Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The 17c/45 Caterpillar spaceship  (Read 2291 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: The 17c/45 Caterpillar spaceship
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 02:55:54 am »

Well beyond graphical comprehension. The computer can do it very well. And i have done once an 100*100*100*100 life and it was mindblowing ^^.

edit: i have programmed the one time i was halfdrunken with bottle on the table. Half the fun was that for every new dozen of compilerfailures i had to drink a bit more.

I also advice to start with an very small grid of 4*4*4*4 and very low turns to evaluate working rules for such an system.

edit2: This theme shoulbe in various nonsense

The way to make an graphical interpretation is quite easely for the 4, 5 and 6 dimension. (asumed each "room" dimension has the range of 4)

In the 4 dimension you have an statuslist of the cells embeded into an wireframe cube which presents your first 3 dimensions iirc.  In my 4 dimensional example the code for seted cels would for example be 0,1,0,1. If i add the 5th dimension this list gets an bynary like code: 1010,1100,0101,0011. To add an 6 dimension you change (only graphical) from binary to hex, Dec or if you want to colors. Our binary code the turns to this: 12 15 3 0, 8 7 2 1, .....

The expression in the computer would be not so esoteriacal "bool [n][n][n][n][n][n];" or something like that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:54:59 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: The 17c/45 Caterpillar spaceship
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 01:35:11 pm »

the rules are actually very simple:

the world is seeded with dots.

for every cycle,
any lone dot dies out
any dot next to more than 2 dots dies out

in every spot next to two other dots, a new dot is born.

Actually it's like this.
Empty space, < 3 neighbors: Empty
Empty space, == 3 neighbors: Filled
Empty space, > 3 neighbors: Empty
Filled space, < 2 neighbors: Empty
Filled space, 2 or 3 neighbors: Filled
Filled space, > 3 neighbors: Empty

It checks the surrounding eight spaces.  Fun things have been done with other grids and other rules of course.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2]