Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529865 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10110 on: January 09, 2010, 01:03:38 am »

DF rats are fantasy rats, they're probably more akin to the ROUS's of The Princess Bride.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: January 09, 2010, 01:07:29 am »

I meant in terms of disease.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: January 09, 2010, 02:29:24 am »

Y'know, speaking as an ecologist I think it's important to note that competition between species is almost never a matter of physical fighting.  It's usually the species which can breed faster, use resources more efficiently, or survive harsh conditions better that winds up winning...basically the species which is better fitted to it's environment.  If an animal winds up in a real fight in some sense it has  already lost out, because it has to spend a lot of energy fighting and runs a serious risk of injury or death.   That's why most combat within a species is ritualized and usually harmless, like deer butting antlers together, and why the vast majority of prey species are tuned to hide  or run, not to fight (again, take the deer.  show a deer a wolf and the deer will run, not turn to use it's antlers)

The way I see it, DF needs an ecology simulator that can do two things: first, provide a reasonable mix of creatures in a biome, with some predators and some prey.  It needs a diet, biome, and size tag, I think you could reasonably just pick a spread of critters, making sure you have more small than large and more prey than predator species.  Average total number of species would vary between biomes.

Secondly, (as was mentioned before) the same biome on opposite sides of the map should have  a different suite of creatures.  Bonus points for making nearby biomes more similar than distant ones, and carrying this between biomes, so you could get, eg, mountain lions and plains lions near each other in the east, and in the west coyotes on the plains and foxes in the mountains.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: January 09, 2010, 03:22:11 am »

Yep, many animals are hunted by weaker predators simple because it doesn't fight back. That isn't even including the number of animals who are more powerful then the animal due to their pack.

Though I guess this is why Nature spirits would be so deadly. Just command a herd of normally peaceful animals to charge, and it will be a massacre.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: January 09, 2010, 03:43:34 am »

Part of what I'm hoping to see are these interactions actually play out during fortress mode. I want to see animals with 'scavenger' tags aiming for my farms and refuse piles and trying to sneak into my fortress. I want to see a mountain lion go over and chase down a mountain goat, or if there's nothing out there to eat, get desperate enough to take a run at a dwarf or a war dog. I want to see the herbivores leave the rocky areas for the grass areas each season and the predators skip over the poisonous or dangerous small animals and go after the easy meal, and of course to see larger packs of animals pass by the fort.

I know it's fairly inaccurate, but until we get plant diversity and other specialized behaviors, I think a basic x vs y simulator for whatever you plug in there (T-rex vs unicorn) would give us a decent start at something that I think would add to the game beyond just having a more expansive zoo. It'd also take care of the problem of putting a mountain lion and mountain goat in the same cage, and create a new opportunity for arena action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: January 09, 2010, 03:48:39 am »

Well I don't think it is important to have nature be absolutely simulated so that it has active ecosystems.

Just enough that the players at least can believe they are in an actual forest.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: January 09, 2010, 03:59:53 am »

I was going to say "Dwarf Fortress won't be complete until raccoons try to steal my welcome mat", then I remember that that's one of the animal behaviors that IS in the game already.

A friend of mine had part of an airsoft gun stolen from his porch by a raccoon once. Bastards.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: January 09, 2010, 05:32:07 am »

I'm listening to Dwarf Fortress Talk 6. >_>

It's actually the first one I've heard, Toady one sounds pretty sexy, if you don't mind me saying. I think it's nice to hear the developer, and hear that he's just like us. o-o; I was figuring he was a mysterious man who plotted against us with Lava. @_@

You're so awesome, Toady! <3
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

toiski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: January 09, 2010, 05:40:28 am »

It's actually the first one I've heard, Toady one sounds pretty sexy, if you don't mind me saying. I think it's nice to hear the developer, and hear that he's just like us. o-o;
He is more than a man, he's a shiny golden god!

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: January 09, 2010, 05:44:40 am »

Well, he's still a sexy sounding shiny god. D:<

I actually like being involved in the community, lets me connect with other fans, etc. *-*
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: January 09, 2010, 05:50:56 am »

You deserve a big cookie. Tenacious D, The Pick of Destiny.

As for the topic:

Looking forward to more dev_log updates. And I don't like rats. Everytime I see one (either in the flesh or on TV), I have this urge to grab a flamethrower and burn them. In DF, that would lead me to construct a magma chamber, just for frying the damn rats. I don't like rats. Their eyes, watching. Always watching. So many eyes.

