Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Any interest for a 2009 Dwarf Fortress meetup?  (Read 18958 times)

Washii

• Bay Watcher
  • Schwa?
    • View Profile
    • WashiiPonderings
Re: Any interest for a 2009 Dwarf Fortress meetup?
« Reply #180 on: March 05, 2009, 02:54:27 pm »

Just about a block up 1st Ave from the Art Museum?

From Google Maps, it seems there may be three parking lots within about 2-3 blocks, though I'm somewhat curious how good parking will be in May, so close to Pike Place Market.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Is there parking below the Viaduct? I can't remember, as my family never drove/parked down there.

Edit2: Pike Place sounds excellent.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:26:50 pm by Washii »

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2009, 03:20:42 pm »

Quote from: Turnpikelad
All right, I'm going to make another thread as soon as we decide on a place to eat.  I've done some thinking and it seems like there's only one reasonable choice.

Last time we went to Ivar's, and while the atmosphere was great, the food was mediocre and it cost us an arm and a leg.  We need to go somewhere a bit less expensive, but still somewhere where there's a lot of tables we can pull together and a big space where it doesn't matter if we get a bit.. rowdy.  Plus, a place with really good food is preferred.

I don't want to do ethnic food, even if it's really good like Ethiopian, because there might be someone who doesn't like it and then they're out of luck.  Also, Ethiopian is really messy, everybody eating with their hands and stuff, which might not be good if we end up bringing laptops for fortressing.  So it should be a classic Americana place like Red Robin.  Except for the fact that the Red Robin down on the waterfront has waiters who must be stoned all the time because they forget people's orders and are terrible at cooking burgers.  I read a review by someone who said that their burger was almost uncooked resulting in food poisoning.

So, the only reasonable spot left in Seattle is the Pike Place Brewery.  It's got a big seating area and great food, it's open late, and even though the name might lead you to think that it's mainly about alcoholic drinks let me assure you that they have ample and delicious food and a lot of restaurant seating that's not 21+.  It's a great atmosphere and a fun place to hang out.  Plus it's not that expensive for Seattle:  entrees range from 9 to 15 bucks.

If people are agreed upon this, and agreed about the date May 9th, I'm going to make reservations and make a new thread.
(quoted for next page)

Just about a block up 1st Ave from the Art Museum?

From Google Maps, it seems there may be three parking lots within about 2-3 blocks, though I'm somewhat curious how good parking will be in May, so close to Pike Place Market.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Is there parking below the Viaduct? I can't remember, as my family never drove/parked down there.

Yes, there's parking beneath the Viaduct.  It's all public parking and it probably will fill up on a Saturday.  I used to work at the Pike Place Market, though, and I can give you a map to a parking lot that is almost never full (because people don't know about it.)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Alaskan+Way+%26+Pine+St,+Seattle,+King,+Washington+98101&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=48.909425,79.101563&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=Fdpy1gIdRy61-A&split=0&ll=47.608948,-122.343444&spn=0.002561,0.004828&z=18

Going north on Alaskan Way (not the viaduct, the surface street) turn right on Pine.  There is a parking lot after half a block that spreads out behind these buildings.  There are almost always some spots there.  There are stairs going up from the lot to Western, and then you can walk a couple blocks south and take stairs up to Union where the brewery is.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Washii

• Bay Watcher
  • Schwa?
    • View Profile
    • WashiiPonderings
« Reply #182 on: March 05, 2009, 03:24:06 pm »

That's awesome. Thanks TurnpikeLad.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2009, 08:22:47 pm »

Well, is anyone heading out from the great lakes region of Canada, more specifically Kingston, Ontario? Its a heck of a hike, but it should be a piece of cake after the 5000km ride to vancouver, and the 5000km back.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2009, 10:26:49 am »

Maybe I should rephrase my question:  Is anybody _against_ meeting at the Pike Place Brewery?
Adon * Amil * Orethan

dibujante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2009, 11:28:19 am »

Maybe I should rephrase my question:  Is anybody _against_ meeting at the Pike Place Brewery?
Not I. Pike Place sounds delicious.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2009, 05:27:57 pm »

Aren't there people coming who are under 21?

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2009, 05:44:16 pm »

Quote from: Turnpikelad
So, the only reasonable spot left in Seattle is the Pike Place Brewery.  It's got a big seating area and great food, it's open late, and even though the name might lead you to think that it's mainly about alcoholic drinks let me assure you that they have ample and delicious food and a lot of restaurant seating that's not 21+.  It's a great atmosphere and a fun place to hang out.  Plus it's not that expensive for Seattle:  entrees range from 9 to 15 bucks.

And no, I'm not opposed to that place.  Sounds delicious. :P  Like dijubante said.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2009, 05:08:44 pm »

There are (last I checked)

I am 100% full support of the Pike place as long as there are no age restrictions for entry. I don't suspect that there will be, since there isn't for the local Brewery/Resteraunt in Colorado Springs, but you never know.

Someone confirm that underage people can get into there (my 1 year old son will be with me.) and make us some reservations! Just be sure we can get drop-ins and drop-outs, so that we can have people who show up show up, and not get in trouble for those that don't.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2009, 09:42:32 pm »

I confirmed that there was plenty of under-21 seating at the brewery before I made my post. 

Since there seems to be no objections, I'm going to make a reservation and a new thread tomorrow.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2009, 01:43:57 am »

This is the kind of thing where I would love to go, but would only be able to make it if it were in new england...  :(
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2009, 03:38:05 pm »

Pike Place Brewery on the 9th? Kickass, I'm in.

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2009, 11:06:20 pm »

I didn't want to clutter up the rsvp thread with nonsense.

distance prevents me from going. but I will set aside the date to enjoy plenty of this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm back!

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2009, 11:15:50 am »

distance prevents me from going. but I will set aside the date to enjoy plenty of this.

Anyone can clearly see from the writing on the bottom of that bottle that this is ELVISH wine!     :o
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2009, 02:11:20 pm »

Anyone can clearly see from the writing on the bottom of that bottle that this is ELVISH wine!     :o

Made by elves...
or made out of elves
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14