Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529141 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10170 on: January 11, 2010, 12:08:47 am »

The game won't be complete until Man's oldest hunting tactic is modelled. They followed the animal until it fell over from exhaustion.

Probably why we domesticated dogs, they are just about the only creature around that is a better long distance runner than we are.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10171 on: January 11, 2010, 12:35:13 am »

The game won't be complete until Man's oldest hunting tactic is modelled. They followed the animal until it fell over from exhaustion.

Probably why we domesticated dogs, they are just about the only creature around that is a better long distance runner than we are.

Note that these are only true in the hot African climate we originated in, as Man has a superior cooling system.

In the cooler European climes, Wolves and Horses are better than we are as cooling isn't as important.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10172 on: January 11, 2010, 01:10:24 am »

And, of course, this won't be possible until running around doesn't make you less tired like how it is now.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10173 on: January 11, 2010, 02:24:54 am »

So earlier in this thread, someone made a picture where every line of pixels represented an item on the list, with each row being the same color as its list item. Basically it was a really neat representation of how done the list was. So that person should do the same thing this time, so we could see how the list worked out as it nears its completion.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10174 on: January 11, 2010, 03:17:48 am »

So earlier in this thread, someone made a picture where every line of pixels represented an item on the list, with each row being the same color as its list item. Basically it was a really neat representation of how done the list was. So that person should do the same thing this time, so we could see how the list worked out as it nears its completion.
Made one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry, It's not that easy to see the cyan and white line of map features.
Meh.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10175 on: January 11, 2010, 03:22:24 am »

And, of course, this won't be possible until running around doesn't make you less tired like how it is now.
As far as I know, this is an annoying temporary fix. After all, it would suck tremendously if your unfit dwarves got tired while carrying a stone to your construction site and then died of exhaustion trying to walk back to their beds. So walking while under some arbitrary weight limit (proportional to strength and endurance somehow, presumably) would have to make you less tired or would break a lot of fortress mode in its current implementation.

Now if dwarves knew they would get tired and so only took the stone half as far in a single trip, it would work better. But dwarves currently fast pretty much right up until they get hungry, and will fight constantly until exhausted. They have no concept of forethought, and implementing it would be a major hassle for Toady.

But ideally, we wouldn't have dwarves embarking on long jobs (mechanics, anyone?) on an empty stomach only to stop halfway when they get too hungry. If they thought they were going to get hungry they would take food, if thirsty then booze, and if they were going to get tired then they'd have to powernap or delegate.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10176 on: January 11, 2010, 03:23:25 am »

In the cooler European climes, Wolves and Horses are better than we are as cooling isn't as important.

Humans will win six-second sprints and 3 day ultra-marathons against horses, but loose everything in between. Wolves are even worse off; they can't keep going for more than a half a day or so.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10177 on: January 11, 2010, 03:40:43 am »

Humans will win six-second sprints and 3 day ultra-marathons against horses, but loose everything in between. Wolves are even worse off; they can't keep going for more than a half a day or so.

At full speed, sure, at a walk, not even close.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10178 on: January 11, 2010, 06:41:09 am »

Now if dwarves knew they would get tired and so only took the stone half as far in a single trip, it would work better. But dwarves currently fast pretty much right up until they get hungry, and will fight constantly until exhausted. They have no concept of forethought, and implementing it would be a major hassle for Toady.

But ideally, we wouldn't have dwarves embarking on long jobs (mechanics, anyone?) on an empty stomach only to stop halfway when they get too hungry. If they thought they were going to get hungry they would take food, if thirsty then booze, and if they were going to get tired then they'd have to powernap or delegate.

Actually, I remember that Toady mentioned he addressed the job interruption from hunger/thirst problem at least partially.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10179 on: January 11, 2010, 06:49:34 am »

From what I remember when a dwarf gets hungry/thirsty now he will wait until he finishes what he's doing before going to eat/drink. I wonder if this included deconstructing walls/floors/etc.

I also can't remember if Toady managed to add in drinking flasks so they don't have to go to a stockpile/dunk their heads into the beer barrels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10180 on: January 11, 2010, 07:06:19 am »

Quote from: dev log
I also used the new locations associated with announcements to turn off all of the combat spam in adventure mode for events that your adventurer can't see.

Thank god.  It'll be a little harder to find the action now, but that spam could get really ridiculous.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10181 on: January 11, 2010, 07:24:32 am »

It also makes coming upon a loyalty cascade more hilarious.

Hello, mixed town of elves and humans! I've come to solve your dragon problem. Oh, hang on, you killed your mayor. Never mind.

Also, I imagine we'll start losing party members the moment they get split off from the party, for lack of visibility.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10182 on: January 11, 2010, 07:55:27 am »

Toady is starting to sound more and more better everyday.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10183 on: January 11, 2010, 08:12:49 am »

In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

I think I have found my very first sigquote, if you do not mind.

As far as on-topic goes... being able to define a creature's general tendencies would be rather nice.  Of course, there would have to be missing parts; i.e., wolves that live near cliffs would probably start to use said cliffs as a hunting tactic, driving a panicked prey animal off the cliffs to do the dirty work for them.  (Eagles will do the same to hunt prey too large for them to carry, which means giant eagles might drive elephants off cliffs...)  Seems like it would start to get complicated fast to include all the possible geological adaptations individual packs/specimens of animals might make to their hunting style depending on the natural formations they live near.

The would certainly be interesting to see hapen in the game but how in the world could you have the game generate tactics for the predators like that?

Just go into mspaint and scribble green over the obvious chunks.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10184 on: January 11, 2010, 08:16:24 am »

The would certainly be interesting to see hapen in the game but how in the world could you have the game generate tactics for the predators like that?

Learning AI. Would eat the pants off a modern system, but systems X years from now might be able to pull it off.
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 1065