Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Flying Performance Issues strikes the computer in the fun! It is destroyed!  (Read 2754 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

In an effort to both fix my computer and disprove Sean Mirrsen's statement that there's nothing to say in the forums but oh so much nothing(As well as disprove his baffling belief that the only things we could ever discuss all have to do with bad things involving Russia), I'm putting my terrible predicament into your many oh-so-capable hands.

Ever since an unknown time yesterday(To be exact, it was during the desert mission in Lugaru with the big arena-looking area where you get your armor back, but this might not help in solving the problem), I began experiencing severe performance issues.  Every five minutes or so the game would lag horrendously for ten seconds or so, then go back to normal.  All anti-aliasing would disappear for the duration of the lag spike.  At first I thought something was wrong with Lugaru, but the same thing happened with Titan Quest and Crayon Physics.  There were issues with Dawn of War also, but I didn't play it long enough to get a lag spike.

Does something need to be replaced?  That's gonna suck.

Also, I present before you...

The innards of the PC of Cthulhu(of doom)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Done.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know of a free program that can be used to draw on one's computer screen?  I'm playing I Wanna Be The Guy, and I'm at the area where you shoot the spike and it falls in the spikes and the platforms show up and move around(Also known as screen 2...) and Scotch Tape isn't as obviously visible as I'd hoped for marking the platforms.

UPDATE:  After cleaning up the registry, deleting temporary files, and getting rid of the Miscellany folder I created the day I got the computer(Every time I downloaded something, I put the installer in the folder.  Whenever I no longer used something, I put it in the folder.  I had trimmed it a bit over time, but total there had to have been at least 15 gigabytes in there), and performance has improved significantly, but the problem is still there.  It's just not as bad.

Does anyone know any more ways I can streamline the computer's functioning?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:27:26 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On an unrelated note, does anyone know of a free program that can be used to draw on one's computer screen?  I'm playing I Wanna Be The Guy, and I'm at the area where you shoot the spike and it falls in the spikes and the platforms show up and move around(Also known as screen 2...) and Scotch Tape isn't as obviously visible as I'd hoped for marking the platforms.
You could always try one of those destroy-your-screen timewasters. It seems that, while that isn't the main purpose of the program, it would work.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Pfft. If I could beat that section from memory, I'm sure you can. It only reverses direction a couple times.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I did it without the tape, I just had to try it a few times.

Now I'm stuck at the part where you have to drop down onto the platform between the spikes, and fall off of it into the hole it left, and there are the spikes in the area below it.  I can't turn that fast in midair.
Shoes...

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not entirely versed in this, but....

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
       AGP Status: Enabled

What the fuck?

Second, have you tryed opening the case after a good long session, and feeling the card's heatsink? It could be heat and faulty fan (?) controls. Not sure if 8500GT's have fans :X Second, sounds like you have an older computer; have you checked the PSU? Also, make sure to check back with everyone if yo ustart to get artifacts or screen distortion.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

When my desktop's PSU fan died, I began getting weird stuff. For example, games would run normally until a graphics-heavy segment was encountered, at which point the GPU shut itself off, and the screen went black. It would only turn itself back on when the graphics load lessened (such as if I hit escape to get to the menu of the game). Later it turned out that the PSU issues were a lot more dangerous, and when I changed the sturdy 4800Ti to a 5500, it died within a few months.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I'm not entirely versed in this, but....

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
       AGP Status: Enabled

What the fuck?

Second, have you tryed opening the case after a good long session, and feeling the card's heatsink? It could be heat and faulty fan (?) controls. Not sure if 8500GT's have fans :X Second, sounds like you have an older computer; have you checked the PSU? Also, make sure to check back with everyone if yo ustart to get artifacts or screen distortion.

How is that a wtf thing?

Also, working on checking the temperature now.

EDIT:  Nvidia control panel is crashing.  Great.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:30:38 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Update:

Just used a temperature monitor.

Even in the lag spikes, the temperature never goes above 75 degrees.  What else could be causing this?

Upon opening up the processes tab, I think I've discovered the problem.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:59:33 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a problem with that once. I turned off the automatic update service and everything has been getting along peacefully so far.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I'm now 100% certain it's memory-related.

Nothing in my computer went above normal temperature when it choked, cleaning up my registry and such improved it slightly, and with the svchost fixed and an undefraggable WoW file I no longer need deleted, the problem has been reduced to an almost undetectable hang combined with a sudden lack of antialiasing for like a second.
Shoes...

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats a WTF moment, because as far as I know, they never made 8500GT AGP cards.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.