Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [40d] - [New thread to be opened for 0.31]  (Read 120726 times)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After looking through all of the available set, being the picky bugger that I am, I decided to Frankenstein together my own mix, as well as add some new tiles to the mix.

As an addition, I rejigged all of the stone, soil, ore, and gem tiles so that you can tell what you are looking at a lot more easily without having to check with 'k'.  I think I've put together one of the more graphically rich sets out there right now and I'd appreciate any feedback that you guys have.

This is designed to be played with accented characters removed.  As long as the game continues to use characters as graphics, I don't think it can afford the luxury of fluff like accented characters.  Not at the expense of other aspects.

Here is a summary of what each of the ore tiles means

"Special Ores" encompasses Bituminous Coal, Lignite (Fuels) and Bauxite (Magma-Safe)

Enjoy!

Mod only: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=794
Bundled with 40d: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1684
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:18:24 am by RantingRodent »
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: New Tile/Graphics set with fully redone matgloss tiles
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:55 am »

The set is looking good.  :)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:47:45 am »

The download is murderously slow for some reason, can you upload it to a better site?
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:15:47 pm »

Hooooleeeeeeee SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-

This is awesome. Dl'd once for the pack, twice for a backup and 5 more times to populate my recycle bin.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:51:06 pm »

The download is murderously slow for some reason, can you upload it to a better site?

This is awesome. Dl'd once for the pack, twice for a backup and 5 more times to populate my recycle bin.

Well thar's your problem!

(Yeah, i totally know those two posts are six hours apart, i just thought they looked funny together.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 05:52:44 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:33:34 pm »

Wow, this looks really cool. Does it have any human civilians? I know a lot of graphics sets don't and even if it doesn't I'm sure ill use this.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:19:26 pm »

I'm glad you like it.  My general philosophy is to increase the amount of information the game provides you visually, wherever I can.   I'll be uploading it to DFFD in the next few days, which should resolve any download speed issues some people are having.  My web host should be pretty fast (they're one of the best), but a little redundancy never hurt anyone.

I'm using a modified version of Sphr's graphics set (actually I started based on his WIP set, so if anyone knows of any issues there please let me know).  I haven't expanded the races yet, although I am working on making his gobbos grey in order to fit canon.  I made graphics for the birds only to discover that vermin don't have graphics support yet.

The only new original graphics I've added are a real sprite for the Longnose Gar and Carp (the horror), also I replaced the Tiger sprite with my own.  All of the big cats looked basically identical, and I am trying to replace each one with at least a slightly different pose.  Based on that Tiger I also converted the Tiger Men.

I also changed all animal graphics so that living animals face left and undead animals face right.  It was too hard to distinguish living from zombies in a lot of cases.  I added a little up arrow icon to the giant versions of the big cats.  That's not really a detail you want to be unaware of, in my opinion.

Funny story, I based the Carp sprite off of Silver Carp based on the fact that I found an article saying they are dangerous to fisherman.  Apparently, the 70-80 lb fish are known to leap out of the water when spooked by engine noise.  They jump high enough that they can nail a fisherman standing on the boat.  Seems DF emulates reality better than we thought.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:54:50 pm »

Wow, this looks really cool. Does it have any human civilians? I know a lot of graphics sets don't and even if it doesn't I'm sure ill use this.

Just to be clear, my answer was a no.  Sphr never did the human civvies.  I'll see if I can find the time to get them in there myself.  It's been a long time since Sphr's last update so I've decided to try to pick up where he left off.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 07:28:41 am »

That's pretty beautiful, if a little "busy" for my tastes.  Does it mess with the periods and commas in text?

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:55:52 am »

That's pretty beautiful, if a little "busy" for my tastes.  Does it mess with the periods and commas in text?

I took the comma and period from the Aesomatica tileset.  They still look like a comma and a period, but there's some shading added and some dots added in to give them more flavour in their other roles.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 08:41:11 am »

This was easier than I expected.

Human professions done except for the mechanical disciplines.  Ran out of time this morning.  I considered trying to differentiate more from the dwarf professions, but I think that just confuses things.  I will be doing all races with very similar profession iconography.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Tile/Graphics set [Matgloss overhaul][Human Professions]
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 04:37:16 pm »

Impressive work.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 05:30:46 pm »

This was easier than I expected.

Human professions done except for the mechanical disciplines.  Ran out of time this morning.  I considered trying to differentiate more from the dwarf professions, but I think that just confuses things.  I will be doing all races with very similar profession iconography.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I swear to god.. If this set gets any better I'm going to have to steal it  >:(
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 06:57:12 pm »

Finally, someone working on the ultimate tileset.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 07:59:38 pm »

Thanks for the praise.  Criticism also greatly appreciated.  I want to refine this to be a great set.

Just found out that you can set the bg colour for each rock type, which means that I can fix the invisible designation problem with the solid rock tiles.  Next update should include that and the remainder of the human professions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38