Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529543 times)

Joutilas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1215 on: March 20, 2009, 10:40:48 am »

Using terms like "doctor" or "surgeon" bothers me somewhat. I'd use a more archaic term that doesn't have so strong link to modern medicine. Chirurgeon? Barber surgeon?

Or then have "progression" for the titles: healer -> bone-mender -> doctor -> chirurgeon

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 20, 2009, 10:55:03 am »

Using terms like "doctor" or "surgeon" bothers me somewhat. I'd use a more archaic term that doesn't have so strong link to modern medicine. Chirurgeon? Barber surgeon?

Or then have "progression" for the titles: healer -> bone-mender -> doctor -> chirurgeon

Yeah, I feel the same way, and we've talked about this a while ago. The common consensus was, that "chirurgeon" should be used in the game instead of something "modern" term.

catfry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 20, 2009, 11:14:24 am »

If we get 5 more unit types and won't get job priorities (plese tell me that I'm wrong) it means at least 5 more dedicated dwarfs in big forts.

I think I'll need to bump the 200 dwarf cap up a bit...  :-\

It has been my impression that many people find it very hard to employ all dwarves once a fort get's above a certain size. A second point is that many people find the game lacking in challenges currently. A greater labour demand is a challenge.
If you have a fort that gets siged 3 times a year you are playing at what would equal the 'hard' level in other games. The game should be hard.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 20, 2009, 12:21:53 pm »

Urist McAverage has been ecstatic lately. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer recently. He dined in a legendary dining room recently. He contacted AIDS recently.

That just popped into my head.

Dwarven postmen are making it into the next update? SWEET
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 20, 2009, 12:39:14 pm »

Hmm that brings up the point to when (or if) Toady is going to input the "Tough it out" code where Dwarves feel that they arn't injured enough and will just keep doing what they are doing. (possibly fueled by their personality)

this is an awesome idea, perhaps tie it into whatever governs the "doesnt care about anything anymore" thing, so on one end of the scale, you might have dwarves who are complete hypochondriacs and the other, ultra badass dudes who call being turned into a quadraplegiac a flesh wound

also, a question for toady. with the whole soap deal tying itself into medical care/surgery, does this mean infection of wounds will be making an appearance?

not even that long ago (take WW1 for example) infection was a huge cause of death after battles so if something along these lines comes in, it would be pretty cool. perhaps it would also be possible to distil some medical alcohol (which would probably double as a weak dwarven ale or something.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 20, 2009, 12:54:16 pm »

"Healthcare" is gone -- there are currently 7 new labor settings, 5 unit types, and 6 skills.  I've grouped the entire vpl list into 15 sections to make it easier to mess with (I'm aware of further changes people want there, but I can't do it all now).

Oh wow, cool.

also, a question for toady. with the whole soap deal tying itself into medical care/surgery, does this mean infection of wounds will be making an appearance?

not even that long ago (take WW1 for example) infection was a huge cause of death after battles so if something along these lines comes in, it would be pretty cool. perhaps it would also be possible to distil some medical alcohol (which would probably double as a weak dwarven ale or something.)

If you check the list in the OP under Wounds, you'll see that wound infection has been put off for the time being but might still make it into this release.  So, maybe.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 20, 2009, 12:56:07 pm »

Quote from: Footkerchief
If you check the list in the OP under Wounds, you'll see that wound infection has been put off for the time being but might still make it into this release.  So, maybe.

ahh yeah, I did check before, but I missed it because its under venom, not wounds or healthcare.

oh well. hope it makes it in.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 20, 2009, 12:58:07 pm »

ahh yeah, I did check before, but I missed it because its under venom, not wounds or healthcare.

Haha oops, my bad.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 20, 2009, 01:31:10 pm »

Quote from: Emeralddragon2
I've noticed toady has handled the concepts of "undead" vs "has soul", but I can't seem to find a mention of exactly how said concepts were handled.

Would someone like to enlighten my curiosity?
Quote from: Sowelu
I don't know how or if it's been handled yet for undead, but relevant questions are things like, does a zombie have memories and thoughts--or is it totally controlled by its master?  If it doesn't have thoughts, then can it perceive things, or it the master controlling it like an extension of his body?  Can a zombie have mental attributes without having memories?  Stuff like that.  I haven't seen anything about what got decide here.

