Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Stock World Discussion *Warning Wall-o-Text*  (Read 9456 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Re: Stock World Discussion *Warning Wall-o-Text*
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 06:40:51 pm »

Goblins are awesome. I imagine that the thieves take children to be slaves, ones which lack the willpower to rebel. Some may gain some respect, the especially brutal and unforgiving ones. Perhaps over generations, they can become goblins.

So they breed into those they capture the qualities that the master race (from their perspective) possesses in such great quantity. The ugly words in their languages were probably invented to refer to their slaves and the horrible things that happen to them.

This would conflict with the morals of other races.

Now for the sieges. The goblins would want the things dwarves have. The goblins don't want to pay for it. Once the dwarves are gone, the goblins get the loot.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 07:00:35 pm »

I think dwarves value self-betterment and creation above many things. The single most important event in a dwarf's life is when they are seized with inspiration and create an artifact, as evidenced by the effect that a failed mood has on the dwarf's psychological state. Their craftsdwarfship is unparalleled among the stock civilizations. They see their duty as to create the perfect world.

Thus they are in direct conflict with the elves, who seem to not value creation, but rather the lack of destruction. They see the world as perfect as it is, and their duty is that of maintainers.

In other words, a dwarf shapes the world according to his vision. An elf shapes himself* to better fit into the world.

I'm not sure how to think of goblins. Future updates might further clarify their place in the world.

*(And other sentient creatures)
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 08:19:55 pm »

First, let's consider the world itself.  When it was created someone or something sealed a whole bunch of demons inside pits and then covered the pits with adamantine and then covered the adamantine with mountains.  Who could have done this?  Dwarf and human gods don't actually exist in and of themselves, elves don't believe in gods, and goblins worship the aforementioned demons.  The only actual [POWERS] in existence that would be capable of sealing the fiends of hell underneath the mountains are the demons themselves.  So personally I've taken to believing that the demons we see ruling the goblins are the strongest demons, who imprisoned their brethren underneath the mountains so they wouldn't have to share the overworld.  Discuss.

I like this. Kinda reminds me of the old Greek myths, where the titan Cronus beat the crap out of his father, ate his children so they wouldn't do the same to him, and then one of said children (zeus), erm, liberated his siblings and locked Cronus (and his siblings) deep in the bowels of the earth.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:33 pm »

Dwarf and human gods don't actually exist in and of themselves
Why does "talking to gods" keep cropping up in the adv mode fora then? How do you find them to talk to?   k
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 08:31:18 pm »

Dwarf and human gods don't actually exist in and of themselves
Why does "talking to gods" keep cropping up in the adv mode fora then? How do you find them to talk to?   k

You go talk to a high priest about the services you can offer. After that, the high priest's god will be available to talk to at all times. Gods don't have much to say, though.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

James Sunderland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 11:57:04 am »

I've never thought about Demons being imprisoned in the mountains. But it does make sense. And it is a cool thought. Maybe there was an "Elder" race that was mighty and powerful that fought the demons in the begining of time and sealed them away. Wait a moment...Elder race...sealing something away below the earth...I'm ripping off Lovecraft. Or maybe the demons became what they were due to the fact that they were underground for eons.

Until I embarked on a map with an aquifer, I had always taken rocks for granite.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 12:02:16 pm »

There are holes that go straight to the bowels of hell.
What? Where'd those come from?
Vertical mining?

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 12:07:36 pm »

Anyway, I am exploring and run into a goblin thief. I talk to him and ask him about his profession. What does he say? He brings the lost children home.

sigged
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 01:36:41 pm »

I think that the gods sealed the daemons inside the mountains. also I think that the dwarfs in the players expedition are all the crazy/stupid ones.
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 01:42:42 pm »

I agree; the gods sealed the demons inside. What would be neat is - perhaps someday after many arcs are completed and deities fleshed out...we could find /gods/ in the pits, in worlds where the demons kick the God's asses in the age of Myths.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 02:20:53 pm »

Alath, god of carp and child birth ♂
Running around Babbling!

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 02:40:48 pm »

I wonder if when you release the gods, they start another war with the daemons that will change the geography of the world!
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 05:33:04 pm »

I think a lot about the stock world will change before release, hopefully for the better, or at least more interesting. Not that it isn't interesting now. I think the mythical beings will be fleshed out a bit more -- right now, demons, megabeasts, noncorporeal deities, and false gods are objects of worship. Animism, pantheism, monotheism, and ancestor/hero/saint/artificer veneration should be possible. In the latter case, the first member of a race would of paramount importance, but other major leaders, warriors, patriarchs, and prophets would be religious figures as well. Hopefully the mythos is Elder-Scrollsish, in terms of being vague and subject to much disagreement between belief systems, but with many underlying similarities and many cases of the clearly supernatural existing.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:18 pm »

About the elves, I actually really like them this violent. I seriously think this should be a lot worse. I'm so bloody fed up with the elitist Tolkienesque elves, and would like to go back to the Fae and spirits they are based on. The Ljusalf/Svartalf of norse mythology, or the Fair Folk in the irish one. Basicly the Fae are divided into two camps, the Seele and Unseelie. The Unseelie were the childrobbing golbins, so it's only logical that the elves should be the Seelie. And they are only good compared to the Unseelie. The elves should be violent, elitist, carnivourous, and more like nature. I reccomend reading the Kult Sourcebook Gaia for a nightmarish vision of what nature is really like. Survivalist, amoral (not Immoral), sexual, hungry, constantly changing and adapting, hunting. More like this:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meaning can
twist just like a snake, and if you want to
find snakes look for them behind words that
have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
— Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

I reccomend this link for other examples of mean and vicous fairy folk. Elves that eat your children.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 06:19:57 pm »

About the elves, I actually really like them this violent. I seriously think this should be a lot worse. I'm so bloody fed up with the elitist Tolkienesque elves, and would like to go back to the Fae and spirits they are based on. The Ljusalf/Svartalf of norse mythology, or the Fair Folk in the irish one. Basicly the Fae are divided into two camps, the Seele and Unseelie. The Unseelie were the childrobbing golbins, so it's only logical that the elves should be the Seelie. And they are only good compared to the Unseelie. The elves should be violent, elitist, carnivourous, and more like nature. I reccomend reading the Kult Sourcebook Gaia for a nightmarish vision of what nature is really like. Survivalist, amoral (not Immoral), sexual, hungry, constantly changing and adapting, hunting. More like this:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meaning can
twist just like a snake, and if you want to
find snakes look for them behind words that
have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
— Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

I reccomend this link for other examples of mean and vicous fairy folk. Elves that eat your children.
*Kogan Loloklam cancels click link. Misplaced job item*
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 [2] 3