Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529669 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1170 on: March 19, 2009, 09:11:14 am »

The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.

He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Oh Toady, you sick magnificent bastard.

I'm in the hospital now, i'm safe! Nothing can happen to me anymore, right guys? RIGHT??
*Sound of multiple dirty XXinstrumentsXX beign drawn*

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 19, 2009, 10:13:47 am »

You must sacrifice your body! For SCIENCE ARMOK!
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 19, 2009, 10:16:12 am »

Ah, I love reading the dev notes. That made my day!  ;D
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 19, 2009, 11:09:20 am »

The way I see it the dwarves surrounding him are skilled medical professionals...using modern practices.  They are waiting for the x-ray machine to be invented before they start.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 19, 2009, 11:34:21 am »

Actually the phylactery is taken entirely from Slavic myth only somewhat simplified (As well as the whole myth about Liches, which is essentially simply a powerful sorceror who put his soul away in an attempt to be immortal) . If you had read the legend of Kochei you would be aware of this.  D&D made only a few original critters and the liche isn't one of them.
As I mentioned, while there have been people who put their souls inside objects to escape death, they weren't called liches and they generally weren't like the DnD monster. Other people, aside from Kochei the Deathless (I don't really know anything about him beside the name), are Dorian Gray, from The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde; and Sauron, from The Lord of The rings by J.R.R Tolkien. And then there are lots of examples written after DnD, which may or may not be inspired by it, such as Voldemort, Davy Jones, and undoubtedly others.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 19, 2009, 12:52:34 pm »

I imagine we'll be hearing stories of Dwarven physicians going berserk, recanting the Hippocratic oath, and storming through fortresses beating things to death.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 19, 2009, 01:28:06 pm »

Actually the phylactery is taken entirely from Slavic myth only somewhat simplified (As well as the whole myth about Liches, which is essentially simply a powerful sorceror who put his soul away in an attempt to be immortal) . If you had read the legend of Kochei you would be aware of this.  D&D made only a few original critters and the liche isn't one of them.
As I mentioned, while there have been people who put their souls inside objects to escape death, they weren't called liches and they generally weren't like the DnD monster. Other people, aside from Kochei the Deathless (I don't really know anything about him beside the name), are Dorian Gray, from The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde; and Sauron, from The Lord of The rings by J.R.R Tolkien. And then there are lots of examples written after DnD, which may or may not be inspired by it, such as Voldemort, Davy Jones, and undoubtedly others.

I suggest you read a translation of the legend about Koschei to see that he is nearly exactly like the ones in D&D with very few differences (Such as his source of power being water).  The only reason people think that liche is a unique idea is because it's unique in the English-speaking world, nobody in the East would be fooled since the legend is known widely there and it's quite obviously mostly a rip-off of the Koschei.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 19, 2009, 01:30:30 pm »

You must sacrifice your body! For SCIENCE ARMOK!

How about 'For ARMOK'S SCIENCE'? I'm sure he gets bored too. :P

Also, hello everyone.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 19, 2009, 02:48:53 pm »

The only reason people think that liche is a unique idea

I don't think anyone did. Dungeons and Dragons isn't in the buisness of inventing new things (though they do it from time to time) but rather the buisness of bringing it all together often with Cliches!

----------------------------- Back to the matter at hand ---------------------------------

I find it odd that Toady is programming the physicians actually DOING their job before he impliments... well... their job... so to speak

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 19, 2009, 03:12:13 pm »

I find it normal. Make sure the usual dynamics of "go to job location, do job, return from lunch, continue job, return from break, continue job, return from drink, continue job, fail job due to patient dying" work, then figure out the actual healing process. Since there are a lot of things to do under "healing", I think doing the simple part first is better.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 19, 2009, 03:27:35 pm »

I imagine we'll be hearing stories of Dwarven physicians going berserk, recanting the Hippocratic oath, and storming through fortresses beating things to death.

Or the physician beating the dwarf within an inch of his life, then healing him back to health, then beating him, etc.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 19, 2009, 03:59:42 pm »

I bet Toady's dwarves are a special breed of dwarf.  Their greatest dream is to be mentioned in a devlog.  They such a high tolerance for pain and misfortune that it hardly effects them.  The dwarves with brains outside their skulls and organs outside their body with an inner core of skin?  That isn't disturbing at all.  Some random dwarf suddenly going mad and smashing you with a hammer made of dwarf skin? A male giving birth? Suddenly zoom around like the flash to hasten testing? These are day to day facts of life.

These dwarves would call dwarven gods like Ironblood pansies.  The only thing capable of bringing fear to this race of uberdwarves is the dreaded power of the -3.  But these dwarves do their job.  Their job is to prevent our weaker, pathetic dwarves from having to worry about such things. And they'll be damn certain nothing gets past them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 19, 2009, 04:24:08 pm »

How big is the hospital building? 5x5 with walls in between beds?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 19, 2009, 04:27:19 pm »

How big is the hospital building? 5x5 with walls in between beds?

It's a resizable zone, not a fixed building per se.

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 19, 2009, 04:44:46 pm »

Will physicians need tools to get the job done (like woodcutters/miners)? Will there be dedicated dwarfs (besides current health care)/professions/nobles associated with healing?
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 1065