I'm not going to make any involved decisions until I actually get to doing curses.  I just needed to answer the question in some way to make the game playable.  Right now, undead have no souls, but that's not canon.  It's just an ease-of-use decision that aligns with the current behavior.  Curses will likely have those questions answered in multiple ways.

Undead should totally have souls! The necromancers recall souls from the beyond when they reanimate the body, simultaneously forcing said soul into a contract which compels it to do the necromancers will. Without the soul, they would simply be constructing a flesh golem, which would still require some sort of limited artificial intelligence to be imposed upon it before it could do anything at all. And the construction and binding of said AI's is a completely different field of magic from necromancy, and involves such difficulties that flesh and bone are usually an impractical choice of material due to their limited durability. That's why golems are typically made out of clay or  stone, or if you can afford it metal. But golems are not undead, even if they are made from flesh and bone; that just makes them animated dead.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 20, 2009, 01:37:52 pm »

Undead should totally have souls! The necromancers recall souls from the beyond when they reanimate the body, simultaneously forcing said soul into a contract which compels it to do the necromancers will. Without the soul, they would simply be constructing a flesh golem, which would still require some sort of limited artificial intelligence to be imposed upon it before it could do anything at all. And the construction and binding of said AI's is a completely different field of magic from necromancy, and involves such difficulties that flesh and bone are usually an impractical choice of material due to their limited durability. That's why golems are typically made out of clay or  stone, or if you can afford it metal. But golems are not undead, even if they are made from flesh and bone; that just makes them animated dead.

This discussion already happened in this thread, starting around here (ctrl+f for "soul").

It was also discussed even more thoroughly here, which isn't so old that you can't bump it if you have something to contribute.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 20, 2009, 01:38:02 pm »

Quote from: catfry
'Plaster casts', a use for gypsum?

Yeah, that's right.  Anhydrite too, I guess (depending on how fast it sucks up water, no idea), but I don't know what I'll actually end up doing.  I don't want to mess around with flows over rocks that interact with water yet.  I'm also not sure how much water will be involved in the use of plaster for casts...  lots of jobs that should use water right now don't use water, and I don't see a reason to alter that right now if it makes things too annoying for me.

Cool. Will there be other ways to make casts if you don't have Gypsum (or trade access to it)? If not, maybe traders could always be able to bring barrels/bags of plaster?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 20, 2009, 02:43:06 pm »

The doctors now plan out our dwarf's care in detail, but lacking the tools they need, we still find them prescribing nothing more than bed rest.

"Doctor! A goblin chopped of my arm, and this bolt is stuck in my forehead!"
"Hmmhmm... Go lie in that bed over there and sleep it off for a few months."
"So... So, so my arm will grow back right?"
"............................. Yes. Yes it will."
"There's blood leaking from my hea-"
"Sleep. Bed. Now. Next!"
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 20, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »

I'm guessing that if you lack the materials for casts, you'll have to make do with slings or splints, which would just take longer to heal, and maybe allow for reopening of the wound if the dwarf goes back to work. If you have no wood or cloth..well then your dwarf is in for a long and difficult recovery.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 20, 2009, 02:57:51 pm »

Quote from: catfry
'Plaster casts', a use for gypsum?

Yeah, that's right.  Anhydrite too, I guess (depending on how fast it sucks up water, no idea), but I don't know what I'll actually end up doing.  I don't want to mess around with flows over rocks that interact with water yet.  I'm also not sure how much water will be involved in the use of plaster for casts...  lots of jobs that should use water right now don't use water, and I don't see a reason to alter that right now if it makes things too annoying for me.

Cool. Will there be other ways to make casts if you don't have Gypsum (or trade access to it)? If not, maybe traders could always be able to bring barrels/bags of plaster?

To be fair, if the civ you're trading with doesn't have access to the raw plaster material, they shouldn't have access to the plaster either.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 20, 2009, 03:05:55 pm »

I'm guessing that if you lack the materials for casts, you'll have to make do with slings or splints, which would just take longer to heal, and maybe allow for reopening of the wound if the dwarf goes back to work. If you have no wood or cloth..well then your dwarf is in for a long and difficult recovery.

A think that's a good way to approach it.

I just don't want to see MORE of the 'no-sand-on-map' issues, where you lose dwarves just because you don't have access to a basic item.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 1065