Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3524210 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11835 on: February 04, 2010, 08:49:39 am »

It's about $45 a month.  I had to move up one notch to a sharing a dedicated server because of speed/bandwidth problems.

Underground depth goes by the actual layers instead of tile depth.  That can really vary based on the contours above.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11836 on: February 04, 2010, 08:57:40 am »

I thought there were only 3 underground layers?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11837 on: February 04, 2010, 09:00:10 am »

The firemen raws stuff is pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see a battle against one because I bet when you injure it, it will 'leak' flame and red gas will obscure the battle. Not that obscuring the battle is a bad thing since we have the combat logs.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11838 on: February 04, 2010, 09:18:47 am »

I noticed a tag for molar mass in the flame raw. Will that be used in a significant manner in this release (e.g. lighter fluids rising above heavier fluids)?

If I mod a melting/boiling point to flame, would I get anything particulary usable or interesting after slicing through a fireman, or just flame splatters and/or flame debris?

Not that having a champion with "Flame splatter covering" on his face isn't cool enough.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11839 on: February 04, 2010, 09:23:24 am »

Those might be the ones I told you about, he he he.

I noticed a tag for molar mass in the flame raw. Will that be used in a significant manner in this release (e.g. lighter fluids rising above heavier fluids)?

If I mod a melting/boiling point to flame, would I get anything particulary usable or interesting after slicing through a fireman, or just flame splatters and/or flame debris?

Not that having a champion with "Flame splatter covering" on his face isn't cool enough.

Nope.  Nope.  Gas (which is what flame has as a "state") interacts very little with the properties.  Liquids are about as bad.  The molar mass is currently used when you are striking the gas.  An extremely heavy gas might be helped just a tad in combat, but it's probably negligible.  I'll need to do more with it later, but I didn't want to get bogged down with flow stuff.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11840 on: February 04, 2010, 09:33:26 am »

Quote from: Calenth
Do we know how artifact weapons and armor, specifically artifact weapons and armor made with strange materials, will interact with the materials system? Will an artifact bone spear be able to pierce normal steel plate, or will it be largely ineffectual? Will artifact weapons and armor acquire item damage? Would an artifact gold hammer get bent or broken when I bashed it on someone's adamantium helmet?
Quote from: Footkerchief
For combat purposes, artifacts are just unusually high quality:<quotes>

Yeah, the current situation is:

Value*10.
Cannot be owned (can be equipped, you might have to do it explicitly though).
Armor deflection roll has *3 roll modifier instead of the masterwork's *2.
Same for melee attack and archery rolls.
It looks like the artifact edges are the maximum edge for the material, which is also what a masterwork gets, so beyond a masterwork you'd just be getting the hit roll modifier.
Things like artifact bone spears will likely be crap against steel, yeah.  We don't have actual magical artifacts yet, and that's what would be required.

Wow, thanks! I've been wondering about the modifier for artifact weapons and armor for as long as I've been playing DF =). Sounds like weird-material artifact armor and weapons will be great against unarmored opponents, but less than stellar against ones in armor, and steel/adamantine armor/weapon artifacts will be just about the best in the game (apart from the adamantine hammer issue, which is separate).

So it will be worth it to lock my workshop doors and forbid all non-steel bars when my  armorsmith gets a mood :P Thanks!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11841 on: February 04, 2010, 09:45:41 am »

I lol'd at trousers and thirsty military. It seems like most bugs always end up killing off dwarves one way or another if it doesn't crash the game.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11842 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:44 am »

One of Zach's dwarves grew attached to his trousers.

Okaay, not sure if that should be a bug or not since we do have our favorite or preferred shirts, but pants? lol.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11843 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:39 am »

What's wrong with having a favorite pair of pants?!

Thanks for the answers as usual, Toady.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:06:16 am by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11844 on: February 04, 2010, 10:14:19 am »

Nothing, just thought it was wierd for dwarves since they pretty much let their clothes rot away without complaint.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11845 on: February 04, 2010, 10:18:25 am »

This release is nothing but secrets and lies. >:|

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11846 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:24 am »

I noticed that the fireman's [FIXED_TEMP] and the flame's [MAT_FIXED_TEMP] were contradictory. How does that work? Is [MAT_FIXED_TEMP] used for the material once it leaves the fireman's body, or something else? If it's the former, my dream of an exploding Hindenfish looks closer still!
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11847 on: February 04, 2010, 10:20:05 am »

This release is nothing but secrets and lies. >:|

Don't worry, it's all part of the surprise!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11848 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:39 am »

When I first read the pants bit I thought it was a strange bug with creature layers and healing.

Can tags that use an item, eg death drops, take a creature as a parameter? What about body parts that become a seperate creature when cut off? Maybe even a tag so that the new creature is treated like a creature of same type, but all other parts are missing (star fish).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:27:14 am by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11849 on: February 04, 2010, 10:54:30 am »

I hope we will be able to make masks in this release (without modding a custom workshop), because with all of the dangerous splashings and what not going on, I imagine I might need to equip a squad of dwarves with the equivalent of a dwarven bio-hazard suit (full helmet, full body suit, gloves, boots, etc.) in order to deal with lava men and fire men and so on.
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1065