Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)  (Read 33799 times)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:44:21 pm »

Any [Imperium Nova players here?

http://www.imperiumnova.com:8080/Imperium/

I can't even remember how I stumbled across this game, but it's pretty cool. It's roleplay intensive, which might turn some people off, but if you stick through the roleplay you'll discover the game to be totally engrossing.

You know how the galactic empire was depicted in Dune? Well, you begin this game as minor (minnow) noble House and well, the rest is up to you. There are multiple galaxies, each its own empire with its own Emperor. Some Houses have backstabbed their way to the crown and others took the crown with the help of a broad alliance. Still other emperors are elected from users.

The downside of the game is that it takes awhile for your House to get going and making money. The other is that the game is measured by days, and one day is 2 hours. To put this in perspective, sometimes it takes 30 - 40 days to build something.

But while you're waiting for your army to be raised, or for your farms to be completed, you can always role play. National issues always pop up which keeps role play interesting. A Rogue House with well funded allies can fund piracy and disrupt trade all over the galaxy. Sometimes even civil war breaks out and your House has to choose a side.

Anyways. I'm babbling now. Give it a try and see if any of you like it. :3

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:19:31 pm »

"If using a free mail account you may need to email the GM to request your code, as the autosent mail may be blocked by the account provider."

Ugh. That's no good.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:27:33 pm »

"If using a free mail account you may need to email the GM to request your code, as the autosent mail may be blocked by the account provider."

Ugh. That's no good.
Not like it's anything they can control or their fault..
Hotmail/etc block ALL KINDS OF THINGS.  And they won't allow you to even request whitelisting.
It's block or no block. No block -> unblock.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:40:39 pm »

This could be fun.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:14:34 pm »

Welcome to galaxy Capricorn of Imperium Nova, Servant

Alright. I got in.

EDIT: I established the Dan Fodio dynasty. And I'm in the business of Psi. Whatever that is.

EDIT2: Help! How do I build stuff?

EDIT3: I know how to build stuff, but I just realized my name: "Dan Fodio" might be illegal. Should I reroll and create a Drawven religion?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:10:23 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:50:49 pm »

Psi corps are, well, spies. It's not a sphere for beginners though as you need to have a high amount of capital available. Beginner spheres are geological, transportation, mercantile and agriculture. These spheres are easy to get into and they don't really cost much.

Oh, and there's no such thing as beginner debt. So if you try a business venture and it fails terribly you can reroll your House.

Hm. Read the manual for the game. It's a real help, and it clarifies some of the game's points.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:05:05 pm »

I like the whole "future fedalism" setting, but I'm very skeptical about browser based MMO's, especially 4Xs.  My prior experience with those left me feeling that I had no need to worry about any other player except to attack them.  I was surrounded by players, but all alone.  Do IN get you into the thick of things from the start or do you have to force your way in?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 11:07:16 pm »

Psi are spies? Bah. And I posted an entire thread about how my Psi factories exist to help prepare people for the "Hereafter".

The reason I went into Psi Corps was because I thought it would be easy. Throw money in an area, get money back. No need for micromanging. If it fails, I'll just reroll my house and try Mysticism.

Actually though, to me at the very least, this isn't really Fedualism. I'm seeing it more as a Futuristic Corporationism, and your dynasty as a "Board of Directors". Your goal isn't to seize land, but make money and gain Influence via "business ventures". You have an army, of course, but the goal of the army is to protect your business ventures. Presumably, as long as you don't annoy anyone, you won't get attacked.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 11:10:06 pm by Servant Corps »

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:20:51 pm »

Oh, and everyone you play with is human. And there are laws etc. So if you start a House and began pillaging or attacking random people you'll get smushed pretty quick.

And mysticism is a bad sphere too >< It's basically a luxury sphere for rich nobles. Seriously, start with agriculture, trading or transportation. Much easier.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 11:31:01 pm »

Actually though, to me at the very least, this isn't really Fedualism. I'm seeing it more as a Futuristic Corporationism, and your dynasty as a "Board of Directors". Your goal isn't to seize land, but make money and gain Influence via "business ventures". You have an army, of course, but the goal of the army is to protect your business ventures. Presumably, as long as you don't annoy anyone, you won't get attacked.

I don't think it's feudalism either, but feudalism would be kinda boring to play after awhile. Cuz eventually, you'd up being someone's bitch whether you like it or not.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:02:19 am »

I played in a feudalistic game and enjoyed it. I ran a Corporate Fedualist nation in a RP board too before abandoning it.

One of the rules I like in fedualism is this: "the Lord of my Lord is not my Lord". And some vassals ended up being more powerful than their nominal 'lords'. Really interesting.

EDIT: Okay. Been reading the rules. Agriculture gets a susbidy at the begining of the game and later on will get punished. The only industry might be good for me (gameplay-wise) is Mining. Click a button to find a Resource, and then click another button to mine it all down. But I don't know. Mining is sorta like grinding...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:04:57 am by Servant Corps »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 12:20:54 am »

Bah... House Gayar of Nekkar planet [Imperial Coordinates [5,-7]]
The first thing I wanted to do is to upgrade my mining factory... And it tells that I'm violating a monopoly... Argh.. What to do?!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:43 am »

Attack dogs.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 12:27:07 am »

Post on the local forums, find out what's going on in local politics, and ally with the first House you see.

EDIT: Bah. I wouldn't be surpised if I go into mining and find out that all planets have monopolies except for the unexplored planets. This makes me a tad upset. Maybe I go to mysticism and just provide cheap lesiure. I mean, there's only a couple of Imperial cults right now. Maybe I can bring the same amount of activity to Imperium Nova as maniac has brought to eThailand.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:42:10 am by Servant Corps »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 01:23:35 am »

Looks cool in theory, but I have a lot of bad luck with these things.  I gave up on Ogame because once I reached a certain level of development, I was just constantly besieged by raiding players.  The worse I did, the more disinterested I became, so the less I checked in, so the worse I did and so forth.

I take it the Military, Politics, and Construction spheres are not good for newbs?  They certainly sound like they'd need a lot of capital.

The idea that I can only work within two spheres without shelling out real money is a pretty big disincentive too.  I doubt I get into it enough to even hit that limitation, but if I do, I really can't afford it.

Also, no discussion yet of an all Bay12 Forum alliance?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23