Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3510727 times)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12645 on: February 16, 2010, 09:18:23 am »

A little bit of me died today. I no longer care when the update comes, or if it comes at all. I've spent 2 months being hyped up and checking in twice a day to ensure that the release hasn't come out, but I'm done. It's not so much the zen art of acceptance as the final bit of care slipping for a childhood friend.

The easiest way to find it is to stop looking.  I promised myself I would play no more Dwarf Fortress until my Master's Thesis was done, and since Toady would finish the new version before I'd finish my project, I could start a new fort the day after I got my degree.

My project advisor just signed off on my last major report.  I have about two weeks before I defend my thesis.  Toady is talking about feature testing and debugging (not coding) so you know he's close, too. 

Lastly, I submit to you that it's not Schrodinger's Software Update, but Heisenberg's: you've been reading the status updates, so you know the update's velocity -- and therefore its position is unknowable to you.  Conversely, when you stop checking its velocity, its position will become measurable.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12646 on: February 16, 2010, 09:50:34 am »

Is it just me that thinks blind cavefish men should be ya'know... blind?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12647 on: February 16, 2010, 09:53:32 am »

Hey, y'know what's awesome? I got an entire page of General Discussion to my post. 1/832 of this thread is MINE!!!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12648 on: February 16, 2010, 10:13:43 am »

Going back to the earlier mention of making custom workshops as museum plinths, it got me to thinking; is it possible to make a workshop that doesn't actually have any tasks possible? (Not greened because I'm sure someone here can answer it).

My project advisor just signed off on my last major report.  I have about two weeks before I defend my thesis. 

Congrats man.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12649 on: February 16, 2010, 10:31:11 am »

Hang in there guys, in the end it'll all be worth it :) And hopefully the next update will keep us all so busy that the next update after it will come in a flash.

Testing is always a bit unpredictable process, since one never knows what is broken. I'd rather have a working DF one month from now, than a broken DF right now.

*Mandaril craves his next fix*
*hand twitches in DF withdrawal symptoms*

The wait is hard on all of us ;D
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12650 on: February 16, 2010, 10:51:35 am »

Is it just me that thinks blind cavefish men should be ya'know... blind?
Creatures without sight frequently have ways of sensing their environment. A combination of feeling vibrations, listening, sensing warmth, echolocation, and so forth can give them a perfect sense of what's going on around them, even though they're lacking eyes.

I had a dream last night that I visited the Dwarf Fortress homepage and it said "VERSION 3 NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD" and I was like "Finally!!" It didn't occur to me in the dream that I must have been asleep for 20 years or something to be witnessing the release of DF v3.0.

But at any rate, DF is on my mind, and I can't wait for the new version! I've been unable to bring myself to play the current version because it feels... somehow empty. I know that there's a version coming up with an interesting and dangerous underground, tons of new features, and cool new ways to have Fun. I feel like I'm playing a stripped-down version. I know it's all in my head... But I feel like the new release is SO CLOSE. But I've felt that way since October.

Rystic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12651 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03:22 am »

Lastly, I submit to you that it's not Schrodinger's Software Update, but Heisenberg's: you've been reading the status updates, so you know the update's velocity -- and therefore its position is unknowable to you.  Conversely, when you stop checking its velocity, its position will become measurable.

I was thinking that. In the end I decided Schrodinger because the premise was that the update would happen when he stopped checking, but since that statement could be valid or invalid, until he looked at the page it existed as updated and not updated at once.
A sturdy creature, fond of drink and industry.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #12652 on: February 16, 2010, 11:08:18 am »

I promised myself I would play no more Dwarf Fortress until my Master's Thesis was done, and since Toady would finish the new version before I'd finish my project, I could start a new fort the day after I got my degree.

I did the same thing. Defended in September. Good thing I'm on my PhD now, even comps are still a long way off :)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12653 on: February 16, 2010, 11:16:04 am »

The sad thing is, over a year ago I told myself I wouldn't play again till the next version came out, just because of the save break.

So I waited a year and then once he finished the dev list and moved to bugtesting, I realized "hey, it's soon now!" and started planning my next fort, downloaded quickfort, made some sample layouts.. .

started playing with world gen parameters again . . .

generated a few sample sites, just for "research" . . .

started playing a "Test fort" . ..

Now I'm all attached to what was supposed to be a test fort! It has sand and magma and a river in a marble & obsidian mountain!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12654 on: February 16, 2010, 12:49:32 pm »

Such a good buglist devlog today - super hilarious. Also, if I'm reading that right, seems like we got more testers working on this bad boy. That's good! The more eyes on this project the more bugs will be found...as shown.

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12655 on: February 16, 2010, 01:55:57 pm »

I wonder how he chose the testers?  he said they were "old hands"

maybe he sorts everyone by their forum post count & picks the top 3 or something.  Talk about galvanizing community participation!

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12656 on: February 16, 2010, 02:13:03 pm »

I have old hands... can I test?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12657 on: February 16, 2010, 02:24:15 pm »

I realized these are spoilers:
[spoiler]Also, in response to the "who is the player" conversation a while back; I believe that in Fortress mode you are the fortress. You can control your doors and influence the dwarves within you; they make you grow and keep you functioning. When there is no more dwarven fortress, you die. (On that subject, it would be nice if the word "fortress mode" was replaced with "city/castle mode", "forest/grove mode", or "tower mode" when you pick different civilizations. [This color code has DF in it.])
In the present version, that's not possible on the new game, since it has you picking your civ (and therefore race) when you're picking embark site.

But you could put it in on the load-game menu.
I look forward to new and exciting ways ones can commit genocide on various freak-of-nature men as you colonize the underground. Although I have to wonder how far this effect will go.

Fluffy Wambler Men?
like dwarves and the hu-man.

You know, you can still play the older versions of DF after the new one comes out. They won't be any less fun than they were before, except by way of opportunity cost.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12658 on: February 16, 2010, 02:29:50 pm »

I wonder how he chose the testers?  he said they were "old hands"

maybe he sorts everyone by their forum post count & picks the top 3 or something.  Talk about galvanizing community participation!
There were some guys from outside the forum testing the game before the first public release back in 2006. I wasn't around then, but I read the "Back to the dwarf game" thread some time ago to see what things the people of the past were eagerly awaiting for. The name "Alan" springs to mind for some reason.

I'd venture a guess that there's no forumites testing the game, though I wouldn't be surprised if Footkerchief was.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12659 on: February 16, 2010, 02:31:44 pm »

the hu-man.

That's a good point, I wonder what the raws look like for a hu.  Are they vermin?
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 1065