Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3524689 times)

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11355 on: January 27, 2010, 01:47:06 pm »

Good point sir.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11356 on: January 27, 2010, 01:48:52 pm »

Too soon to start asking for an iPad version of DF?

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11357 on: January 27, 2010, 01:50:21 pm »

Now, questions?

Well, I think we might have addressed most points by now, but for the record, the original question was more about what the advantages of say a mail over a plate would be, if any. I think it would be mostly issues of flexibility (for movement, not protection), etc.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11358 on: January 27, 2010, 01:54:28 pm »

It was also available for centuries before plate was, so a great many more people had the training to make it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11359 on: January 27, 2010, 01:56:34 pm »

Well ignoring how Platemail protects you with its mass... It also, unlike chainmail, is solid meaning that the force is distrubuted to the armor as a whole rather then centered entirely in one spot (to an extent)

Though here is a question:

Is chainmail often layered when worn alone? (or rather not under plate) People always picture a "Chain shirt" when someone says Chainmail and while I am pretty sure they layer it I probably should make sure.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11360 on: January 27, 2010, 02:04:44 pm »

Well how they make ANYTHING out of Adamantine is a mystery in it of itself since it is incapable of bending without breaking. It also has such a high boiling point that the Furnace would suffer a meltdown before it would ever soften the metal.

I assume magic is involved. Perhaps not in spells but in that maybe there is some sort of secret technique that takes advantage of an unseen/unknown property of adamantine to mold the strands the way they want.

(That is right. Adamantine is Woven)

Though they COULD be put together like some sort of odd endless monkey chain.

Yeah, I think the presumption is that it's "magical" in some fashion. I tend to imagine it being like epoxy glue -- something that can be mined, woven, then "set" into a final, unbreakable form.

And now that I know green is the color for question-asking etiquette, i'll try to strike gold twice in a row:

Do we know how artifact weapons and armor, specifically artifact weapons and armor made with strange materials, will interact with the materials system? Will an artifact bone spear be able to pierce normal steel plate, or will it be largely ineffectual? Will artifact weapons and armor acquire item damage? Would an artifact gold hammer get bent or broken when I bashed it on someone's adamantium helmet?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11361 on: January 27, 2010, 02:20:13 pm »

Well ignoring how Platemail protects you with its mass... It also, unlike chainmail, is solid meaning that the force is distrubuted to the armor as a whole rather then centered entirely in one spot (to an extent)

Is chainmail often layered when worn alone? (or rather not under plate) People always picture a "Chain shirt" when someone says Chainmail and while I am pretty sure they layer it I probably should make sure.

Chainmail was typically worn over as a hauburk (think long coat) over a gambeson (thick quilted padding) or over leather. It could be layered, but that'd be both very expensive and very heavy, so I'm not sure how much that was done beyond the hood of a mail coif resting on the shoulders.

Like many things, though, there was no *one* way that everyone did things. Many different styles, sizes, and whatnot were used over the centuries by different groups for different purposes and reasons.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11362 on: January 27, 2010, 02:22:19 pm »

You mean like, more than one layer of chainmaille? If so then no. Not that i know of at least.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:24:00 pm by Genoraven »
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11363 on: January 27, 2010, 02:31:16 pm »

With finger tracing support! I want to give my dorfs orders with the finger!  ;D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11364 on: January 27, 2010, 02:43:47 pm »

With finger tracing support! I want to give my dorfs orders with the finger!  ;D
I'm hoping that Version One will support headset controll, so you can bicker with your dwarves in real time. And wake up your soldiers by screaming into the mic.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11365 on: January 27, 2010, 03:15:25 pm »

hmmm with the material rewrite i guess artifact weapons (and possible armor?) are nerved down or do they get some magical, weight, shearpoint, yield modifiers? Also what about the elven wood-weapons? Do the elves now manipulate the materials in some faschion?

Artefact weapons wouldnt be a big loss for now i guess but advanced elven weapons would give them a advantage to survive a serious fight - thankfully they outbreed theyr losses.
I thought artifact was just a quality modifier like + or *, meaning that the material gets a % modifier (bonus) from it.

ZOMG a chainmaille discussion! Being someone who actually makes it i think I'm qualified to join in. FUNK is right, Chainmaille is designed to protect against slashing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now, questions?
I don't follow what solid rings are. Butted are closed, riveted are, well, flat and punched through, and solid is... like just one long wavy wire? An unbroken spiral?

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11366 on: January 27, 2010, 03:55:12 pm »

I'd like to be able to tilt the device to the right and have all the loose stone roll up against the left side of walls. Shake the device to simulate the effects of the red lever of doom.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11367 on: January 27, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »

[RESPONSIBILITY:SORT_AMMUNITION]
Does it mean that it will be possible to sort ammo stacks and to combine separate arrows and to assign it to a specific "noble"?! Wow...
So we could make an ammo sorter job:
[POSITION:AMMO_SORTER]
  [NUMBER:50]
  [RESPONSIBILITY:SORT_AMMUNITION]
  [APPOINTED_BY:EXPEDITION_LEADER]
  [APPOINTED_BY:MAYOR]

?

I hope it's not a placeholder and actual ammo sorting mechanics are in, right?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11368 on: January 27, 2010, 04:03:44 pm »

ZOMG a chainmaille discussion! Being someone who actually makes it i think I'm qualified to join in. FUNK is right, Chainmaille is designed to protect against slashing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now, questions?
I don't follow what solid rings are. Butted are closed, riveted are, well, flat and punched through, and solid is... like just one long wavy wire? An unbroken spiral?

No, just literally a row made of rings with no joints whatsoever. The rows above and below would weave through via their openings, and then they would be riveted. In essence you'd alternate rows of riveted and solid rings the entire length of the maille.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11369 on: January 27, 2010, 04:10:07 pm »

Does it mean that it will be possible to sort ammo stackSo we could make an ammo sorter job?

I hope it's not a placeholder and actual ammo sorting mechanics are in, right?

Wait, you mean a noble that actually does something? Don't be silly, Toady would never allow such things.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1065