in console ports. If those idiot developers didn't want to spend an extra couple of bucks actually trying to play their game, then I shouldn't give them the pleasure of buying their products in the future.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 05:47:29 am »

I had a baaad experience with the 360 version. Played up to the point you take the underground from the bums, where the game then attempts to autosave. It's waited up to this point to tell me I don't have enough room to save! I have a hard drive! WTF!
Anyway, games make you pick your save device once it's time to save, like how Saint's Row 1 did at the title screen. But here, at the autosave, the only two options I have are to keep playing without saving, or go back to the main menu. GODDAMNIT I was attached to my Brit who had the bow and come here kung fu expressions. That and him wearing the crappy clothing made him look like a maniac! Too bad I have to start over when I try again.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 04:43:23 pm »

I rented the 360 version; very fun indeed. Shame to hear the PC port is so cruddy. I guess we can hope for patches, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 06:42:03 pm »

Okay, the controls are getting really, really irritating. There's a goddamn mission where you need to chase down 4 speeding motorcyclists with a motorcycle of your own. HOW THE FUCK DO THEY EXPECT US TO EVEN ATTEMPT THE MISSION WHEN THE MOTORCYCLE CAN'T TURN AT ANYTHING LESS THAN 90 DEGREE ANGLES?!
Just finished that mission, wasn't too hard, had to do it 3 times tho.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 01:55:45 am »

Then either your computer is way better than mine or your skills are way better than mine. Good for you though.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 11:17:37 am »

Probably the first one. The choppiness sucked at that point and I have a computer that runs GTA4 at all high smoothly.
Pages: [1] 2