Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529945 times)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12615 on: February 15, 2010, 06:08:54 pm »

Material breaths probably aren't used yet in worldgen combat, but if a race with breath attacks (or poison injections, etc.) sieges your fortress, they'll use their abilities.

Ok, that's fine. I just want a fire elemental-ish civ that can siege and breath fire on you, even though they are fairly peaceful (if you don't provoke them).

Limited to pre-existing skills.  There aren't any custom skills yet.

Aww, there goes my idea of a book writer skill. But it doesn't rule out a workshop that deals with paper that can be "engraved" by your recordkeeper  ;)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12616 on: February 15, 2010, 06:11:13 pm »

Yes, I believe it does. You can't create things in workshop that even have quality modifiers yet, so you're almost certainly not going to be able to do, say, decorations.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12617 on: February 15, 2010, 06:24:10 pm »

I think the raws for one of the new underground "feature creatures" had a poison breath attack.

No; I thought so too, but it turns out one had a normal firebreath attack (which still uses the single token) and the other had a poison bite and I got the two mixed up.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12618 on: February 15, 2010, 06:32:53 pm »

Yes, I believe it does. You can't create things in workshop that even have quality modifiers yet, so you're almost certainly not going to be able to do, say, decorations.

Oh, really. That's too bad. I was looking forward to making some sort of "sew leather image" parallel that can be done onto blank books that allows for me to see what the book is about.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12619 on: February 15, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »

Spoilery stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12620 on: February 15, 2010, 06:36:43 pm »

That was my first thought when reading his post, too  ;D

Discworld MUDders unite!

Here! Man, that brings back some memories.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12621 on: February 15, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »

Having the traders bring the mumps for the 8th time and lay out half the dwarfs in the fortress and bring things to even more of a standstill just, ugh.

I got this sudden mental image of the traders bringing glass trinkets and blankets to trade to the long-established dwarves, and incidentally wiping them out with mumps, and colonising the vast tracts of fortress that open up...

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12622 on: February 15, 2010, 06:44:41 pm »

Spoilery stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am pretty sure they can, at least it seems that this feature was described in conjunction with them...  (see the HTML chose your own adventure Toady made)

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12623 on: February 15, 2010, 08:21:00 pm »

Something I had been thinking about... If I remember correctly one of the new features of the next version was skilled Dwarves teaching other Dwarves. In the example I read the skilled dwarf sat down to teach a few other dwarves the skill.
And ever since I read about there being a chief medical dwarf... I wondered if it would be possible to (either have this as default or something to mod in) have him only teach while walking - preferably down hallways :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12624 on: February 15, 2010, 08:28:29 pm »

The training/lessons/etc currently only apply to the military, unfortunately.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12625 on: February 15, 2010, 08:47:25 pm »

Having the traders bring the mumps for the 8th time and lay out half the dwarfs in the fortress and bring things to even more of a standstill just, ugh.

I got this sudden mental image of the traders bringing glass trinkets and blankets to trade to the long-established dwarves, and incidentally wiping them out with mumps, and colonising the vast tracts of fortress that open up...

Speaking of blankets, can beds consist of more than just a wood log now? Can we add mattresses and pillows and such?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12626 on: February 15, 2010, 09:46:32 pm »

Something I had been thinking about... If I remember correctly one of the new features of the next version was skilled Dwarves teaching other Dwarves. In the example I read the skilled dwarf sat down to teach a few other dwarves the skill.
And ever since I read about there being a chief medical dwarf... I wondered if it would be possible to (either have this as default or something to mod in) have him only teach while walking - preferably down hallways :P

And have a team consisting of a human and two dwarves (one male, one female) who do all his dirty work while he runs around pissing off the other dwarves and generally being an ass?

Perhaps he should have a wounded right leg too.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #12627 on: February 15, 2010, 10:06:24 pm »

Actually, Toady has an official stance as to who you as the player are. He says you embody the "official will" of the fortess.  You're the conglomeration of policies and decisions made by all the leaders of the fortress. 

You're the bureaucracy, become sentient. Joy! You know your paperwork is excessive when...
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12628 on: February 15, 2010, 10:16:24 pm »

...So the "official will" of the fortress is sometimes to annihilate themselves with a self-destruct lever? I had always assumed the player was Armok, it would explain the "slaves to Armok" part of the title, and why the dwarves will do very stupid things when ordered.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12629 on: February 15, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »

...So the "official will" of the fortress is sometimes to annihilate themselves with a self-destruct lever? I had always assumed the player was Armok, it would explain the "slaves to Armok" part of the title, and why the dwarves will do very stupid things when ordered.

The fun of bureaucracy is the miscommunication that can happen

"Urist, pull that lever"

"Er...didn't I see a mechanic link it to that floodgate over there? The one holding back magma?"

"Ah, well, I'm afraid you'll have to submit an inquiry form with the Floodgates Guild."

"Oh? Is that easy?"

"You can find out yourself if you check your Ease Of Red Tape chart, article 17, column 22, row 10, 1998 edition (but not the reprint)."

"Right. Well, off to pull the lever I guess"
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1065