Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3527964 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12855 on: February 19, 2010, 06:47:17 am »

While I can see the use of burning wood weapons (and furniture, sometimes), I just don't see clothes being reusable in this manner. I think the most you can hope for is using them as rags for wound bandaging purposes.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: February 19, 2010, 06:55:50 am »

I don't think any of those have been mentioned to be in the next version, though I could be wrong.
While I can see the use of burning wood weapons (and furniture, sometimes), I just don't see clothes being reusable in this manner. I think the most you can hope for is using them as rags for wound bandaging purposes.
Or rags as clothing for poor dwarfs? Just hoping they wouldn't get a bad thought because as it is now they'd get bad thoughts for both getting them and having them fall apart... Instead of just the 2nd bad thought... once.
;D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12857 on: February 19, 2010, 07:30:26 am »

On the contrary, I seem to recall some mention of using clothing for bandages in the next version, though with my memory being what it is, I could've just made that up on the spot.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: February 19, 2010, 07:33:52 am »

Any leather items? Check their weights.

Can't do that anymore, he was in a fort I had a year ago. I haven't had the save in months. The previous occasion it happened was in another fort, one of the first seven dwarves, in the "play now" set-up, and it was a jeweller once again.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #12859 on: February 19, 2010, 10:03:56 am »

I'd imagine ~5 clothing items to be enough to produce at least ashes. Even if charcoal might be out of question, clothing could make decent fuel for bonfires/fireplaces and related workshops (kitchen, still).

Also, torches are basically made of rags on stick soaked with fat, no?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #12860 on: February 19, 2010, 10:11:25 am »

I have been told that there are 1200 steps (frames) in a day.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12861 on: February 19, 2010, 11:18:59 am »

Any leather items? Check their weights.

Can't do that anymore, he was in a fort I had a year ago. I haven't had the save in months. The previous occasion it happened was in another fort, one of the first seven dwarves, in the "play now" set-up, and it was a jeweller once again.

I would bet money that it was because he had no strength stat and was carrying something moderately heavy as was previously suggested by others.  It happens all the time to me when I redistribute my stockpiles and see dwarfs carrying bins full of metal bars(or other heavy stuffs) across the room.  They move REALLY slowly but get there eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12862 on: February 19, 2010, 11:38:25 am »

Infinite resource artifacts arn't bad as long as they represent a bonus rather then an overwhemling advantages.

A Bucket that creates Iron for example shouldn't be capable of replacing the iron industry.

There already exists a 'bucket' that creates Iron in the game. Handily it also creates skulls & bones & a load of Finished Goods you can use for export. You sometimes get the odd bag or quiver from it too.

For a second I thought 'what are you talking about?' but then realized you were talking about goblins

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12863 on: February 19, 2010, 12:58:43 pm »

Not greened, figured someone already knows.

-Has any work been done this release on allowing more information to be exported out of legends mode?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12864 on: February 19, 2010, 01:01:02 pm »

I would bet money that it was because he had no strength stat and was carrying something moderately heavy as was previously suggested by others.  It happens all the time to me when I redistribute my stockpiles and see dwarfs carrying bins full of metal bars(or other heavy stuffs) across the room.  They move REALLY slowly but get there eventually.

Yeah but he was slow from the moment he arrived as a migrant. He almost starved on the way to the fort from the map edge. Can dwarves bring such heavy stuff with them?
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12865 on: February 19, 2010, 01:03:06 pm »

Not greened, figured someone already knows.

-Has any work been done this release on allowing more information to be exported out of legends mode?

One of the items in Toady's big list of of requests is exporting legends to XML.  It'll go in if he has time for it, which is increasingly unlikely.

Yeah but he was slow from the moment he arrived as a migrant. He almost starved on the way to the fort from the map edge. Can dwarves bring such heavy stuff with them?

Yes, especially leather clothing from improperly modded creatures.  You probably had some mods that you forgot about or something.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #12866 on: February 19, 2010, 01:08:08 pm »

Yes, especially leather clothing from improperly modded creatures.  You probably had some mods that you forgot about or something.

Is this the same thing that occasionally makes caravans move and unload extremely slowly?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12867 on: February 19, 2010, 01:42:14 pm »

Is this the same thing that occasionally makes caravans move and unload extremely slowly?

It doesn't seem to be directly related.  Someone in Bug Reports found that the bug with slow wagons seems to be linked to the lack of a SPEED tag (for dwarves, not wagons).

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12868 on: February 19, 2010, 01:54:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was a fresh vanilla install.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12869 on: February 19, 2010, 02:03:12 pm »

Well, like I said, without a save (or at least much more specific information) there's nothing that can be done.
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1065