Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Food  (Read 4654 times)

scale_e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Food
« on: January 20, 2009, 06:39:36 am »

Hi everyone. Long time player, first time poster, so please bare with me if this has been proposed before.

I like food. I really like food. Alot. I like it so much I'm dating a chef, and working in an abattoir (easy access to practically free meat).

The current cooking system in DF is, well, wunk. Mushroom roasts? Dog meat biscuits?
What I propose is a system where a dish (what we'll call the end result of cooking) has three ingredients, a Primary, Secondary and Tertiary.

The primary and secondary ingredients determine what kind dish it will be, for example, Dog meat and Fat becomes "Dog meat sausages", whereas dog meat and no secondary ingredient becomes "Dog meat roast" (or dog meat steak, would depend on the type of meat I guess, not sure if roast dog tastes better than dog steak, but that's not important at this stage).

Now, the tertiary ingredient is basically a spice, which adds value to the dish. For example, "Dog meat and Black-Pepper Sausages" or "Dog Meat steak w/ Black-Pepper Sauce"

This would also make what type of food your dwarves like more important. A primary ingredient that is a favorite doubles the happy bonus, a secondary and tertiary ingredients are one-and-a-half times as good when they are favorites. Also, when people spend alot of time together, they tend to be drawn to the same food. You know what I mean, Balin sits down at the table with Deep-Fried Carp w/ Dill-and-Lemon-sauce, Gloin says "Hey, that looks good, let me try some. Mmm, this shit is bananas. I like it."

I've also got some ideas about the kitchen itself. Adding things to the kitchen could give more recipes. For example a deep fryer (more uses for fat), or a spit (for roasting).

This leads me to my next point. Food preservation. Things like drying racks could be added. On the other hand salt could be used to preserve meat. Sugar and glass (for jars) to preserve fruits and vegetables. Food preservation should play a MUCH MUCH MUCH*10^ALOT more important role in DF. And, food should either go off quicker, or the years should be longer.

Anyway, that's my rant, I'm off to bake a cake.

Also, where are the goddamn pigs?! I'm a dwarf. I want salted pork!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:56:54 am by scale_e »

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 07:11:07 am »

There are a lot of good ideas in your post (And good on you for joining the forums!). The only think I am a little worried about is the complexity.
The thing that I really like the idea of is the naming convention. I will agree with you, making biscuits out of wine is ludicrous. Even changing the names from biscuit, stew, roast to gruel, soup and stew respectively would make more sense.
The system you propose, with the primary, secondary and tertiary ingredients is what I worry about. Currently, there is nothing stopping a dwarf from creating a wine and rum pizza garnished with slabs of horse meat. Plus, any additional criteria for creating food increases the chances of a beginning fort starving.

On a side note, why do dwarves not have bowls? I am always amused to think of my dwarves carrying stew up to my dining room in their beards.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:32:38 am »

I like the general idea of upgrading workshops (of any kind).

Also I'd like there to be *some* kind of research in-game. Not the kind of research where you invent a completely new tech in the world every few months: that only happens in Star Trek. But research in the meaning that the people in the fortress learn how to make stuff - it is assuming that the civ already knows how to do this, so it's a matter of training, reading, whatever. Increasing your local "knowledge base".

That is so you can upgrade your workshop, such as your kitchen, only after you researched this - so maybe not the first year, but the second or third year.

It also gives something to do other than digging randomly or micromanaging your food production and trade.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:25:26 am »

There have been a few suggestions along this line before (there is a search function....)

Finger wagging aside, this is the best solution I've seen for this, since it could be added to the raw file for each food item rather than stored in some massive new raw.

(Plum Helmet;Primary=Roasted;Secondary=with;Tertiary(Roast)=with dried;Tertiary(Soup)=with chunks of;)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 06:21:56 pm »

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 08:49:47 pm »

Y'know...there's already a few threads on this.

you know, if he went and posted on those threads he would be ridiculed by the forum gestapo for ressurecting an old thread. 

Huzzah to all new forum posters and their NEW take on old ideas.  Thanks to the OP for some interesting ideas!

I never understood why people post in a forum just to tell people not to post in such forums..........  Maybe if more people contributed to the discussion and spent less time worrying about how everyone else contributes to the forum, we could have even more super-win-dwarfiness from Toady's next release.

*Gorjo puts away soapbox.

I like more expansion on food.  Also, upgradable workshops is a awesome idea, cant believe I never thought of it.  I think each workshop should need tools you would either have to embark with, buy from a caravan or create yourself.  Better quality tool, better quality product.  Saws, lathes, grinders, chisels, cooking pots, soup kettles etc. 

On a side note about foor, I always thought the dining rooms should be replaced with restuarant workshops, where different restuarants have different quality kitchens, dining rooms etc for different dwarven tastes.  Then, food would be cooked by the chefs once "ordered" by a dwarf walking in to dine in his favortite type restuarant.  This would help with getting happy thought from food.  Urist McHungry had a his favorite meal at his favorite restuarant:  Whataplumphelmet! or Plump Helmet Bell or McUrist Burgers or Urist's Turtle Shack etc......
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:51:23 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 10:13:01 pm »

you know, if he went and posted on those threads he would be ridiculed by the forum gestapo for ressurecting an old thread. 

