Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3504776 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12810 on: February 18, 2010, 05:07:53 pm »

Quote from: devlog
I also fixed a mood bug that was making them go to the work shops and yell "I must have items!" instead of being more specific.

Jesus Christ that's frightening.  I can only imagine the uproar if that had turned up on release.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12811 on: February 18, 2010, 05:11:27 pm »

Imagine if he did actually ask for items.

"This is a brimstone throne. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. The item is encrusted with bronze shortswords, iron low boots and bauxite floodgates."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12812 on: February 18, 2010, 05:15:05 pm »

Is the strange but rare super-slow dwarf bug fixed?

I mean like this jeweler dwarf at one of my forts:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1485-slowestdwarfever

I've encountered this twice in two different forts during the years I've played DF.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12813 on: February 18, 2010, 05:20:15 pm »

From memory, I believe the Huns wore the silk not to stop arrows, but to aid in their extraction -- the silk threads wouldn't cut, so they could be pulled on to extract the arrows with a minimum of additional wounding. You could make padded cloth armor out of silk, that could conceivably stop arrows, but it wouldn't be normal clothing.

The Mongols did it.  I can't remember if they used silkworm, or spider silks, but the silk would have possibly worked.  You see, while it certainly goes in, the Mongol and Chinese arrows didn't slice the silk, so you could pull the clothing out around the wound and the arrow should come out.  I canNOT account for certain arrows (Bodkins, for instance, or any culture that puts time making sure their arrows are sharp enough), nor for bolts (The additional force behind it might be able to flat out force it through).  Either way, the damage is still done by the arrow, it just makes it possible to remove easily without killing or disabling the person who took the arrow.
here is a pic of an early chinese silk armor:  http://image57.webshots.com/457/5/28/60/2346528600100599642KJNzxn_ph.jpg

it is quite padded, as far as silk doing that, most of the penetration would have to be stopped by armor first, since silk is quite similar to kevlar for the purposes of 'catching' arrows.  it does not stretch much, thus if you have a shirt and it does catch the arrow on the way in, then at the very least it will either have to stop the arrow when it runs out of cloth, or break.  it is going to need enough cloth in every direction of the wound for the penetration, hence if it penetrates 6inches (roughly short bow against unarmared) it will need to pull up the bottom of the shirt 6 inches (not too big of a deal), pull 6 inches of cloth from both sides (that means as much as pulling your shirt 6 inches out to the side which is pretty baggy for someone in combat, but not too unlikely if they wore armour over that), and finally pull 6 inches down (since gravity probably keeps the slack out this becomes quite unlikely).  as for keeping out infection, i could see it catching the fragments from armour, but as far as contamanents go it would bleed through the silk, i could also see it as smoothing out the features of the arrow head allowing less damage from its shape, but these are all conditional on not penetrating the silk.  the han tended to use poison tipped arrows when their shortbowmen were professional, thus the silk wouldn't do much good.  the mongols used composite bows which would penetrate deeper than 6 inches without some substantial armour.  the huns would have faced things other than shortbows in their war against the roman/gaul alliance far more readily than shortbows.

in the end i'd say that silk does have 'catching capability' but it would be quite doubtful if silk was ever worn because it can help one recover from a rather mild arrow injury, i would bet it's superior qualities as both insulation to the elements and its absorption of impacts were why it was worn, and most magical recovery properties attributed to it probably was because silk is far less likely to cause infection when penetrated than any other cloth used at those times.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: February 18, 2010, 05:41:37 pm »

"This is a brimstone throne. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. The item is encrusted with bronze shortswords, iron low boots and bauxite floodgates."

Imagine a weapon encrusted with weapons, and it menaced with spikes of spears or something.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12815 on: February 18, 2010, 05:43:51 pm »

Imagine a weapon encrusted with weapons, and it menaced with spikes of spears or something.

First one that does that, I'm renaming Urist McZibit
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: February 18, 2010, 06:21:50 pm »

I'm going for the long money and say that Kobolds will be buffed in such an unusual way that they'll inadvertantly be made into killing machines.

There is no basis for this speculation.
Happened in Dungeons and Dragons already.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12817 on: February 18, 2010, 06:24:10 pm »

Or even better: an artifact weapon... encrusted/menacing with artifact weapons.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12818 on: February 18, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »

Or even better: an artifact weapon... encrusted/menacing with artifact weapons.

Exponetial awesome. If that were used as part of an artifact, the world may explode.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12819 on: February 18, 2010, 06:34:01 pm »

Adorned with hanging rings of unknown substance....

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12820 on: February 18, 2010, 06:42:04 pm »

Wait, before this thread is derailed:

Will named weapons gain any bonuses due to their being named or is it just a name?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12821 on: February 18, 2010, 06:47:19 pm »

IIRC the Chinese DID use paper armor against arrows, where the cunning folds trapped them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12822 on: February 18, 2010, 06:49:09 pm »

Quote from:  TODAY'S DEV LOG
Fortunately he didn't pull out the sutures. That's all fixed.

wait.. you fixed it so he tears out his sutures now?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:19 pm »

Wait, before this thread is derailed:

Will named weapons gain any bonuses due to their being named or is it just a name?
It's just a name, according to previous answers.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12824 on: February 18, 2010, 07:00:59 pm »

But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

I will sig this.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1065