Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3511182 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11790 on: February 03, 2010, 12:07:20 pm »

Since y'all are plunging doggedly off-topic, I'm going to point out the thread Physics and mathematics discussion, the one that was created to offload the frequent science derails from this thread, and is active as of a few days ago.  I know combustion's more chemistry than physics, but I'm sure they won't mind.  Or you could create a new thread, whatever.

Or you could make an attempt to tie this back to DF's reaction/material system.  Something to show you understand that this isn't #sciencechat.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:11:06 pm by Footkerchief »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11791 on: February 03, 2010, 12:08:14 pm »

Well, I would say if it does not exist already there needs to be another tag in place to determine special damage for creatures that have a weakness for a certain kind of material (silver for werewolves, iron for elves...) etc.  In other words, perhaps it should not be implemented as poison but something else?

It'll probably still be implemented as a material-linked syndrome -- that basically just means poison in the upcoming version, but syndromes will get expanded later on: "The [poison] framework should be easily extended to other material effects and to some non-material effects on creatures as well later on (for instance, alcohol effects or ointments that do whatever, as well as auras around creatures, 'gaze attacks', etc etc)."

This is assuming the werewolf/silver thing gets implemented at all -- it's apparently a very recent concept.

Since Silver isn't a poison in the raws. Werewolves cannot be vulnerable at this time unless you do some serious modding :P

What I was explaining to him/her was that even if one does make silver a poison for werewolves, it won't work the way one might want.

Eh. There's only one REAL way to kill a werewolf

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11792 on: February 03, 2010, 12:13:03 pm »

Actually, I can tie my stuff back into the system:

It would add quite a nice bit of fun if you had a fire that set some logs ablaze, but was initially contained at that. Some hauling peasant dwarf comes to the charred zone, sees some 'charcoal', and takes it to your storage while oblivious that the warmth of the log isn't due to the previous fire but instead because the heart of the log is still actively combusting.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11793 on: February 03, 2010, 12:17:35 pm »

I guess throwing yourself at a werewolf isn't such a bad idea after all!

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11794 on: February 03, 2010, 12:29:14 pm »

The discussion on historical and modern elements reminds me of watching my friends play an RPG (I think, appropriately enough, that it was the Werewolves RPG).  The rules had a spell allowing you to generate x amount of any element.  My friends decided it would be more fun to have any element mean any modern element rather than any ancient one.  This wound up working amusingly well when someone rolled perfectly and blocked off pursuit by producing a wall of pure carbon in diamond form.

So using modern elements where ancient conceptions of elements are intended can have some interesting consequences, which DF may wish to bear in mind.

Also, don't try to threaten me about dune references.  I will not fear, fear is the mind-killer

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11795 on: February 03, 2010, 12:31:03 pm »

Since y'all are plunging doggedly off-topic, I'm going to point out the thread Physics and mathematics discussion, the one that was created to offload the frequent science derails from this thread, and is active as of a few days ago.  I know combustion's more chemistry than physics, but I'm sure they won't mind.  Or you could create a new thread, whatever.

Or you could make an attempt to tie this back to DF's reaction/material system.  Something to show you understand that this isn't #sciencechat.
scold jamoecw :b
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11796 on: February 03, 2010, 12:49:51 pm »

I guess throwing yourself at a werewolf isn't such a bad idea after all!

Eat my leg, vile beast!
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11797 on: February 03, 2010, 12:53:46 pm »

I don't think the wolf is dead. I think it just passed out from all the booze the dwarf drinks.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11798 on: February 03, 2010, 01:09:20 pm »

It did after all get smashed.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11799 on: February 03, 2010, 01:22:21 pm »

The puns... they burn...  :o
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #11800 on: February 03, 2010, 01:28:02 pm »

Ahh! :D

The progress updates are daily again and full of entertaining anecdotes of *FUN*,  !!fun!! and some unexpected consequences from well intended features.

...wouldnt it be fun if Zach's carpenter's skeleton woke up after he drains the murky/bloody pond?

I am happy. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11801 on: February 03, 2010, 02:51:57 pm »

It would be more fun if draining the pond unleashed an ornery tentacle demon who had been sleeping there.

Or, if the carpenter skeleton woke up and peacefully went back to work.  Scaring the hell out of all the other dwarves and causing them to tantrum spiral.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11802 on: February 03, 2010, 02:53:28 pm »

scold jamoecw :b

exactly, how does a talk about historic elements and their relation to modern fit into DF.  all of this is about as related to DF as drow, you know just a bit off.  amazing how DF is not only just a bit off of a talk about black body radiation theory and its relation to fire and that cliche fantasy creatures are also only slightly off as well.  now if they had used molten metal as their analagy then it would have been right up DF's alley, and stereotypical fantasy creatures are also up its alley (werewolves, golems, etc.).  i think we can all agree that's pretty darn impressive for a sandbox game.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11803 on: February 03, 2010, 04:34:13 pm »

Sounds to me like that dwarf was fishing for werewolves.

If there ever was an unadvisable activity, that would be it, and I say he deserved to get his head ripped off.

Or maybe what they thought was a werewolf was actually the dreaded werecarp. Half-man, half-wolf *and* half-carp. So dreaded that it adds up to 150% of pure terror.

Oh, and I can think of one way to make silver rather toxic to werewolves right away:

1. Melt it.
2. Pour on werewolf.

The nice part is that silver has a fairly low melting point compared to other metals, so it'd be relatively easy to fashion containers for it. The real trick is keeping it from resolidifying before you're ready to make shiny werewolf statues.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11804 on: February 03, 2010, 05:43:21 pm »

Quote from: LumenPlacidum
Is the penetration size a measure of how far into the body the weapon can cut/pierce?  Like, how many layers and such?

And yeah, the penetration size controls how deep it can go, to avoid other strange things.

Following up on the above: Does penetration depth = (penetration size / contact area)?  If so, why does a morningstar (500/10) penetrate more deeply than a stab from a short sword (2000/50)?

Weapon raws for reference:

Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 1065