Huzzah to all new forum posters and their NEW take on old ideas.  Thanks to the OP for some interesting ideas!

I never understood why people post in a forum just to tell people not to post in such forums..........  Maybe if more people contributed to the discussion and spent less time worrying about how everyone else contributes to the forum, we could have even more super-win-dwarfiness from Toady's next release.

*Gorjo puts away soapbox.

I like more expansion on food.  Also, upgradable workshops is a awesome idea, cant believe I never thought of it.  I think each workshop should need tools you would either have to embark with, buy from a caravan or create yourself.  Better quality tool, better quality product.  Saws, lathes, grinders, chisels, cooking pots, soup kettles etc. 

On a side note about foor, I always thought the dining rooms should be replaced with restuarant workshops, where different restuarants have different quality kitchens, dining rooms etc for different dwarven tastes.  Then, food would be cooked by the chefs once "ordered" by a dwarf walking in to dine in his favortite type restuarant.  This would help with getting happy thought from food.  Urist McHungry had a his favorite meal at his favorite restuarant:  Whataplumphelmet! or Plump Helmet Bell or McUrist Burgers or Urist's Turtle Shack etc......
Or perhaps a Mess Hall of sorts, and would be similar to a workshop that you load down with various foods/booze, that dwarves prefer to gather from (instead of stockpiles) and then take to nearby chairs/tables within the room designation. Nobles of course could have their own kitchens for their servants to use for them (only the freshest food for a King!) which is basically the same but assigned to a single dwarf (but usable by other dwarfs).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 11:56:00 pm »

People keep saying that, yet the last time a thread was necro'd with a detailed suggestion relevant to the thread the guy was praised for doing that over creating a new thread.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:18:43 am »

People keep saying that, yet the last time a thread was necro'd with a detailed suggestion relevant to the thread the guy was praised for doing that over creating a new thread.

lol. I have seen that, but not as often as the other.  But, hey, I have been wrong.........well, lets just say more than once :P
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

scale_e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 01:01:02 am »

And the question of pigs?
If you factor in the size of your average dwarf, versus the size of a large, fully grown pig. Pigs could be used as mounts...
...and then there is the bacon... the chops... ribs... pork rinds... ears and trotters...

Pigs.
Versatile, cute and delicious.
Perfect.

As far as I know, Dwarves are not Islamic nor Jewish... nor are they Scottish Highlanders from the 1700's... so I don't see any reason that they would be morally objectionable to pork.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 01:25:43 am »

I like food too, so I'm all for new ideas on the subject.
I'd really like to know if actual recipes can be built into Raw reactions, via modding. Like combining a fish + wine + milk + some kind of herb = poached fish?

As far as there being angst about resurrecting a dead old thread--honestly, differing opinions on the subject notwithstanding, I really think it's better if you do, atleast as far as I'm concerned.

There's hardly any stickies on this Forum, and the Forum-which does work amazingly good without them, hardly has any moderation whatsoever, so there's no manpower available for thread consolidation-and with all the old threads lurking around (some of which have great ideas that are forgotten/lost, by us if not by Toady), bringing back an old thread seems to me a lot more productive, and wastes less time for everyone, including the person posting.

Not that it's a crime to start a new threat either, but I've never found it terribly useful to have 65 threads on the same subject, even (well, especially) if the same ideas keep coming up, and then having to dig for them with a search engine that-good or not-is neither psychic or omnescient.

Maybe there are perfectly good reasons why it's better to start a new thread, but for me, personally, it's just a pain.
For they would be your masters.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 01:47:16 am »

I like food too, so I'm all for new ideas on the subject.
I'd really like to know if actual recipes can be built into Raw reactions, via modding. Like combining a fish + wine + milk + some kind of herb = poached fish?

As far as there being angst about resurrecting a dead old thread--honestly, differing opinions on the subject notwithstanding, I really think it's better if you do, atleast as far as I'm concerned.

There's hardly any stickies on this Forum, and the Forum-which does work amazingly good without them, hardly has any moderation whatsoever, so there's no manpower available for thread consolidation-and with all the old threads lurking around (some of which have great ideas that are forgotten/lost, by us if not by Toady), bringing back an old thread seems to me a lot more productive, and wastes less time for everyone, including the person posting.

Not that it's a crime to start a new threat either, but I've never found it terribly useful to have 65 threads on the same subject, even (well, especially) if the same ideas keep coming up, and then having to dig for them with a search engine that-good or not-is neither psychic or omnescient.

Maybe there are perfectly good reasons why it's better to start a new thread, but for me, personally, it's just a pain.
To be honest, I myself don't like it when people necro a thread. Although it is a bit less cumbersome, and keeps the topic in line, more often then not you get the typical 5 off topic responses about necroing an old thread. Not to mention there are times when an old thread is off base as the game changes (like from the old 2d to 3d change).

