Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3528397 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10185 on: January 11, 2010, 08:40:28 am »

I agree... It doesn't seem like something that would work in the raws, but who knows?

[HUNTING_TACTIC:DRIVE_PREY_OFF_CLIFF]

On the other hand, my laptop runs slow enough, so I'm perfectly happy with our current ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK predators.

Also, Neruz?

Your new avatar is terrifying.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10186 on: January 11, 2010, 09:07:41 am »

Yeah, it hurts my eyes.

I'd love to see predators working together and stampeding animals. The next scourge of adventure mode.
Meh.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: January 11, 2010, 09:33:50 am »

Also, Neruz?

Well it is replacing an emerging nightmare monster of some sort...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10188 on: January 11, 2010, 11:18:27 am »

I should be done with underground civs tomorrow.

I got all excited because I thought this meant another item greened off the list...then I realized all the underground civ stuff he's doing appear to be fixed/tweaks to things already greened off. Doh!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10189 on: January 11, 2010, 11:35:57 am »

pretty much the only things not greened out are underground diversity and testing.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: January 11, 2010, 11:41:06 am »

Just another part of the underground that's nearly complete. Afterward, there's dealing with various map quibbles, and then deciding on the rope material, and then finally doing to remaining items on the spoiler list for the underground(useful rescoucse and rope ladders). This should conclude the underground phase.

But other than that hearing that Toady removed the annoying daialouge from the Adventure mode that occurs out of view is a blessing, but can be a curse. I use to use that to help me pin point certain areas of interest I had in mind to build a fortress. :P (Yes I usually played adventure mode first despite that I could simply use the map features, why? Because it's FUN. :P)

But on a more logical scale, it makes sense to remove it. Since it did seem out of place.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: January 11, 2010, 11:44:59 am »

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong, but the phrasing,

I also used the new locations associated with announcements to turn off all of the combat spam in adventure mode for events that your adventurer can't see

makes me think he's talking about the side of the window where announcements for combat now go in Fort mode. I took that sentence to mean that he put all the extraneous combat/message spam of events you can't see as announcements on the sidebar so you could choose to ignore them or check them out like you can in Fort mode

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10192 on: January 11, 2010, 12:01:09 pm »

I think he just turned them all off. On one hand, you won't be able to know when there's fighting near you, or when random troglodytes drop down the chasm. On the other hand, you won't have to hear the screams of your dying meatshields comrades as you make an expeditious retreat from the cyclops cave.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: January 11, 2010, 12:18:04 pm »

But... but then I can't hear my doomed elven strike team fail to kill a dragon!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: January 11, 2010, 12:43:42 pm »

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong, but the phrasing,

I also used the new locations associated with announcements to turn off all of the combat spam in adventure mode for events that your adventurer can't see

makes me think he's talking about the side of the window where announcements for combat now go in Fort mode. I took that sentence to mean that he put all the extraneous combat/message spam of events you can't see as announcements on the sidebar so you could choose to ignore them or check them out like you can in Fort mode

Nope, it's referring to a tile location: "The combat/hunting/sparring reports work. You can view adv mode style messages by creature and category (comb/hunt/spar) now and all of the announcements have associated dates. Those that have associated locations are zoomable from the announcement/report screens."  Mentioned again later: "Here is the first page of announcements concerning the fighting, here in arena mode the same as they would appear in a dwarf mode combat report. You can jump over to the main view with the screen re-centered on the location of the announcement."

The reason the tile location allows him to easily turn off the announcement spam is that the location can be checked against the tiles currently in view of the adventurer.

The term Toady has used to refer to the sidebar announcements is "notices."
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:47:23 pm by Footkerchief »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: January 11, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »

Ah, good call. Though I'm glad to see them go in any capacity, I like my idea better, haha. You could label the screen "distant sounds", allowing you to ignore or pay attention to them. Perhaps that's a bit too gamey, though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: January 11, 2010, 01:21:10 pm »

You could label the screen "distant sounds", allowing you to ignore or pay attention to them. Perhaps that's a bit too gamey, though.

Well, it has its advantages.  The main problem is that the game doesn't have a strong enough (or any?) notion of giving you a "partial announcement" -- your adventurer would be deducing way too much information from that distant sound.  (A secondary problem is that you shouldn't be forced to check the notice screen to see important sound-based announcements.)  Instead the announcement should pick out the "loudest" parts of the announcement and tell you about those, if not play an actual sound clip.

I suppose for combat stuff you'd have 1) weapon impacts, 2) vocalizations and 3) footfalls.  The loudness of those events could be checked against ambient noise and your adventurer's hearing ability, maybe in conjunction with some kind of "notability" heuristic, to determine what actually gets announced to you.  If you're surrounded by a raging battle you arguably shouldn't get anything more specific than "You hear metal clashing on metal and screams of pain!" unless you have exceptional skill at picking out battle-related sounds, in which case maybe you'd instead get "You hear stone blades bouncing off iron!" or something.  Trespasser's "real time Foley" comes up here, of course -- it'd probably be essential for actual sound effects in DF, and even without sound effects, it might be helpful for determining the "loudness" of an announcement event.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: January 11, 2010, 01:22:45 pm »

What it could do is it could filter important information depending on your situation.

The sound of people speaking in a city is unimportant.

The sound of speaking in a deep cave is very important.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: January 11, 2010, 01:26:12 pm »

What it could do is it could filter important information depending on your situation.

The sound of speaking in a deep cave is very important.

However, how does it determine what your situation is?

Maybe there could be a bunch of options settings to help determine this, however it could get overcomplicated doing it that way.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: January 11, 2010, 01:32:24 pm »

Except when somebody mentions the mythical kobold treasure cave and your ears prick up because you recently overheard another adventurer being offered money to find it!  So yeah, it's very situation-dependent, as you noted.  The knowledge system rears its head yet again, along with a distinct "world familiarity" system that would operate on object sets that are relatively constant in the world, such as creatures and materials (including what they sound like).
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 1065