Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3524847 times)

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11685 on: February 01, 2010, 06:37:22 pm »

Hehe i wait for the time when a massivly spatter-encrusted item is less worth then a clean one.
Or better yet, worth more! Not with all contaminants, but what would you pay more for: a sword, or a sword covered in super-rare/expensive dragon's blood?(As BM said, dragons are living conglomerations of expensive magical components.)

They'd have to prove that its dragon blood first, otherwise they could be scamming you.

But that just adds another entire level to the game! You have to watch out for people trying to bluff you.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11686 on: February 01, 2010, 06:38:42 pm »

This is a Snake Oil Melted Fat Spatter.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: February 01, 2010, 06:41:43 pm »

Hehe i wait for the time when a massivly spatter-encrusted item is less worth then a clean one.
Or better yet, worth more! Not with all contaminants, but what would you pay more for: a sword, or a sword covered in super-rare/expensive dragon's blood?(As BM said, dragons are living conglomerations of expensive magical components.)

They'd have to prove that its dragon blood first, otherwise they could be scamming you.

But that just adds another entire level to the game! You have to watch out for people trying to bluff you.

Or even try to do the scam yourself :)

You could also just steal it, but something as valuable as that is likely to be as heavily secured as Fort Knox.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: February 01, 2010, 06:45:48 pm »

Olon Institor: Ah and here we have Balmung or Nothung by some northern Guys. Bought it from such a crazy Blonde. Says he has killed a dragon with it. Nothing fancy but a good investition wha da ya Think?

Urist Wanto-be-a-hero: I dont wan ta here your stories Mista. I want cutting edge technology!

Seriously how sould a trader identify dragon-blood without TV-csi equipment? I would guess the weapon itself gets some powers thought so the netto worth is higher.

That begs another question can NPC form a link to other stuff they own?
And what will it do if you try to trade this thing away. Like say buying a beloved family treasure from a guy because otherwise he would starve to death. This things wouldnt even be so detailed then the weapons to get some fluff.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: February 01, 2010, 07:21:41 pm »

Seriously how sould a trader identify dragon-blood without TV-csi equipment? I would guess the weapon itself gets some powers thought so the netto worth is higher.

Well, presumebly if dragon blood has special properties, a human trader could send it to an alchemist, or wizard who would preform various magical reaction tests on it and send the results back, along with (if you're lucky) the sword.

A dwarf on the other hand, would probably just taste it.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: February 01, 2010, 07:26:07 pm »

-insert "tastes like chicken" joke here-
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11691 on: February 01, 2010, 07:54:11 pm »

Well, presumebly if dragon blood has special properties, a human trader could send it to an alchemist, or wizard who would preform various magical reaction tests on it and send the results back, along with (if you're lucky) the sword.

A dwarf on the other hand, would probably just taste it.

Traditionally, dragon's blood is acidic, and would etch or dissolve whatever it comes into contact with. Tons of stories of swords dissolving away after stabbing dragons. If so, it would be easy for a merchant to test it: dip something metal into the blood and see if it dissolves.

Toady, in upcoming versions, will we see acidic dragon's blood? Would it damage attackers or those who get spattered with it, or damage the weapons of those who pierce the dragon's hide?.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:56:39 pm by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: February 01, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »

Actually siegfried got invinceble by the Blood of fafnar and Notung (his sword) wasnt harmed by the blood. Dragons salvia on the other shall be rather nasty.

Proud to be a Furry.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: February 01, 2010, 08:27:45 pm »

Except, of course, this leaf stuck to his back...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: February 01, 2010, 08:42:30 pm »

Actually siegfried got invinceble by the Blood of fafnar and Notung (his sword) wasnt harmed by the blood. Dragons salvia on the other shall be rather nasty.

Yeah, but Notung/Gram/Balmung would clearly be an Artifact :P

As long as we're talking about the chemistry of dragon bodies, There's a hilariously awesome book on dragons by Peter Dickinson; title is "The Flight of Dragons". He basically tries to make Dragons "work" given what we know of science, evolution, etc.

His "theory" is that Dragons could have evolved from dinosaurs and flown via lighter-than-air means -- hydrogen gas produced internally. Hence, they'de be huge visually (bigger than anything natural has a right to be), they breathe fire (venting and igniting extra hydrogen gas), they'd have acidic "blood" (because the most natural way to produce hydrogen gas is by reaction with hydrochloric acid and calcium in the bones), they would often stop flying once wounded (depressurized), and there'd be no fossil remains (as their bodies would be dissolved by their own internal acids on death), etc. Great book, if a bit silly.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11695 on: February 01, 2010, 08:45:20 pm »

huh?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11696 on: February 01, 2010, 08:50:39 pm »

huh?

He was commenting on Siegfried's legend, in which he became totaly invincible by covering his whole body with a godly dragon's blood, except for a small pot which wasn't touched by the blood thanks to a leaf stuck in the place.

Moral: All trees's secret plan is to kill all nordic heroes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:52:12 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: February 01, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »

huh?

It proved to be his Achilles heel, so to speak.

Also, who's to say that Nothung/Gram/Balmung did not become an artifact DUE TO being dipped in dragon's blood and becoming the sword of a great epic hero whose story became the mythology of a nation?

In other words, until Siegfried dies and undergoes apotheosis, his sword isn't particularly noteworthy.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: February 01, 2010, 10:48:59 pm »

Fake dragon's blood? Why that's worth even more than real dragon's blood!

Moral: All trees's secret plan is to kill all nordic heroes.
Beware the mistletoe :/

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: February 01, 2010, 10:52:42 pm »

Fake dragon's blood? Why that's worth even more than real dragon's blood!

Yea, fake dragons blood made from fire chipmunk blood is even more expensive! Did I mention it would also be on fire? :) lol.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:22:46 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1065