As for food and pigs, you could mod in pigs yourself if you feel like it, i'm sure theres even mods that have them already. To be honest though, i'd rather it not go into too far detail with things like creature meat/parts when it comes to what you can salvage out of it. I don't want to have 10 stockpile spaces taken up for various unstackable meat cuts/sections, or things that can be used for food (mmm blood pudding, eyes, heads, knuckles, etc.).

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 02:42:04 am »

Well, you're right, Overdose, there is a defineable cutoff point for Necroing an old, old thread, and some common sense should be used as to whether a discussion remains pertinent, after it's gone into hibernation. I totally agree with that.

I don't think, though, that it's always a bad idea. The "other side of the argument" should have to use common sense too, and not automatically dump on someone just because they Rezed an old post, *if* the old post can still add something pertinent, both to the original discussion, and to the "modern game".

Anyway, I really don't want to trainwreak this particular post too badly, so if you want to talk about it more, and start a new post about it, I'd be happy to add to it, elsewhere.

Returning to food:

I don't know if I'd want to see dwarfs limited to "3 tier" cooking, but it's a good idea. I'd like to see the number of ingredients kept open, like for artifacts, but it would be great if you could create dishes by adding certain ingredients to a "standard formula" (aka recipe).

Meat, at it's most basic, is protean, plain and simple. So you could have a standard "roast with mushrooms and wine" recipe, that requres:
1 type of Red meat + 1 type of Mushroom + 1 type of Wine + an oven and some fuel. There could be a whole list of these standard formulae/recipes, conforming to all manner of cooking methods, ingredients, specialized dishes, whatever.

It would also allow you to adapt a standard formula to please specific dwarfs. If you have one dwarf who likes mutton, and another who likes ham, you could then add either a leg of mutton (pleasing one dwarf more than the other) or a hock of ham (pleasing the other one more) to the "Roast with Mushrooms and Wine", feeding both, but only making one of them really happy.

Then maybe-dependant on the skill of your chef- you could gradually get dwarfs to like new types of food. Like, if you feed the mutton dwarf enough masterpiece ham dinners, they might start liking ham. They'd still like mutton, and too much ham/not enough mutton is still gonna make 'em unhappy, but that could be one way to wean picky dwarfs off of substances that you simply don't have available to you in quantity.

This method would also allow you to have some dwarfs who enjoy certain methods of cooking, aside from specific ingredients, which I'd like to see, some who continue to enjoy certain foods (as we have currently in the game), and some who enjoy certain specific recipe formulas (favorite dishes, that have to be made exactly the "right way".)

And when you're talking about preserving foods, don't forget pickeling. Wine and other alchohol could very well spoil, turning it into vinegar, which would then be quite useful for preserving.

Considering how important alchohol is in the game, I'm hoping we'll see a whole spectrum of fermentation going on, at some point.  Cheeses, vinegar, things like salami and sausages, even things like fermented fish and vegetables (cabbage for instance) would add all sorts of new foods for our dwarfs to eat.

Ofcourse, discovering these new methods of "cooking" might lead to all sorts of new poisons and diseases, but that's the FUN part!

Also, I agree about new tools for the kitchen allowing new recipes, but I think just adding a metal cauldron to the requirements for a kitchen would do a lot.

As much as I use my cast iron frying pan and my wok, back in the day you could cook *most* dishes with either a cauldron, a spit, or an oven, aside from an open fire and some creativity. A flat rock heated up made for a griddle surface, and you could always bake things inside of clay. And the oven kind of comes with the kitchen, while a spit...I think it's reasonable to assume that one comes with the kitchen, too, even if it's just a stick of wood.

A big metal cauldron, on the other hand, would not only be a specialty item requiring a metalworker to produce, but a valuable trade item, and interesting. It could even find other uses: in traps, in tanning shops, brewing, etc., and/or for ceremonial uses. 
For they would be your masters.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 10:10:58 am »

Well, you're right, Overdose, there is a defineable cutoff point for Necroing an old, old thread, and some common sense should be used as to whether a discussion remains pertinent, after it's gone into hibernation. I totally agree with that.

I don't think, though, that it's always a bad idea. The "other side of the argument" should have to use common sense too, and not automatically dump on someone just because they Rezed an old post, *if* the old post can still add something pertinent, both to the original discussion, and to the "modern game".

As a pro-necro person:

I read this forum a lot, and it gets frustrating to see the same discussions recycled.  Especially when it's not just the OP, but the entire discussion.  The OP resuggests something, and it turns into a very similar conversation to the last time, just with new people.  Necro-ing saves a lot of effort that way, and allows people to actually develop new ideas rather than use their brainpower reinventing the wheel. 

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 01:10:36 pm »

As a pro-necro person:

I read this forum a lot, and it gets frustrating to see the same discussions recycled.  Especially when it's not just the OP, but the entire discussion.

Like this thread.  The entire "recipe" concept (RAW based or procedural) has been discussed to death.  And that's not even counting the two plus threads on what cooking booze should do.
Pages: [1] 2