Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3524109 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11190 on: January 25, 2010, 06:52:36 pm »

I won't green this one because I may not have a full understanding or a misunderstanding of how attributes (stuff like toughness, not skill) get trained in the next release, and I don't want to add too many more questions to the backlog toady already has.

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been asked before (tried to do a search), so, Is it possible to train in a single attribute, like say, agility, so that the dwarf can catch up on that attribute?

The reason I ask is because I have this champion who has 4 in strength and 9 in toughness, but no agility at all. Theres nothing in his traits that would imply that he just isn't very agile and he's the only one without something in all three stats. I'm sure he will eventually, but still...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: January 25, 2010, 07:01:36 pm »

This post is for a survey, please ignore it and continue.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: January 25, 2010, 07:02:12 pm »

To what I've read of it, the stat gains are random, so you might end up with a pretty average legendary, or one that excels in 1 or 2 stats. I'd just train him up in another fighting thing like Swords or Hammers.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11193 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:54 pm »

Wooo, with the cat bug and rope ladders/stairs thing done, just the final stuff remains, and we can oficialy hope for a release to come in less then 30 days I hope.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11194 on: January 25, 2010, 07:15:50 pm »

To what I've read of it, the stat gains are random, so you might end up with a pretty average legendary, or one that excels in 1 or 2 stats. I'd just train him up in another fighting thing like Swords or Hammers.

In the current version, I know its random and it probably is in the next release, but was just wondering out of the blue.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11195 on: January 25, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »

Five more items on the list.

Five. More. Items.

Definitely doing a countdown whenevr an item gets ticked off: FIVE! (few days later) FOUR! (few days later) THREE! etc. etc.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11196 on: January 25, 2010, 07:58:19 pm »

Attributes are currently random. I believe they won't be in the next version, rather skills will give more appropriate attribute gains. You wouldn't want your Champion raising his empathy skill, would you?

This post is for a survey, please ignore it and continue.
Are you surveying how many people will follow your instructions?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11197 on: January 25, 2010, 08:05:21 pm »

We could always take all that crap, and the memes, out of this thread.
Blasphemy!

Attributes are currently random. I believe they won't be in the next version, rather skills will give more appropriate attribute gains. You wouldn't want your Champion raising his empathy skill, would you?
Where'd you read that? I've missed it entirely if that claim is legit.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:15:51 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11198 on: January 25, 2010, 09:15:23 pm »

Choose your words carefully.
It cannot be obsolete until it has been replaced.

Most of it will be outdated, yes, but that's nothing we can't fix.

jaybud... if you're going to nitpick, please try to be right:

ob⋅so⋅lete /ˌɒbsəˈlit, ˈɒbsəˌlit/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ob-suh-leet, ob-suh-leet] Show IPA adjective, verb, -let⋅ed, -let⋅ing.
–adjective
1.    no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.
2.    of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.

After all of the material, body structure and combat changes will dwarves still try to kill zombies by infinitely twisting a stuck weapon into a wound, trying to make them bleed to death? (which simply cannot happen for zombies)

There are a couple bugs related to this:

# 001018 □ [dwarf mode][combat]   (Report) dwarves try to strangle undead creatures to death
# 001039 □ [combat][stuck-ins]   (Report) dwarf stuck twisting sword in zombie goat forever

But I couldn't find any word on whether they'd been fixed.

I think there was a mention of stuck-in weapons having more effect in the wound. If you twist a stuck-in battleaxe, I expect you'd do some damage, and loosen the axe.

They're actually going to have less effect: "Associated stuck-ins to particular wounds and used that to modify how they behave with twists, bleeding and pull-outs. Twisting won't just keep amplifying bleeding to bizarre levels as it does in the currently released version and leaving items stuck in will actually slow the bleeding somewhat, so just sitting there and twisting should no longer be preferable."

I didn't see itemcorpses in the list of tags that are creature-level only, so I'm fairly certain you could use castes for that (which are chosen randomly and can be weighted). I've been planning on using castes for this sort of thing for the mod I'm going to release for DF2010.

That's a clever use of castes, cool.

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been asked before (tried to do a search), so, Is it possible to train in a single attribute, like say, agility, so that the dwarf can catch up on that attribute?

Where'd you read that? I've missed it entirely if that claim is legit.

It's legit: "The first part of the outline here is to revise attributes and make them have a wider range of values that vary between individuals, with practice and disuse determining changes rather than skill increases."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:17:15 pm by Footkerchief »

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11199 on: January 25, 2010, 09:32:24 pm »

TOADY.

Turn "Final" moar blue please? :3   Sure it means nothing, but it'll be so encouraging to have no main categories white anymore. :3

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11200 on: January 25, 2010, 10:26:55 pm »

What is the "Hydra test"? Is that like putting a hydra in an arena and seeing if it dies when a head is lopped off, or is it something totally different like a wide-scale test?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11201 on: January 25, 2010, 10:49:56 pm »

What is the "Hydra test"? Is that like putting a hydra in an arena and seeing if it dies when a head is lopped off...
Yeah, pretty much. It also entail fixing any bugs that come about from working multi-headed critters into the new body system.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

King of the Internet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11202 on: January 25, 2010, 10:54:50 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I should have everything I need to get 40d17 up, so I'll be doing that tomorrow hopefully...

Now hold on a sec. Does this mean that you are going to release the new mostly-finished but undoubtedly bug-containing Dwarf Fortress tomorrow? Dear god, please tell me that wasn't just a grammatical ambiguity.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11203 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58:14 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I should have everything I need to get 40d17 up, so I'll be doing that tomorrow hopefully...

Now hold on a sec. Does this mean that you are going to release the new mostly-finished but undoubtedly bug-containing Dwarf Fortress tomorrow? Dear god, please tell me that wasn't just a grammatical ambiguity.

He probably meant he'll get to work merging 40d17 tomorrow.

Maybe.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11204 on: January 25, 2010, 11:02:24 pm »

It's legit: "The first part of the outline here is to revise attributes and make them have a wider range of values that vary between individuals, with practice and disuse determining changes rather than skill increases."
I guess when I read that the first time I didn't think much about the disuse part. It wouldn't make sense to only have attributes decrease if dwarves idles not even talking with each other so
ok.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1065