Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wheelchairs  (Read 2052 times)

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wheelchairs
« on: April 12, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

There's something like this in the bloats (I think it's prosthetic limbs), but I'm always annoyed when my dorfs sit in bed for months, and this could even let people with spinal injuries be marginally useful. I propose the ability to construct a wheelchair at certain workshops (forge/carpenter's?), using wood/metal and a few mechanisms. It works, essentially, like a chain. You can assign dwarves to it, you can build it somewhere (though it can then be moved once occupied), and it is stored with furniture. Once a dwarf is moved into a wheelchair, he would be able to perform whatever seems reasonable - perhaps hauling tasks, maybe workshop stuff.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Wheelchairs
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

I think wheelchairs are a tad too futuristic for this game... but then again, these are dwarves we're talking about. Personally, I would prefer crutches to give to our wounded. Seems much more fitting to me.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

anything to keep dwarfs with a bruised wrist from dying of dehydration

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

I would prefer some kind of alcohol IV, you can't have too much blood in your alcohol stream, that's just plain unhealthy.

Or some kind of dwarven Darth Vader life support suit that stops working if it's damaged too badly.

[ April 12, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

I like the crutch idea.  Also basic prosthetics- The cyberfist can wait for the future, but peg legs and hooks would be cool.
I bet they'd be a bitch to implement, though.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>I think wheelchairs are a tad too futuristic for this game... but then again, these are dwarves we're talking about. Personally, I would prefer crutches to give to our wounded. Seems much more fitting to me.</STRONG>

Wheelchairs have been around since the middle ages. Also, some Romans let themselves be pushed around in 'em.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »

Actually, I have suggested a doctor job, which can both heal dwarves and create crutches, casts, slings, etc to help dwarves heal faster and not be as hindered by their wounds.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>Actually, I have suggested a doctor job, which can both heal dwarves and create crutches, casts, slings, etc to help dwarves heal faster and not be as hindered by their wounds.</STRONG>

...and actually feed them  :)

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks