Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3528748 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10125 on: January 09, 2010, 10:50:11 am »

Quote from: devlog
I still had dizzy-breaks and my-eyes-are-sore breaks
Updates are great, but now I feel guilty for wanting to play the new DF :(

At least he is taking a break when his body tells him he really needs one due to fatigue.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: January 09, 2010, 11:55:13 am »

I don't like rats. Their eyes, watching. Always watching. So many eyes.

I don't care for them either.  Every time I toss my garbage into the dumpster, it sounds like a small nuclear ratsplosion.  And the ones my students dissect in lab are almost as big as cats.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: January 09, 2010, 12:30:08 pm »

A friend of mine had part of an airsoft gun stolen from his porch by a raccoon once. Bastards.

That's quite terrifying. The racoon didn't learn to reverse engineer weaponry, did it?

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: January 09, 2010, 12:53:42 pm »

Well I see that Toady's back to working on Dwarf Fortress again. So I guess I can perform perdiction time once more.

But this time it'll be a bit different. Because as we all know, Toady's still feeling the left over effects of the flu and despite feeling fatigued, he's braving it out and trying to work on it. Even if it's only a little at a time.

As of right now, he's done the new life and population features of the underground and is currently working on the underground creature civilizations(and body parts too based on today's update).

Orginally I had expected the remaining features to be done in a week and a half. But now that Toady's is still recovering I expect this process to take longer. At this point with his fatigue, it could him about twice as long, but I some people who seem to get over their fatigue with time so the time could vary.

But as of this point I could perdict the underground to be done sometime between 2 -3 weeks. Give or take a few days with whatever is decided on the rope ladders.

Overall though I perdict the underground to be green by anywhere between January 23rd -January 31st. I'll save the final phase where all the test has to be done for later since I'll base it on how well he performs during this part.

Toady, I salute you for braving out the H1N1 flu, and managing to get over some of your fatigue, but don't straint yourself. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:56:28 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: January 09, 2010, 01:47:51 pm »

Like something from the Twilight Zone my original prediction of February is seeming more and more likely everyday.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: January 09, 2010, 02:07:57 pm »

I'm sure there are plenty factors that I missed. Anyone else want to chime in with a list? Although, a new topic might be a good idea for this discussion.

My concern on modeling herbivore food competition is that they tend to be more specialized than carnivores. Everything from giraffes dependent on the height of trees to migratory issues to find the right food sources. Right now there's almost no framework for any of that stuff - almost no plant diversity, and not even a basic framework for that. So, I say skip that part for now and assume that any herb/omnivore can eat off of green stuff (chop down all the trees and burn the world and you can starve them, but shy of that...) and just do the meat eaters/omnivores (so you can put them in full mountain situations). As an interim, it would be nice if you could muddy aboveground areas and have grass/trees grow.

I'm after a reasonable 80/20 solution for now, one that would hold up reasonably well to the untrained eye even after a broader ecological approach is introduced.

I was even hoping to omit the natural predators because that again requires knowing what else is getting modded in, otherwise you get every animal from the living animal ark getting ignored by the T-Rex when someone mods that sucker in. Better, I think, to just accumulate all of the animals based on biome setting and quickly work out who's eating who. The same could later be done for plant competition if that side of the game fleshes out. It'll be simplistic, but you can get a lot of complex behaviors out of a simple model that is sufficiently broad and I think the current biome arrangement + a few thousand creatures with a dozen or so tags steering behavior (most of which already exist) would probably get us there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: January 09, 2010, 02:11:17 pm »

Basically to drive home what Martin is saying

In the Wild many plant eating animals fit into specific Niches.

One common Niche is where an animal eats or lives inside a tree.

So you can have 8-10 different kinds of birds and they will all live in different parts of a tree which others of their species will also adhere to.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: January 09, 2010, 06:17:03 pm »

Well, it would be fun to see birds scattering from trees your woodcutters chop down.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: January 09, 2010, 06:20:15 pm »

Well, it would be fun to see birds scattering from trees your woodcutters chop down.
It would be neat building cage traps next to the trees to get pets.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: January 09, 2010, 06:30:55 pm »

Or food.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: January 09, 2010, 06:44:57 pm »

DF: The only game in which someone would consider chopping down an entire tree just to eat a bird.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: January 09, 2010, 07:34:52 pm »

DF: The only game in which someone would consider chopping down an entire tree just to eat a bird.

DF: The only game in which someone would build elaborate traps involving magma, retracting bridges, packs of war dogs released on pressure plates, just to avoid locking a door.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: January 09, 2010, 07:52:51 pm »

You have any idea how annoying it is to lock those damn doors?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: January 09, 2010, 08:01:24 pm »

Thanks goodness all Dwarven Doors have Psychic locks

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: January 09, 2010, 08:14:41 pm »

Thanks goodness all Dwarven Doors have Psychic locks
and magical cat-flaps! :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1065