Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529307 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11850 on: February 04, 2010, 11:02:33 am »

I hope we will be able to make masks in this release (without modding a custom workshop), because with all of the dangerous splashings and what not going on, I imagine I might need to equip a squad of dwarves with the equivalent of a dwarven bio-hazard suit (full helmet, full body suit, gloves, boots, etc.) in order to deal with lava men and fire men and so on.

Masks already exist in the current version, and if you add them to the dwarf entity (civilization) definition, they should be able to make them at the forge and wear them as armor.  The clothing system isn't exact enough that they protect the face specifically -- they'll just protect the head in general -- but they're in.

Can tags that use an item, eg death drops, take a creature as a parameter?

Only vermin, like in the current version.

What about body parts that become a seperate creature when cut off? Maybe even a tag so that the new creature is treated like a creature of same type, but all other parts are missing (star fish).

Nope, can't be done at all.  The item types for body parts and other "partial remains" are hardcoded.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:08:48 am by Footkerchief »

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: February 04, 2010, 11:08:20 am »

I hope we will be able to make masks in this release (without modding a custom workshop), because with all of the dangerous splashings and what not going on, I imagine I might need to equip a squad of dwarves with the equivalent of a dwarven bio-hazard suit (full helmet, full body suit, gloves, boots, etc.) in order to deal with lava men and fire men and so on.

Masks already exist in the current version, and if you add them to the dwarf entity (civilization) definition, they should be able to make them at the forge and wear them as armor.  The clothing system isn't exact enough that they protect the face specifically -- they'll just protect the head in general -- but they're in.

DO you know if masks work as well as a full helmet or not? I like the idea of putting my soldier-dwarves all in masks, but I wasn't sure if they'd be as well protected as if they were wearing helms -- you're sure that it's all "head protection", and there isn't like "back of head" or "front of head" or whatever?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:16:23 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: February 04, 2010, 11:30:38 am »

Toady are you planning to update the OP with the different shades of blue as you progress? Or will you just slap the sections green in one go when they're done? I'm wondering this because from the devlog I can see you've fixed some bugs (so should it be a very light shade of blue?), but they're all still in the "to do" phase even when you're posting in this thread.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: February 04, 2010, 11:47:09 am »

DO you know if masks work as well as a full helmet or not? I like the idea of putting my soldier-dwarves all in masks, but I wasn't sure if they'd be as well protected as if they were wearing helms -- you're sure that it's all "head protection", and there isn't like "back of head" or "front of head" or whatever?
You want to up the COVERAGE to protect dwarves from splashes and other unpleasant materials. The BLOCKPOWER is the vague defensive power of the item

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: February 04, 2010, 12:18:05 pm »

Toady are you planning to update the OP with the different shades of blue as you progress? Or will you just slap the sections green in one go when they're done? I'm wondering this because from the devlog I can see you've fixed some bugs (so should it be a very light shade of blue?), but they're all still in the "to do" phase even when you're posting in this thread.

He's probably holding off until he has a better feel for how far along he is.

You want to up the COVERAGE to protect dwarves from splashes and other unpleasant materials. The BLOCKPOWER is the vague defensive power of the item

Also, I'm pretty sure they can wear masks and helmets at the same time, due to masks' small LAYER_PERMIT.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: February 04, 2010, 12:35:09 pm »

From my quick reading, a small layer_permit would be bad.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: February 04, 2010, 12:46:07 pm »

Not unless you want bikinis :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: February 04, 2010, 12:47:43 pm »

Huh, yeah, you're right.  I don't get why masks would have a LAYER_PERMIT that's smaller than their LAYER_SIZE, but in any case, masks and helms/caps are on different layers (masks are UNDER, helms/caps are ARMOR), so you should still be able to wear them at the same time, which I think goblins do all the time.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: February 04, 2010, 12:49:12 pm »

"One of Zach's dwarves grew attached to his trousers"... Now there is a story right there for the next Dorf Shorts...
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: February 04, 2010, 12:49:43 pm »

A couple questions about this version..

1.  Will dwarves still use coffins for invading dead dwarves?  Honestly I'm a little tired of my coffin space being used for enemy dwarves who sided with goblins in attacks on my fortress.  Seriously - dwarven led goblin raids?  Why do they get a respectable burial?  Love thy enemies doesn't apply to dwarves.

2.  I want to make sure - will wrestling dwarves now be able to cross train as marksdwarves?  A little tired of having to start every dwarf as a marksdwarf since he'll never be able to practice again once he learns a little wrestling.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: February 04, 2010, 12:55:05 pm »

A couple questions about this version..

1.  Will dwarves still use coffins for invading dead dwarves?  Honestly I'm a little tired of my coffin space being used for enemy dwarves who sided with goblins in attacks on my fortress.  Seriously - dwarven led goblin raids?  Why do they get a respectable burial?  Love thy enemies doesn't apply to dwarves.

Dwarven love transcends space, time, upbringing, loyalty, status, and common sense. This is fact.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: February 04, 2010, 01:00:40 pm »

This will probably be the same in the next version, yes.  If it bothers you, it's pretty easy to forbid the corpses (you can even auto-forbid them via the orders menu).

2.  I want to make sure - will wrestling dwarves now be able to cross train as marksdwarves?  A little tired of having to start every dwarf as a marksdwarf since he'll never be able to practice again once he learns a little wrestling.

I don't have a definite answer for you, but it's a known problem related to these bugs:

# 000528 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][equipment]   wrestlers with crossbows don't grab bolts but grab bolts once they become marksdwarves, an elite wrestler set as a marksdwarf also continued to spar after grabbing a crossbow
# 000550 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][equipment]    wrestler that pulled off somebody's armor during sparring carried it around forever

And it's exactly the kind of thing that would (probably) get fixed by the military/combat/skills/equipping changes that have been made.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: February 04, 2010, 01:30:07 pm »

I also hope that the "barracks clutter" bug is fixed too. i don't want to atomsmash my barracks over and over :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: February 04, 2010, 01:36:49 pm »

Third question...

I know there's a few changes made to how items are assigned to dwarves for ownership, but will that include unassigning them?

I ask because it seems Dwarves don't know how to get rid of old, worn out clothes, and will refuse to be forced to dump them.  Thus, their chests end up stocked with ragged clothes they've no use for and will never wear again, which eventually creates immovable clutter once the cabinets are full.

Thank you for the answers thus far.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: February 04, 2010, 01:39:28 pm »

I also hope that the "barracks clutter" bug is fixed too. i don't want to atomsmash my barracks over and over :P.
Yeah, that's definitely fixed in the next version.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1065