Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenge fort: Vermin food only  (Read 1341 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Challenge fort: Vermin food only
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:01:39 am »

Due to a mismanagedment my most recent fort i was unable to cook a part of my booze before dwarves started hunting vermin for food. Preparing to abandon and reset the world as i was planning to build something crazy and cba to micromanage my dwarves up to working condition again i noticed everybody running to the exposed part of the chasm and catch one of the many bugs flying arround there in less then a minute rl and continue working, albeit slightly unhappier then before. This had me wondering, how many dwarves could be kept alive by a chasm spammed full of bridges to make it more acessible, staggered every z lvl to prevent dwarves from falling all the way? If it works, we got a 0 micromanagement food setup, combined with an aquifier to keep dwarves stocked of fluid. It would be alot harder to keep dwarves happy and you can't export $999999999 meals anymore as there isn't anything to cook. Thoughts or an interesting location?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge fort: Vermin food only
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:15:55 am »

Has to be worth a try. Although do hungry dwarves still rush traders to eat their goods?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:04 am »

They'll waste lots of time hunting vermin. But it can indeed support several dozens of dwarves. Tried that with trappers and lots of animal traps and it works fine. Too bad you still need booze - either import it or set up a cloth industry with river spirits and dwarven ale as by-products (they are brewed from rope reed and pig tail respectively).

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:11:13 am »

Eventually you run out of vermin, just like you run out of huntable animals. A single adopted cat will also quickly destroy your 'food' supply if you don't take care of it quickly.

some biomes don't have vermin at all, but I guess you would take that into account when you start the fort.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:53:32 pm »

They respawn. And cats are death to such fortress, yeah.