Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3523565 times)

Hardrada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10935 on: January 23, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »

I agree with Untelligent, building stairs down is the quickest and easiest solution to this issue, and within my idea of the abilities of dwarven masons too.

Even if you insist on rope ladders I don't believe they should have to restrict the types of creatures that can use them in this release, if Toady wants to hold off adding that in until it won't cause pathfinding issues that would be fine by me.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: January 23, 2010, 07:23:09 pm »

I don't see a need for rope ladders ever, honestly. It seems undwarvenly and pointless.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10937 on: January 23, 2010, 07:46:54 pm »

I've copied down the questions from reply ~8775 to ~9775, and I still need to get to 10937 as it stands.  So, it'll be a few days yet, but it is a work in progress.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: January 23, 2010, 07:52:08 pm »

Hi Toady!

You feel fine now?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: January 23, 2010, 08:03:18 pm »

Hi Toady!

You feel fine now?

Wow your Avatar perfectly fits the feeling of the post (assuming the same one I am seeing is the one that the person who reads it is seeing now)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: January 23, 2010, 08:27:42 pm »

Oh snap, that eternally turquoise item under Map Features finally got greened out.
Which means...it's Tummy Time.

...weren't there only 3 items in Map Features before?
that would be a ladder, right? english is not my first language

Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
I think I imagine precarved stairs. I can imagine dwarves trying to use stone instead, but I don't know if they'd manage to drop it in intact.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: January 23, 2010, 08:31:53 pm »

Oh snap, that eternally turquoise item under Map Features finally got greened out.
Which means...it's Tummy Time.

*Rubs Own Stomach*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: January 23, 2010, 08:33:09 pm »

And that is why man will always triumph over cat!

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: January 23, 2010, 08:38:43 pm »

And that is why man will always triumph over cat!

That, and we don't chase laser pointers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: January 23, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »

I think you're right, the thing that was blue earlier was a single somewhat vague thing relating to whatever else Toady wanted to do with it and it got replaced by these two:
# Easy to find features (if you want lots) throughout all Z levels, arranged to permit ample area for a fortress
# Features spanning multiple world map squares

Or maybe one of those and the bit about underground resources.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: January 23, 2010, 08:45:49 pm »

Here's a question I don't think has been asked, I did do a search for it so sorry if I missed it:

Spoiler tag for spoilers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You have given me the idea of a life-sized chest board, with statues and a checkered black/white area. Depending on how designation of statues works, I might try to have two side, with statues that are distinct colors and actually are horses/kings/bishops etc... Now I really want to create one with an elf side and an opposing dwarf side.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: January 23, 2010, 09:21:43 pm »

I think you're right, the thing that was blue earlier was a single somewhat vague thing relating to whatever else Toady wanted to do with it and it got replaced by these two:

I think you're right, but the replacement happened a long time ago.  It's been at 5 items since last April or something.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: January 23, 2010, 09:32:38 pm »

Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

This will be sigged now.

Also, just think how many problems could be solved with one way ladders!  For one thing, it would make animal husbandry much easier as the animals could be confined to a Z-level only accessible by ladder.  Then when the dwarves want some beef, they send the butcher down the ladder where he proceeds to kill and put away a half dozen cows.  Alternatively, he could pit a half dozen cows and then go down a ladder that leads somewhere accesible to the rest of the fort and proceed with the butchering.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: January 23, 2010, 09:38:03 pm »

I think you're right, but the replacement happened a long time ago.  It's been at 5 items since last April or something.

He just changed it today actually. It was 3 before. I remember, because I checked that section probably once a day since Toady was better, even though I could have just looked at the Last Edit section

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: January 23, 2010, 09:44:01 pm »

huh? theres a last edit section? what do you mean? Like theres a list of whats been edited?
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1065