Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3522590 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13005 on: February 23, 2010, 09:52:39 am »

Sorry if I have not read all the posts of this thread :) but perhaps some of you know if/when a feature dear to my heart will be done:

when can we mod the objects so that they are not using letters/ASCII characters, example the pillar is reusing the O, the armor & clothes all use the [,  etc. basically, have the same system as creatures, but for objects. We would then identify a plate mail from a silk shirt visually ;)   (and yes I'm into that...).

This would go a long way for a needed graphic overhaul. I know that for many of you, graphic don't matters but otoh, many I guess would like to see a visual difference between base objects.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:44 am »

I recall Toady mentioning something about that in one of the DFTalks awhile back, or possibly in this thread.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:28 am »

Something that occured to me the other day. 

How many castes can a given creature have, and how rare can a caste be? Could I, for example, mod humans so that they have a 997/1000 chance to be normal, 1/1000 chance to hoot webs, 1/1000 chance to have really strong bones and claws, 1/1000 chance to fly and shoot lightning?

I think Toady said that there is a limit of 1,000 or maybe 10,000 castes, which is plenty of room. For the rarity though, no idea
You can set a caste to have an absurdly low rate of appearance.  I think white panthers are one-in-a-thousand in the next version, so everything you said there is doable. With rates that low, however, it's entirely possible that you'll generate a world without any of a given caste, especially if your culling unimportant historical figures.

This is giving me an idea. Is [POWER] a caste level tag? Does that mean I could give all the races an "evil overlord" caste that would take over civs that respect [ANY_SUITABLE_POWER]?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: February 23, 2010, 10:44:56 am »

I asked that exact same question about 100 pages back. The answer is yep  :D  :D  :D
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: February 23, 2010, 12:29:38 pm »

I asked that exact same question about 100 pages back. The answer is yep  :D  :D  :D

About what I ask or something else? I hope it is about my question?  ;D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13010 on: February 23, 2010, 12:31:06 pm »

Something that occured to me the other day. 

How many castes can a given creature have, and how rare can a caste be? Could I, for example, mod humans so that they have a 997/1000 chance to be normal, 1/1000 chance to hoot webs, 1/1000 chance to have really strong bones and claws, 1/1000 chance to fly and shoot lightning?

I think Toady said that there is a limit of 1,000 or maybe 10,000 castes, which is plenty of room. For the rarity though, no idea
You can set a caste to have an absurdly low rate of appearance.  I think white panthers are one-in-a-thousand in the next version, so everything you said there is doable. With rates that low, however, it's entirely possible that you'll generate a world without any of a given caste, especially if your culling unimportant historical figures.

That sounds about right for an inherited trait such as albinism.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: February 23, 2010, 12:42:33 pm »

it was yours, for me it was only a couple of pages or so.

thinking on the rarity thing, is it a flat chance or is it based on forming from a given chance?  an example would be something that had a 1/100 chance to appear (caste B) from caste A, but a 1/3 chance to appear from caste B (it own caste).  or what about caste B spawning a caste C at a rate of 1/3 instead, but never from caste A?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:47:40 pm by jamoecw »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: February 23, 2010, 02:13:41 pm »

I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but can certain castes break away to form civs?
I wondered about this only because I envisaged a rare caste of intelligent trolls to form a cave society.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: February 23, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »

That wouldn't make any sense, I don't think, because they'd still give birth to non-intelligent trolls.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13014 on: February 23, 2010, 02:39:00 pm »

wait.. the entity raws are still using the [ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] system? I thought that had been made obsolete due to the new megabeasts being capable of conquering societies.

I wonder if we could get a rundown of the new entity raws... an example, perhaps?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: February 23, 2010, 02:43:01 pm »

wait.. the entity raws are still using the [ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] system? I thought that had been made obsolete due to the new megabeasts being capable of conquering societies.
Any power becomes appropriate if there is enough of it.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13016 on: February 23, 2010, 02:49:34 pm »

Any power becomes appropriate if there is enough of it.

yeah.. but can you just tag creatures with [POWER] in their raws or do they have to build it during world-gen?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: February 23, 2010, 03:04:32 pm »

I wonder if we could get a rundown of the new entity raws... an example, perhaps?

Depends on what you mean. If you mean entity as in various creatures, theres several already, if you mean the entity_default raw file or equivalent (the name may have changed and there could be more than one in the new release), then yea that would be cool. The nobles stuff that was posted earlier may have been from the entity raw or a different file, not sure.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: February 23, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »

At what version, if any, will multi tiles monsters come into play? Like wagons but bosses where each part is different.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: February 23, 2010, 04:57:51 pm »

color of the remaining items

Considering the stuff that was written down in the "remaining tests" section when I got done with the other parts higher up, that section has had some things finished.  But overall, subsequent work by testers has made the issue list grow larger than it was originally.  Then again, there are fewer crashes and major issues than there were when I started this phase.  And on top of that, I'm not sure what else will be found.  At this point, it's just difficult to estimate where things are.  All I can do is keep fixing things.  The color of the remaining tests item may never change, but it doesn't mean I'm not making progress.  I'd probably have a release date if I knew what color it should be.

The color of the remaining tests item may never change, but it doesn't mean I'm not making progress.  I'd probably have a release date if I knew what color it should be.

color of the remaining tests item may never change

color may never change

Don't tell me this means that this has become Dwarf Fortress Forever Toady. Hahahahahahaha!

Joking aside though, it sounds like based on the information I've gathered over the month, I'm certain now that this bug testing will likely be covered by Zach and Toady's "old hands". Which probably means that everything I said in my perdicition is completely off. In fact, we'd be lucky if a color change occurs before March 14th. And from what I looked at on past info, when Toady did have the people here be sort of like bug testers (since he use to release via schedule unlike now where he's working without a deadline). It took him about 2-3 months to work out all the bugs as he kept updated the version roughly every month.

So at this rate, we may be hanging in there for roughly that long (if not longer) just to see it nearly ready to be playable. So yeah...it sounds like it maybe more of a Spring release now, summer at the latest. (no more date estimations from me... I lost my shot at it.)

(I think I should just go back to modding Suika Fortress and work on that while I wait for the new version cause the way things sound it's going to be a pretty good while before we see any form of change of any kind...)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:00:43 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1065