Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3524573 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1425 on: April 04, 2009, 01:18:37 pm »

I can't wait to discover a bug where upon arriving at a site you see an entire mountain collapse into the misplaced megachasm.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: April 04, 2009, 01:52:44 pm »

Toady, what are your thoughts in regards to underground critters breaching into forts and the like?

Right now stone walls are basically invincible to everything thrown at them. The idea of an army of ants or maggots or whatever suddenly burrowing through the walls is not only awesome, but serves a good way to keep a player on their toes. However, this also has ramifications such as ruining fort designs.

I'm curious if these are things you're thinking about or if they'll come up at a later time.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: April 04, 2009, 02:09:30 pm »

Some games actually treat sections of wall as damageable objects. I don't know how that would work from the way DF code is organized, but having "mining" work by actually damaging the wall (as a first step) would bring us that much closer to creatures that are able to tear down solid rock walls if they want to enter the fortress. If I understand right, mining already does this to an extent - if something like this is implemented with regards to material strength versus piercing and blunt damage, it could work very well. Even for adventurers - since there would be no need for a special "mining" skill, you just force-attack continuously in the direction of the wall, until the wall goes down.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: April 04, 2009, 02:57:27 pm »

Even for adventurers - since there would be no need for a special "mining" skill, you just force-attack continuously in the direction of the wall, until the wall goes down.

I bet I'm not the only one thinking of Isengard and Ents.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: April 04, 2009, 04:34:02 pm »

I guess that might as well be up to world generation, anyway.

Hmm. I wonder if strictly underground civs might become possible, that you can only trade with once you breach a large world spanning underground feature to reach them. Same with underground-only megabeasts and hostile civs.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: April 04, 2009, 04:35:50 pm »

Even for adventurers - since there would be no need for a special "mining" skill, you just force-attack continuously in the direction of the wall, until the wall goes down.

I bet I'm not the only one thinking of Isengard and Ents.
Yes. That, and Catapults, trolls, and battering rams. And fellbeasts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: April 04, 2009, 05:17:20 pm »

since there would be no need for a special "mining" skill, you just force-attack continuously in the direction of the wall, until the wall goes down

Mining skill would be needed for Adventurers to dig without losing their soul... Err... I mean... to dig while still obtaining rocks, ores, and gems they can use.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: April 04, 2009, 05:22:58 pm »

I can't wait for the threads in which people post about how they 'mined through all the houses in the city, and then I made a track of wood and coal and lighted a fire.'
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: April 04, 2009, 05:39:45 pm »

I can't wait for the threads in which people post about how they 'mined through all the houses in the city, and then I made a track of wood and coal and lighted a fire.'

Constructions can't be mined through. Destroyed and deconstructed perhaps but not mined.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: April 04, 2009, 06:20:07 pm »

Constructions can't be mined through. Destroyed and deconstructed perhaps but not mined.

Silly, just because something is, doesn't mean it will always be...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: April 04, 2009, 06:28:34 pm »

I wonder how that deepunderground(-semi-)civs will interact with their
suroundings in terms of building.

Multilevelcaves with walkways and ropelader and ropebridges between caves.

Stuff similiar to the collapsing human town on the ocean could happen if they "dig caves". Will a underground civ have ranged weapons?

Whatever will happen so far the entire thing sounds very exciting.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: April 05, 2009, 12:03:04 am »

Silly, just because something is, doesn't mean it will always be...

It is more that, it isn't in essence Mining.

Well that and by making it so it isn't mining Toady can allow people to react properly to... lets say... You digging up their floors and collapsing their roofs.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: April 05, 2009, 06:57:04 am »

04/03/2009
"Some people asked what I meant by "creature interactions" last time. I meant anything the current outside and inside wilderness populations are used for -- hunting, things for wandering dwarves to bump into, more concerted attacks on the fortress (which are currently scheduled but don't often work due to the nature of the features -- you might remember them from 2D), and other intruders (you might also remember this sort of thing from 2D). It's unclear to what extent the more civilized underground dwellers will remain in their populations or how much they'll be elevated into entity status. If they have items they'll probably need to be pulled up entirely to make things work smoothly, so that wouldn't fit in the same framework."

Thanks for clearing it up, Toady!  8)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: April 05, 2009, 04:43:47 pm »

Will creatures be able to "give" disease?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: April 05, 2009, 04:57:29 pm »

Will creatures be able to "give" disease?

They can sicken individuals with poisons, but contagious/communicable diseases have been put off for the time being.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1065