*rocks back and forth in his chair, mumbling incoherently*
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: January 09, 2010, 06:15:20 am »

even so 100 rats shouldn't be able to realistically kill an armored dwarf with a weapon

Well if each of those rats weighed 2 pounds (making them large rats) then they have the weight advantage. Meaning they can just as easily just bowl that Dwarf over (especially and armored one) and gnaw him to death inspite of his weapon and armor.

Though 100? Rat swarms can be even larger.
We never see that many in the game though and although their swarms are large there's not much coordination.

Well with sleep most people wake up a lot more than that to fix things like their breathing. I'm not sure if turning over to stop  cutting off circulation to your arm or butt or whatever involves mini-waking up though.

Cthulhu is not people :/
Might still have sleep apnea.

(behavioral ecology stuff)

Most animals are actually not very smart.[/quote]This is well recognized but you don't have to be very smart to judge if another animal is in the same ballpark as you in terms of standard killing potential. They're obviously not writing out math equations in their heads to evaluate risk vs reward but the end result is the same as if they were.

They've got a few rules they adhere to, and may have some capacity for behavioral plasticity depending on their wiring. Arthropods in general are particularly unintelligent.  They're exactly like little robots with a limited repertoire of behaviors.
Kind of strange that you're correcting/elaborating about this when I basically described the equation for what animals will perform lethal combat. If you know jack squat about algebra you can easily translate the words into a formula.

Dawkins' The Selfish Gene has a lot of good information about behavioral strategies and the sort of cost-benefit calculus animals have evolved to.  Mostly, you don't see animals fighting to the death . . . it's virtually never worth it in cross-species conflicts, and even in intra-specific conflicts loser animals will often just sit in the corner quietly and starve to death while more successful animals take all the territory, mates, and food rather than fight with a nothing-to-lose attitude.
Depends on how likely it was for them to face that in their lifetime. In insects that have like a three day window to mate fighting in bad matchups is worth it just because they might get lucky.

Anyway, the book is good as long as you can stand the occasional shrill snipe at religion.
I thrive on that sort of thing but try to keep it out of my own writing unless I'm stuck talking about religion because I recognize that most of the people I prefer to associate with don't really care.

Anything is possible.
Would small creatures be able to crawl under your garments/armour and bite your naked flesh?
Creature sized would be giant rats eg about the size of a cat.
Will there ever be vermin/swarm combat? (aside from being accosted)
venomous vermin? such can be disproportionately dangrous for their size.

edit: rats can attack in swarms. usually under stress, population density and lack of food. etc.
I don't think it's possible for a giant (10+ ft tall) love lobster from the depths to crawl into into my greaves.

There are generally a lot of possibilities but as has been mentioned animals are usually pretty dumb and just following some simple equation type behaviors. As such the complex maximum benefit swarm-type attack upon a humanoid in armor is, well, beyond them.

Anything is possible.
Would small creatures be able to crawl under your garments/armour and bite your naked flesh?
Creature sized would be giant rats eg about the size of a cat.
Will there ever be vermin/swarm combat? (aside from being accosted)
venomous vermin? such can be disproportionately dangrous for their size.

edit: rats can attack in swarms. usually under stress, population density and lack of food. etc.
I don't think it's possible for a giant (10+ ft tall) love lobster from the depths to crawl into into my greaves.

There are generally a lot of possibilities but as has been mentioned animals are usually pretty dumb and just following some simple equation type behaviors. As such the complex maximum benefit swarm-type attack upon a humanoid in armor is, well, beyond them.

If the rats are fast enough, they might be able to avoid the dwarf each time he attempts to smash them with his weapon. Furthermore, 100 rats attacking someone? It must be that the rats are hungry, meaning that when they attack the guy, they're not just biting, they're eating him alive. If they eat things like his eyes first, they could potentially cripple him.
If they went for the jugular they could score a lethal hit but you only ever have to worry about intelligent opponents aiming for that.
Things with ranged attacks like those spitting cobras know to aim for eyes but how many animals bite an opponent's eye while fighting?

You'd think we were talking about trained war-rats here.

