Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3504909 times)

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12825 on: February 18, 2010, 07:28:19 pm »

Wait, before this thread is derailed:

Will named weapons gain any bonuses due to their being named or is it just a name?
It's just a name, according to previous answers.

:(

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12826 on: February 18, 2010, 07:41:49 pm »

Quote from:  TODAY'S DEV LOG
Fortunately he didn't pull out the sutures. That's all fixed.

wait.. you fixed it so he tears out his sutures now?
Sounds like the problem was that the sutures were pulled out previously. That has been fixed, and so now they do not... I think.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12827 on: February 18, 2010, 08:10:00 pm »

Wait, before this thread is derailed:

Will named weapons gain any bonuses due to their being named or is it just a name?
It's just a name, according to previous answers.

I think I heard that due to important bits in the artifact code, the named weapons will be quasi-indestructible, in the sense that if you destroy a named weapon and abandon and reclaim/come as an adventurer, the item will come back.

But yeah, they're just weapons that've killed a lot of things and maybe a few words carved in the handle. No reason for them to have damage bonuses or anything like that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12828 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:59 pm »

Imagine if he did actually ask for items.

"This is a brimstone throne. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. The item is encrusted with bronze shortswords, iron low boots and bauxite floodgates."

Imagine a weapon encrusted with weapons, and it menaced with spikes of spears or something.
I'm going for the long money and say that Kobolds will be buffed in such an unusual way that they'll inadvertantly be made into killing machines.

There is no basis for this speculation.
Happened in Dungeons and Dragons already.

Add them together and we've got a hammer encrusted with kobolds. On each hit there are some extra claw and bite attacks.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12829 on: February 18, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »

Can the material state accept multiple values?  Or be left undefined if we don't care?

I'm just thinking of an Iron Golem, where it might be ok if it melted, but not ok if it boiled.

TISSUE_MAT_STATE only accepts a single state, and I don't think you can leave it out.  However, you might be able to achieve the desired effect by customizing the iron's various HEATDAM_POINT values.

If you wanted to make a molten fat golem so you gave it an internal temperature, would it be able to freeze or evaporate?

If you use HOMEOTHERM, yes.  If you use a fixed temperature, no.

Is the strange but rare super-slow dwarf bug fixed?

I mean like this jeweler dwarf at one of my forts:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1485-slowestdwarfever

I've encountered this twice in two different forts during the years I've played DF.

It's possible it was fixed by the creature/attribute rewrites, but there's no way to be sure unless someone posts an actual bug report (complete with a save that reproduces the problem).  And even with a report, if it's that rare, it probably doesn't warrant attention for this release.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:23:13 pm by Footkerchief »

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12830 on: February 18, 2010, 08:25:53 pm »

...hm

that gave me a really interesting thought, but what if your doctordwarves could GRAFT different objects/parts onto your dwarves. Lost a leg in a sparring accident? Here's a -peg leg-. Always losing hold of your obsidion shortsword? Lose the hand and attach it to the stump! Dwarves already let pets sit on their heads and shoulders. It would be bonafide PIRATE DWARVES.

But really, having wooden/metal replacements for lost limbs/digits would be incredibly FUN. Especially if you choose to use !!lignite!! materials.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #12831 on: February 18, 2010, 08:30:55 pm »

Imagine if he did actually ask for items.

"This is a brimstone throne. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. The item is encrusted with bronze shortswords, iron low boots and bauxite floodgates."

Imagine a weapon encrusted with weapons, and it menaced with spikes of spears or something.
Or even better: an artifact weapon... encrusted/menacing with artifact weapons.

Exponetial awesome. If that were used as part of an artifact, the world may explode.

Especially if the "infinite resource artifact" bug remains in place.

The Savage Cheese of Angels (weighs 500,000 Dwarftons, worth 16,777,215 Dwarfbux)
This is a Clownium battle axe.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  The item menaces with spikes of Planepacked and is adorned with rings of Broiledprinces.  On the battle axe is an image of Cacame Awemedinade in microcline.  On the battle axe is an image of Morul Cattenmat in orthoclase.  On the battle axe is an image of Captain Ironblood in iron.
Sanity is for the weak.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12832 on: February 18, 2010, 08:33:53 pm »

...hm

that gave me a really interesting thought, but what if your doctordwarves could GRAFT different objects/parts onto your dwarves. Lost a leg in a sparring accident? Here's a -peg leg-. Always losing hold of your obsidion shortsword? Lose the hand and attach it to the stump! Dwarves already let pets sit on their heads and shoulders. It would be bonafide PIRATE DWARVES.

But really, having wooden/metal replacements for lost limbs/digits would be incredibly FUN. Especially if you choose to use !!lignite!! materials.

Yeah, prosthetics are Bloat35.  They're something Toady would like to include, but they aren't going in yet (emphasis mine):

Quote from: Aqizzar
So, regarding crutches.  I wonder if permanently crippled dwarves will get canes, or lamed dwarves get peg legs.

Hopefully!  I don't think I have canes up anywhere, but I have a bloat for prosthestics, so something will happen sometime.  I'm not quite ready to take it on yet.  Splints, casts and crutches (and bandages and sutures if those items are maintained after application) will be a stepping stone toward other add-ons.

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12833 on: February 18, 2010, 10:29:48 pm »

Is the strange but rare super-slow dwarf bug fixed?

I mean like this jeweler dwarf at one of my forts:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1485-slowestdwarfever

I've encountered this twice in two different forts during the years I've played DF.
Did you check his inventory? Maybe he has a bunch of really heavy stuff he's carrying around.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12834 on: February 18, 2010, 11:11:32 pm »

Infinite resource artifacts arn't bad as long as they represent a bonus rather then an overwhemling advantages.

A Bucket that creates Iron for example shouldn't be capable of replacing the iron industry.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12835 on: February 18, 2010, 11:25:40 pm »

Infinite resource artifacts arn't bad as long as they represent a bonus rather then an overwhemling advantages.

A Bucket that creates Iron for example shouldn't be capable of replacing the iron industry.

If you read his post, he just means things like Planepacked, made out of a huge number of materials.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12836 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:56 pm »

So, are named weapons going to be tracked in the history? So you can look in the legends and find a sword that some great hero used and then trace the sword's usage through history or even go and get it yourself.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12837 on: February 18, 2010, 11:51:59 pm »

Speaking of named weapons and artifacts, I'll be quite happy if named weapons are eventually able to grow to artifact status. I mean, if you rid the world of giants by a single sword, I'd expect it to be more powerful than a random hammer that a dwarf made when feeling inspired.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12838 on: February 19, 2010, 12:11:35 am »

Speaking of named weapons and artifacts, I'll be quite happy if named weapons are eventually able to grow to artifact status. I mean, if you rid the world of giants by a single sword, I'd expect it to be more powerful than a random hammer that a dwarf made when feeling inspired.
I agree with this idea wholeheartedly.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12839 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:39 am »

I'd like something to be causing its power increase beyond excessive use, myself; like divine or supernatural attention brought on by its legends, not sheer mass slaughter.  I definitely think that seeing it should inspire fear in giants and courage in dwarves, but it would be nice to have a weapon of legends that's impressive because of its legends, not its actual wholly mundane construction.  Cutting that possibility off by having only legends power up the weapon makes no in-game sense and eliminates a potential story element.

It's kind of like how we currently can't have a weak old legendary weaponsmith currently - the attribute system gives lots of power to dwarves sometimes when it doesn't make sense.  Same basic problem.
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 1065