Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529092 times)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11700 on: February 02, 2010, 12:20:57 am »

I can smell the sun rising.
It smells of new version.

This'll probably come out the weekend I'm supposed on "vacation".
I hope I don't miss the big release.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: February 02, 2010, 01:29:11 am »

About custom workshops: If I were to remove the key bindings for all the vanilla workshops, then replace them with equivalent custom workshops, what side effects would there be? Are there any workshops that can't be meaningfully replaced with custom ones?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: February 02, 2010, 01:56:39 am »

About custom workshops: If I were to remove the key bindings for all the vanilla workshops, then replace them with equivalent custom workshops, what side effects would there be? Are there any workshops that can't be meaningfully replaced with custom ones?
Nothing checks for power, so a mill wouldn't work. I don't think things check for magma either, but I could be wrong there.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: February 02, 2010, 02:34:12 am »

It sounds like there may be a more direct way of disabling vanilla workshops than remapping keys:

Quote from: Sean Mirrsen
Also, will there be completely no way to get rid of the standard workshops? Would it at least be possible to remap the keys so that the custom workshops can be built instead?

It can be done building by building for this release provided you don't care about the implications (ie, they'd still have access to certain products), but at least it would clear up interface clutter.  In that case, the keys would work properly.  That is, right now custom workshops can be assigned keys, but they shouldn't conflict with other keys that appear in the list of allowed buildings for that menu option (workshops, furnaces, etc.).

However, yeah, you will quickly run into some major side effects.  Reactions cannot:
- produce items with a quality other than "basic"
- handle decorations, bucket handles, or cloth's thing where thread/dye act like components
- produce multiple items in exactly the same way the "Make Crafts" jobs do
- use arbitrary reagents in containers (may or may not prevent glassmaking, depending on whether Toady added support for a CONTAINS_SAND tag)
- give you a nice hierarchical menu like you get at the forge (it'll just be one giant list with "Make iron short sword," "Make bronze short sword" etc.)
- produce a stack whose size is the sum of the sizes of the reagent stacks (like the kitchen does)

Nothing checks for power, so a mill wouldn't work. I don't think things check for magma either, but I could be wrong there.

"You can also ... set custom workshops to be magma-fueled."  But yeah, power doesn't work.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11704 on: February 02, 2010, 02:41:01 am »

What exactly do the impact/shear yield/fracture/elasticity in the material raws do?

The impact stuff had to do with blunt stuff and the shear stuff had to do with cutting stuff (which makes sense), according to an old raw preview, but it didn't go into detail.

I missed this question yesterday, but here's a bunch of quotes that go into much more detail:

Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

The other mechanical properties apparently come up in wrestling, but there haven't been many details about that:

Are you going to give us details about how all the numbers work in the raw files?

There are some details in the material template preview.

As a note, some of those "unused" ones have uses now -- all of the things like compressive/tensile/bending/torsion get used during wrestling, but that's about it I think.  They are around if we need them now though (not that it was easy to find any numbers, so most of the numbers are copies of ones I found for other materials or types of force...)

thanks, i thought that hardness was a factor, i was just too lazy to look it up.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: February 02, 2010, 03:02:56 am »

So, in light of all of the above, you can't completely replace anything except the smelter until at least the reactions can produce high-quality items. Once there, you can partially replace the forges, the alchemy shop (sans vials), the carpenter's and the mason's, the tannery, the still (we have barrel output, methinks), the siege workshop, the farmer's shop (though exactly how it'll handle various plants is a question), the kiln and the wood burner, the leatherworker's, aaaaaand... and I've forgotten if there are any others. We can't fully replace the clothesmaker's because of the dye, we can't have the craftsman's because of improvements, and no kitchen or butchery/fishery due to various problems involved. No kennel as well, for the same reason. So, gaining item quality on reaction output is currently the #1 suggestion from me.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: February 02, 2010, 03:28:18 am »

So, in light of all of the above, you can't completely replace anything except the smelter until at least the reactions can produce high-quality items. Once there, you can partially replace the forges, the alchemy shop (sans vials), the carpenter's and the mason's, the tannery, the still (we have barrel output, methinks), the siege workshop, the farmer's shop (though exactly how it'll handle various plants is a question), the kiln and the wood burner, the leatherworker's, aaaaaand... and I've forgotten if there are any others.

