Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529062 times)

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11640 on: January 31, 2010, 04:57:36 pm »

I'm fairly sure adamantine plate mail would work fine so long as you have some sort of padding (like a beard) underneath.  Even if the weight of the armour doesn't absorb the impact itself, it should still be spread out across the entire surface of the body.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11641 on: January 31, 2010, 05:01:48 pm »

I'm fairly sure adamantine plate mail would work fine so long as you have some sort of padding (like a beard) underneath.  Even if the weight of the armour doesn't absorb the impact itself, it should still be spread out across the entire surface of the body.

Okay, I think we're going in circles now.  If anyone's not aware, we already discussed adamantine's effectiveness, kevlar, padded armor (gambesons etc), mail vs. plate, blunt trauma transmission through plate armor, etc. just a few days/pages ago.  A lot of sources and Toadquotes on the subject were already posted, so please read that part of the discussion instead of rehashing it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:21:00 pm by Footkerchief »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: January 31, 2010, 05:24:02 pm »

What I meant in regards to axes, is that they are more often used to "chop" than "slice". Therefore, their effective edge is much larger, and the attack gains more energy from the weapon's momentum than of its sidewards motion, as would be a sword's case, or the weight of the wielder in the spear's case.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11643 on: January 31, 2010, 06:02:21 pm »

Plate armor and Kevlar actually work in very different ways.  The layers in a Kevlar vest constrict when hit with a bullet, absorbing much of the penetration force. It takes time for the layers to spread back out though, so bullet proof vests are generally just bullet resistant; multiple shots in rapid succession will penetrate the vest since the layers will be pierced if already bunched up.

I think he knows that they're different.  He said "in that sense, it's sort of like wearing Kevlar," and the sense was that kevlar also reduces the pressure of impact, which is true.  He never said they're the same thing or work the same way.

Point taken; I misread that a little.

What I meant in regards to axes, is that they are more often used to "chop" than "slice". Therefore, their effective edge is much larger, and the attack gains more energy from the weapon's momentum than of its sidewards motion, as would be a sword's case, or the weight of the wielder in the spear's case.

I think it can be argued that swords are just as commonly used as a chopping weapon as an axe, though it depends on the sword in question due to the wide variety of types. The mass concentration of the axe does give it some momentum advantages, but at the cost of becoming almost purely a chopping weapon.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: January 31, 2010, 07:13:38 pm »

*By "too lazy" I mean "unskilled enough to land blows before you skewer my lessor-armored self."
I don't think we're to Creatures-as-armor yet, as intriguing as using moneychangers may be to those around here.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11645 on: January 31, 2010, 07:59:10 pm »

One problem regarding armor is that the game might assume in the upcoming version that the armor material rests directly on top of the skin, as if it were another layer of the creature.

Wearing an extra layer of iron on your head (molded to your skull) simply won't help much compared to wearing an actual helmet, whose material doesn't transfer the impact directly to the underlying tissue.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: January 31, 2010, 08:05:43 pm »

So what with all this talk of adamantine making for bad hammers, I have a question:  What properties would we look for in a metal to be used in a warhammer?  Just weight?  Weight and impact yield?

Also, I had an awesome thought.  In the soap reaction we saw, one of the reagents was a barrel with the token [CONTAINS_LYE].  If there are similar tokens for other common containables, we might just be able to create usable sand by having a reaction that produces a bag with [CONTAINS_SAND].

It's a good day to be a modder.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: January 31, 2010, 08:12:55 pm »

[CONTAINS_SELF]
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11649 on: January 31, 2010, 09:07:56 pm »

Dunno. Lighter armor means it won't absorb so much of the energy, e'en if it is easier to move in.

Some lighter than steel materials can absorb energy very well, like the ceramic plates used in army body armour.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: January 31, 2010, 09:17:24 pm »

Dunno. Lighter armor means it won't absorb so much of the energy, e'en if it is easier to move in.

Some lighter than steel materials can absorb energy very well, like the ceramic plates used in army body armour.
Sorry, I meant momentum.
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11651 on: January 31, 2010, 09:23:27 pm »

Also, I had an awesome thought.  In the soap reaction we saw, one of the reagents was a barrel with the token [CONTAINS_LYE].  If there are similar tokens for other common containables, we might just be able to create usable sand by having a reaction that produces a bag with [CONTAINS_SAND].

A CONTAINS_SAND tag on a reaction product would be pretty bizarre, since there's more than one type of sand.  We're getting something better anyway: "I've been working on plaster orthopedic casts and some more reaction options have come out of that, like the use of the kiln and dumping products in container "reagents" (like an empty bag)."

So a quartz-to-sand reaction or whatever should work fine.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:25:14 pm by Footkerchief »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11652 on: January 31, 2010, 09:29:42 pm »

...this has me thinking of a corner case. Since you can use bags in reactions, what happens if you use a bag with abducted child contained therein?
Tilesets

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: January 31, 2010, 09:32:01 pm »

What indeed. Would the child survive?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11654 on: January 31, 2010, 09:34:52 pm »

...this has me thinking of a corner case. Since you can use bags in reactions, what happens if you use a bag with abducted child contained therein?

I'm guessing that a container must be empty to be usable as a "container reagent."  If you meant using the bag as a normal reagent, well, that's probably the same as in the current version.  You could make a reaction that vaporizes barrels and see if it accepts ones full of booze, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1065