On the subject of rat swarms, I would like to remind people of the old blood sport known as "ratting", wherein a dog and a bunch of rats would be put in a pit, and they would fight. The dog often lost. They never, to my knowledge, put armor on the dogs, but that has little relevance, since rats would go under armor on a dwarf anyway. Weapons are not more fast than jaws.
Plate armor sure but a but of fitted leather armor? No, they'd have to bite through it and that just wouldn't happen. Some might still get under the clothes but definitely not the majority.

On the subject of rat swarms, I would like to remind people of the old blood sport known as "ratting", wherein a dog and a bunch of rats would be put in a pit, and they would fight. The dog often lost. They never, to my knowledge, put armor on the dogs, but that has little relevance, since rats would go under armor on a dwarf anyway. Weapons are not more fast than jaws.

O.o

Well the rats WERE fighting for their lives.

Swarms taking down larger critters doesn't just happen to rats, ants are also a good example and what they take down is often many times their size.
Ants have more elegant swarm behavior and are expendable while something like a rat wants to preserve itself rather than fighting for the good of the colony. They whole "me dieing is still probably good for passing my genes on" thing makes it a different story with ants.

Y'know, speaking as an ecologist I think it's important to note that competition between species is almost never a matter of physical fighting.  It's usually the species which can breed faster, use resources more efficiently, or survive harsh conditions better that winds up winning...basically the species which is better fitted to it's environment.  If an animal winds up in a real fight in some sense it has  already lost out, because it has to spend a lot of energy fighting and runs a serious risk of injury or death.   That's why most combat within a species is ritualized and usually harmless, like deer butting antlers together, and why the vast majority of prey species are tuned to hide  or run, not to fight (again, take the deer.  show a deer a wolf and the deer will run, not turn to use it's antlers)
I figured describing the exception was good enough to get that point across and I didn't want to try to explain the Lotka-Volterra model, even though that might work for world gen. Defining values in the raws that lead to suitable isoclines would probably be asking too much though.

It's actually the first one I've heard, Toady one sounds pretty sexy, if you don't mind me saying. I think it's nice to hear the developer, and hear that he's just like us. o-o;
Well as we heard he does emit light.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: January 09, 2010, 06:51:20 am »

Part of what I'm hoping to see are these interactions actually play out during fortress mode. I want to see animals with 'scavenger' tags aiming for my farms and refuse piles and trying to sneak into my fortress. I want to see a mountain lion go over and chase down a mountain goat, or if there's nothing out there to eat, get desperate enough to take a run at a dwarf or a war dog. I want to see the herbivores leave the rocky areas for the grass areas each season and the predators skip over the poisonous or dangerous small animals and go after the easy meal, and of course to see larger packs of animals pass by the fort.

All of these things sound very much like DF, and I definitely remember Toady talking about predator prey behaviours, which wouldn't be difficult to implement at all, at least in some phenomenological way. As with all things and DF, it's not so much a question of if, but when.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: January 09, 2010, 08:20:04 am »

Quote from: devlog
I still had dizzy-breaks and my-eyes-are-sore breaks
Updates are great, but now I feel guilty for wanting to play the new DF :(

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: January 09, 2010, 10:47:55 am »

This came up a few months ago, but I don't think it was ever really decided whether or not it was going in for this release.

Are we going to be seeing an option to dump the legends data out to a text file of some sort (xml, raw text, whatever) this release? Or is that for a later release?

I really like this idea. With an option to get the info from legends, we could see some really cool visualizations of the data. It's incredible how much stuff is already simulated in legends mode, but it can be kind of tedious combing through the sheer amounts of raw data to find those incredible events.

Ideas about simulating relationships in worldgen

This is what I was trying say earlier, basically. It seems like running through that during world gen is really the only feasible way of creating complex ecology while not winding up with a ridiculous number of tags. Also, for the ecologist mentioning combat is not the best indicator (atomfullerene), there's nothing to stop DF from simulating competition for survival rather than outright combat. In fact, it'd probably be best to include a factor of various tags in the equation.

* What biome is this creature in?
* What foods does it eat?
* How well can the creature find food?
* What is its competition for finding food?
* Can it defeat these creatures if it comes to combat?
* Can it out breed them to take over.
* What are its natural predators?
* How does it fare against these?
* How will its population be effected by its predator?

I'm sure there are plenty factors that I missed. Anyone else want to chime in with a list? Although, a new topic might be a good idea for this discussion.
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1065