The kiln, wood furnace, and tannery should be replaceable already -- the material template for skin even includes a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT to facilitate the (presumed) new tanning reaction.  The alchemist's shop would be replaceable too, if it weren't being removed in favor of the new soapmaker's shop in the building raws.  The glass vials are just a building requirement, and custom workshops can handle those.

Quote from: Mephansteras
With the new custom workshops and the ability to add reactions to the Alchemist's shop, will you be adding the Alchemy skill back in?

The alchemist's workshop is nuked, but you can add your own.  The alchemy skill is still there for you to play with, though it isn't used by any of the default stuff.

Here's the soap maker's shop I'm currently using:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't remember if I tested this specific reaction or not.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:40:21 am by Footkerchief »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: February 02, 2010, 05:28:02 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Apparently when critters came wet out of the water and attacked people, some of the water transferred over and cleaned off other spatter on their victims' inventories
Who needs soap? I WILL CLEAN MY DWARVES WITH CAVE ALLIGATORS!!!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:04 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Apparently when critters came wet out of the water and attacked people, some of the water transferred over and cleaned off other spatter on their victims' inventories
Who needs soap? I WILL CLEAN MY DWARVES WITH CAVE ALLIGATORS!!!
Methinks they won't lather up in the beard very well but I guess that's not an issue
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:35 am »

Quote from: from the devlog
Zach's glacier tiles disappeared as he dug staircases

Looks like ThreeToe ran into the void tile bug. Glacier/ice tiles are known to act strange.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11710 on: February 02, 2010, 11:03:04 am »

so he ended up taking apart his wagon to build a staircase down to the rock.
But if it was the same way as usual they would disappear when he tried to place the second down staircase so he'd both have a miner sitting in a pit and unbroken ground where he tried to place down stairs. Some up stairs next to it and a new pair of down stairs where he originally tried to place them wouldn't require building any stairs.

Probably still related but definitely different than before.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: February 02, 2010, 01:02:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't remember if I tested this specific reaction or not.
That [CUSTOM_S] argument would be redundant if only custom workshops could get new reactions. Does that mean that we'll be able to add new reactions for the vanilla workshops as well?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: February 02, 2010, 01:06:45 pm »

So, Dev_now updated!

dogs and cats running around with random floating fingers... I wonder if this lovely bug is related to the 'cat bug' fix, or remnants in the raws of the hackish fix we've all been using.

Too bad it's being fixed, I can think of a few creatures that had floating, disembodied heads or hands that could have been created using that. :P
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: February 02, 2010, 01:09:54 pm »

Sounds like it was just an error when he was setting up the new raws.

I like all the stories of various bugs that are being found and fixed. They make for good reading. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: February 02, 2010, 01:24:34 pm »

The 'certain unsolid creatures' part interests me however. :)

The only 'unsolid' creatures (apart from vermin which exist in a wierd state atm) in the current version are Magmamen, SOF, and Firemen. I know theres the slimes or whatever in the Dig Deeper mod, but even those aren't truly 'unsolid'.

Firemen, conceptually, are made of some wierd plasma and in the new release, and I THINK its possible to make them gaseous somehow. So, they are out, magmamen are likely but I think he would have said magmamen if it were them. So, there are either some new 'normal' critters like slimes. Theres also the forgotten ones and the new demon stuff, remember the round shelled blob of goo and the mass of vomit in a vague shape of a frog?

Gelatinous might have been a better word here than 'unsolid'.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:26:55 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1065