Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3527988 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12840 on: February 19, 2010, 12:49:12 am »

Speaking of named weapons and artifacts, I'll be quite happy if named weapons are eventually able to grow to artifact status. I mean, if you rid the world of giants by a single sword, I'd expect it to be more powerful than a random hammer that a dwarf made when feeling inspired.

I think it would be as dull as a board...
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12841 on: February 19, 2010, 12:54:34 am »

So, are named weapons going to be tracked in the history? So you can look in the legends and find a sword that some great hero used and then trace the sword's usage through history or even go and get it yourself.

This would be awesome, and bring me to go into adventure mode for more than just the killing of my war dragon I made...

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12842 on: February 19, 2010, 01:23:54 am »

IIRC the Chinese DID use paper armor against arrows, where the cunning folds trapped them.

while i don't have a huge amount of information on the creation of paper armor, the time period that it was used leads me to believe that it was laminated sheets of paper.  a modern equivalent would be lacquer mixed with penetrating resin, painted on each sheet of paper until you get a ~3 inch thick brick, set on a mold and worked on before the lacquer/resin dries.  something similar was done to linen back then in eastern europe.  definitely not something to sneeze at, neither would padded cloth made of silk either.  rattan was also used as armor, which was made popular with the stories in romance of the three kingdoms.  since rattan is a grass, one could say that armor was made from grass as well, of course anyone that knows rattan knows that when one thinks of grass they don't think of rattan at all.  the amazing thing is how advanced armor design was way back before writing, most people scoff at such things or believe in 'magical' methods, the truth is pretty wondrous already.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12843 on: February 19, 2010, 03:38:15 am »

Question: How many frames are a single dwarf fortress day?

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12844 on: February 19, 2010, 03:41:55 am »

It would be bonafide PIRATE DWARVES.

That would be great! They could go with the ninja dwarves already included in the game.

(no, I can't see them either. They're NINJAS.)

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #12845 on: February 19, 2010, 04:11:32 am »

Humans stopped using wood at some point in there and were paranoid about building their homes on top of cavern features far below the surface

So Zev, heard you are building a new house!

Yep

Gonna build down past the old Zulban place?

Hell no!  That ground is haunted.  Creepy.  Ancient burial ground or something.

So Zev, whatcha building your house of?

Skulls

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12846 on: February 19, 2010, 05:42:49 am »

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

wuahhhhh

come on...let us beta test this thing toady :)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12847 on: February 19, 2010, 05:49:36 am »

Is the strange but rare super-slow dwarf bug fixed?

I mean like this jeweler dwarf at one of my forts:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1485-slowestdwarfever

I've encountered this twice in two different forts during the years I've played DF.
Did you check his inventory? Maybe he has a bunch of really heavy stuff he's carrying around.

Nope, I remember he had normal clothing.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12848 on: February 19, 2010, 05:56:24 am »

wuahhhhh

come on...let us beta test this thing toady :)

If you've played DF at all you're already a beta tester.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12849 on: February 19, 2010, 06:09:22 am »

Wrong. Alpha-tester. DF will be in beta when it reaches 1.0. Then it'll gradually approach completeness, but since DF is DF... let's just say Duke Nukem Forever will come out before DF becomes "feature-complete".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #12850 on: February 19, 2010, 06:10:16 am »

Is the strange but rare super-slow dwarf bug fixed?

I mean like this jeweler dwarf at one of my forts:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1485-slowestdwarfever

I've encountered this twice in two different forts during the years I've played DF.
Did you check his inventory? Maybe he has a bunch of really heavy stuff he's carrying around.

Nope, I remember he had normal clothing.
Any leather items? Check their weights.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Xveers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12851 on: February 19, 2010, 06:10:59 am »

Wrong. Alpha-tester. DF will be in beta when it reaches 1.0. Then it'll gradually approach completeness, but since DF is DF... let's just say Duke Nukem Forever will come out before DF becomes "feature-complete".

And yet even now, the alpha of DF has more features then Duke Nukem (waiting) forever...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12852 on: February 19, 2010, 06:20:18 am »

Duke Nukem Forever was already cancelled, didn't you hear?

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12853 on: February 19, 2010, 06:25:09 am »

Pfffft. The equation used to determine the completeness of DF has no solution - "Complete" is an asymptote.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12854 on: February 19, 2010, 06:41:21 am »

Infinite resource artifacts arn't bad as long as they represent a bonus rather then an overwhemling advantages.

A Bucket that creates Iron for example shouldn't be capable of replacing the iron industry.

There already exists a 'bucket' that creates Iron in the game. Handily it also creates skulls & bones & a load of Finished Goods you can use for export. You sometimes get the odd bag or quiver from it too.

Keeping the thread on track, does anyone know if we'll be able to designate wood items (e.g weapons & armour you've been "donated" by elves) for turning into ash/charcoal? Same for clothing, will we be able to designate clothes to have a Weaver or Clothesmaker unpick the stitching & turn them back into stacks of cloth in the same manner you can melt designate metal items for a furnace operator to turn into metal bars at the smelter?
Will we get a clothing stockpile with usable/unusable toggles (or clothing added to the armour stockpiles) so we can manage it better & not have it lumped with "Finished Goods"? Personally I'd find a simple solution would be moving clothing to the armour stockpiles as long as there was a way to differentiate between clothes & armour made of the same material types (leather is the example which comes to mind but there's probably others I haven't thought about).
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1065