Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)  (Read 34220 times)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Re: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 02:01:48 pm »

I checked it, but it put me off with its paying scheme. It seems that paying for the account lets you develop in seven spheres instead of two...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 02:29:58 pm »

I checked it, but it put me off with its paying scheme. It seems that paying for the account lets you develop in seven spheres instead of two...

If I read the manual correctly, getting your house powerful enough let's you play 7 spheres instead of 2.  Paying lets you play more then 7 spheres.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 03:09:21 pm »

Unfortunately, not.

In order to encourage players to take up site membership, certain benefits will be available to site subscribers only. At present, the ability to operate in three or more spheres, which is applicable to all Houses of Status 25 or more, is only available to site members.

If a user takes out site subscription and fails to renew this, their spheres will be closed down in the following order until only two spheres are left open:

* Exploration, Covert Ops, Military, Mysticism, Politics, Agriculture, Construction, Financial, Psionics, Geological, Mercantile, Technology

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 03:26:11 pm »

Oh that's disappointing.  Well, I'll try this thing out anyway and see how it goes.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 04:11:50 pm »

Well, you have to pay for those GMs...well...somehow. Meh. I'm starting to regret my very own plan for a MMORPG too, because I know it's going to turn out just like this...except it'd be for free.

Anyway, it seems I'm getting a profit thanks to people donating money. My galaxy however is suffering through stagnation, and there is talk of people nuking my entire galaxy...just so the Houses can have fun. I am getting bored, I'm going to start a Free Trade movement.

EDIT: Here's an interesting idea. We all build up our resources, then we all decide to go transfer our houses all to one galaxy. Then we have the Bay12Games alliance.

EDIT2: By the way, the Imperium Nova IRC channel knows we're here.

EDIT3: And they just linked to our very topic.

EDIT4: <@Ominous> Yes, we're not fond of external forum alliances.  The last time we had something like that in Avalon we ran the players out of our galaxy, pillaged their villages, heard the lamentations of their women, sowed their fields with salt, and kicked their puppies.

Erm. Maybe no external forum alliances? (I know that it's a little jokey, but still...)

EDIT5: <@Ominous> We're wary of external forum alliances, but, as long as the alliance doesn't act too clannish, no one should have any issue with it.

There is also mention of an external forum alliance that eventually turned into a general alliance and so tolerated.

And here's the general wiki for the IN they pointed out.
http://inwiki.wikispot.org/Front_Page
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:52:22 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 08:11:59 pm »

Can we transfer to a specific galaxy?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 08:28:26 pm »

Great, now I have the paranoid feeling someone is watching me...

I joined (Draco galaxy) but I'm not sure if I want to stick with it or not.  The sphere limitation doesn't really concern me too much.  But there's a bunch of things that are just sorta... meh.  I can't say why they in any way affect game fun, but for some reason they turn me off.

The big guys are BIG.  As far as I can tell, they've got orders of magnitude more power then minnows, not just many times more.  I think it's really cool that they limited the size of the galaxy to mean that people can't just infinitely expand out and dwarf you.  But the existing big dogs have built a massive infrastructure on my starting world, despite being nowhere near me.  They're nice enough to give me some room to grow, but there's no reason for me to be there.  I'm not the lord of my own small world.  I'm a twelve year old who set up a lemonaide stand in front of the Emperor States Building.

The game isn't very feudal either.  In fact, it's very capitalistic.  Feudalism requires wealth to be equal to land (usually farmland but sometimes mines, very occasionally trading concessions.)  The feudalism emerges when a bunch of local strongmen control a bunch of patches of land to support themselves as warriors.  Dress it up in chivalry if you want, codify it in bushido or just proudly declare yourself a bastard, but in the end you are just a thug guarding a patch of land.  It's all very petty, but the pettiness is where the fun come in; you want to be richer?  Get more land!  Without this feudalism, there's no point to war, everyone can grow fat together.  There's conflicts at the top, but they look to be pissing matches brought on by too much money.  There's no conflicts at the bottom because no one could afford it, which is darn backwards.  A fight is the petty thugs chance to hit it big!

Then there's the whole user interface thing.  I'm trying to be a mercantile house but am having an impossible time doing price comparisons.  I know there's some very lucrative opportunities locally, too, if I can find them.  But I have to use one window to select two different planets on the galaxy map to compare prices, which takes forever and I haven't even started setting up my ports yet!

Still, there are some cool points.  They broke the 4X mold which so many browser MMORPGs have copied with no inspiration.  You can actually matter to your fellow players and vice versa.  And there looks like there's some actual politicking going on, even if that is pissing matches.

Edit:  Oh Jeezus, I just found out about tech pyramids.  I... don't think this game is for me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:39:00 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 08:58:45 pm »

The irony is that the big houses are more than willing to help the small houses. All you have to do is ask nicely, and they'll give you lots of money and concessions to help.

EDIT: It seems the only thing that I can see as semi-feudalistic is the idea of Marriages. But meh.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:03:14 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 09:25:21 pm »

Unfortunately, not.

In order to encourage players to take up site membership, certain benefits will be available to site subscribers only. At present, the ability to operate in three or more spheres, which is applicable to all Houses of Status 25 or more, is only available to site members.

If a user takes out site subscription and fails to renew this, their spheres will be closed down in the following order until only two spheres are left open:

* Exploration, Covert Ops, Military, Mysticism, Politics, Agriculture, Construction, Financial, Psionics, Geological, Mercantile, Technology
* Rilder immediatly closes the site, screw that

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:35:53 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ominous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 09:47:41 pm »

Tech pyramids aren't in the game anymore.  After one of the nerfs, they weren't viable.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2009, 03:25:52 am »

Tech pyramids aren't in the game anymore.  After one of the nerfs, they weren't viable.

Really? That's really great news. I played a few months back, and the high status Houses all had massive tech operations making massive amounts of money.

And mercantile can be a fun sphere, just takes a lot of effort when you're not a subscriber (subscribers get a trade comparetor). Once you get a few facilities up it can even get a little addicting. I used to wake up and spent half an hour checking my trade routes and rejigging any sagging ones to make a better profit.

What sucks is when you're nicely established and a rival mercantile house starts up operations on your high profit planets >< It'll dry up your cash flow and it's very difficult to do anything with no money. And it's degrading asking for handouts. Hmm, if it'd be less degrading if one called it a "stimulus" instead. :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2009, 10:49:35 am »

In draco they call it a stimulus.   ;)

In draco there's a bunch of laws and stuff concerning tech pyramids.  So it seems to me they're still in.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 07:11:02 pm »

Anyone here in C? I seem to recovering from the disaster I self-inflicted on myself, I should be making a profit soon.

Ominous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 11:00:42 pm »

In draco there's a bunch of laws and stuff concerning tech pyramids.  So it seems to me they're still in.
There are tech stacks, which are used to allow for more research facilities to be built.  However, if they get too big they hurt profits.  Unlike pre-nerf, where they could get monstrous and turn massive profits.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 07:13:34 pm »

...Don't tell me I'm the only Bay12er that actually still plays this game?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23