Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3504824 times)

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15960 on: March 31, 2010, 10:21:32 pm »

The anticipation is KILLING ME!
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Cariyaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15961 on: March 31, 2010, 10:51:38 pm »

If the anticipation needs help, I'm available... >:D

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15962 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:35 pm »

So, anyone want to place bets on where the first new bugs will arise? I'm guessing it'll be in the noble/appointment system.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15963 on: March 31, 2010, 11:23:54 pm »

So, anyone want to place bets on where the first new bugs will arise? I'm guessing it'll be in the noble/appointment system.
Military scheduling.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15964 on: March 31, 2010, 11:33:18 pm »

Nah, anything new will have been bugtested to death. I'm thinking it's gonna be something subtle like a mix up with the new body plans turns rhesus macaques into furry ninja capable of eliminating even an admantine clad all-legendary champion.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15965 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:58 pm »

I that happens, I'm keeping it. Monkey ninjas are simply too awesome to be a bug.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15966 on: April 01, 2010, 12:04:06 am »

Temperature
Thank you based dwarf.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #15967 on: April 01, 2010, 12:08:04 am »

I that happens, I'm keeping it. Monkey ninjas are simply too awesome to be a bug.

In my current soap fort, macaques are size 30, damblock 8, and I multiplied the cluster size by 10. It's best not to go outside during monkey season.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15968 on: April 01, 2010, 02:34:25 am »

Well, there really is no "first" bug. They all arrive in the same version. I'm thinking there will be some sort of unforeseen interaction involving mechanics.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Jachra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15969 on: April 01, 2010, 02:46:39 am »

Well, there really is no "first" bug. They all arrive in the same version. I'm thinking there will be some sort of unforeseen interaction involving mechanics.
Without exaggerating much, I think that we can safely say that that is a large part of the very definition of a bug.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15970 on: April 01, 2010, 02:48:14 am »

7 + 2 = 9

Can't wait.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #15971 on: April 01, 2010, 03:43:49 am »

I don't want to get confused, so I'll reply to the questions that I haven't answered in here, but please direct your comments up to the new release thread, and throughout the board!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #15972 on: May 01, 2010, 05:18:04 am »

Below I've answered a few questions that haven't become more evident now that the release has been out for a bit.  And now it's time to let this thread drift down off the front page.

Quote from: Reese
Toady, is it possible we might see insurance or mutual aid societies in the future, where dwarfs can get together and help each other pay for expensive things (like, say better off family members allowing their poorer relatives to use their accounts or a group of farmers pooling their money to help pay the medical costs of an injured farmer)

The first step for that kind of thing would be having more subgroups in the fortress, which is definitely going to happen.  It should make the game more interesting.  After that, it'll really depend on how the subgroups work.  The largest groups like civilizations don't even do projects outside of world gen, and even then they don't involve any kind of resource pooling.  As that stuff is handled, whatever subgroups that go in might see some automatic benefits, but it'll depend on how it works.

Quote from: Emi
Toady, is it possible that you could start giving major versions (versions that are likely to break compatibility or where the game mechanics change significantly) non-version number names (think Ubuntu's name system) so that we can have an easy way of referring to versions that doesn't risk confusion (like "40d" might)? This would definitely help out on the wiki where we're trying to figure out how to deal with keeping data for different versions. And I'm sure it would help out with mods and utilities to have a nice way to state version aside from the numbers themselves.

He he he, the fewer nineteen or whatever month waits we have the better, so I don't really want to institutionalize this.  I also feel kind of weird about the names in general, but I guess some people don't like numbers either, especially since 0.31 is "less" than 40d...  I still feel weird about names though, like, when to have a new name or whether people want to name the game after animals or something.

Quote from: PsyberianHusky
Is having a world surrounded by magma ever going to be an option ?

Ha ha ha, I guess that would be the first replacement for an ocean since we already have magma as the only other fluid, but it would take a bit of work to get water out of there so it's not a high priority.

Quote from: James.Denholm
Will we see odd "partnerships" beyond the concept of non-hetrosexuality? Different species interacting?
Quote from: Askot Bokbondeler
or even gods(true or false) that mate with mortals, fathering potential semi-divine heroes
Quote from: smjjames
or even monsters anywhere between semi-megabeasts to super-megabeasts like the most horrible and powerful titans/forgotten beasts that the RNG can spit out.

Like half-elves and stuff?  We had a half-dwarf in a Threetoe story -- that kind of interbreeding seems like a traditional option.  It has the same issues as polymorphing and all that.  It needs to understand how to mix the creature definitions together, which is a project.  Demigods and minotaur-product type matings are also popular and involve the same issues if the baby isn't just a copy of the god's "race" or mortal parent's race.  I imagine once we've got some creature blenders together than can mix and match and average etc., it'll open some doors.

Quote from: bombcar
Are the medical skills moodable? If not, why not? Provide examples.

Ha ha, no.  I'm not sure what a legendary crutch walker would do as a mood.  The surgeons and bone setters and suturers might work with the fell mood or the macabre mood.  It would certainly make them more creepy.  We'd obviously need electricity before they can make anything alive out of dead stuff, though I guess you don't need electricity to make living stuff out of stuff that's already alive, or something.

Quote from: G-Flex
Toady, do you have any plans for eventually differentatiating the different edible/non-edible organs and tissues that we're going to get out of butchery (e.g. more non-food uses, scraps for animals, cultural views regarding eating or not eating certain parts, creature distaste for some parts, etc.)?

Aside from putting them in the game for...  flavor, I didn't plan out anything specifically.  I'm sure it'll come up though.  Guts are fun.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065]