Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wanted spelled or mistyped: What  (Read 1503 times)

jaded empath

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Figures...
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted spelled or mistyped: What
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 01:41:17 am »

If you're on a mac (or any unix-y thing) it's a piece of cake...  Just grep for it:

Simply (from the src directory):
grep "Burning a piece" */*.cpp
 tells me it's in the sitemode/talk.cpp file.  Then just vi it.

If you're more of a unix-head you could probably fix it in one "sed" command instead...

There must be a "grep" for windows too, no?

Oh, yeah; 'findstr'.  But like much of anything truly functional in Windoz; it's not immediately apparent - they don't want End-Users having access to too much... (FDISK.exe in pre-Win2K, anyone?  :( )

And one thing to note about WordPad; if you're not careful, your edited file ceases to be plain-text.
"Dinosaurs are the ultimate icon for an evolutionary fact which we generally ignore, and definitely find uncomfortable to think about: nearly all species that have ever existed are extinct." - Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen; The Science of Discworld
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." - George Carlin

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted spelled or mistyped: What
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 10:24:18 am »

Or if you open a text with Unix line feeds it gets saved as Windows line feeds.
That's not normally a problem unless you're working with some weird development environment like mingw.

I prefer to install Notepad2. I've already set it as my default text editor.

Also, post windows XP I've never had vanilla notepad choke on big files. The windows-95/98/ME version did have a 64 kb limit, but I've opened logs that are several megabytes long and it only takes a few more seconds to open them.
Pages: 1 [2]