Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3523825 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2280 on: June 03, 2009, 02:16:12 am »

That isn't exactly why.

His updates are becoming sparse in all forms, he has gotten ill lately, and he has extended his work time. There is more but it isn't really an arguement so much as intuition.

There is just some sort of air of lifelessness.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:19:00 am by Neonivek »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: June 03, 2009, 02:47:43 am »

Well, we all need a real vacation, now and then. I wonder when was the last time Toady took one?
For they would be your masters.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: June 03, 2009, 03:21:47 am »

Tell ya what needs to be done, I will - Toady needs to release the source code and say "Have at ye scumbags! I'm pissin off to the barmudas for 6 months!"

:P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: June 03, 2009, 04:07:28 am »

Tell ya what needs to be done, I will - Toady needs to release the source code and say "Have at ye scumbags! I'm pissin off to the barmudas for 6 months!"

There are just soo many things wrong with this I don't know where to start except to mention that the closest thing Toady is likely to get to barmuda is shorts.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: June 03, 2009, 06:47:01 am »

Right now I am actually starting to get concerned that Toady actually may be burning out.

Nah, I don't think so. Just keep in mind, this is probably the "biggest release" so far.  ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: June 03, 2009, 06:59:17 am »

Right now I am actually starting to get concerned that Toady actually may be burning out.

Nah, I don't think so. Just keep in mind, this is probably the "biggest release" so far.  ;)

Longest not Biggest.

But it is something that had to be done.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: June 03, 2009, 07:43:17 am »

Gonna have to agree with Neonivek on this one. I've been trying to keep up my DF blog again recently and it's been very difficult to maintain given the past month or two. Devnote updates are spread out farther and contain a lot less information. I always make a habit of checking Toady's posting history when I log onto the forums to see if there's any new news here...and there hasn't been much at all there either.

In the last week and a half we've seen 3 dev note updates, 1 of which was simply announcing a new story and the fact d12 should be coming out by the end of the month, which, as it is now June 3rd, never happened.

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom, but it very much feels like Toady is either not feelin' so hot or maybe, indeed, getting burned out.

Or maybe I vastly underestimate the work he's been doing.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: June 03, 2009, 07:46:51 am »

I am under the impression that he is just working on stuff that isn't worth talking about in an update, or working on hidden fun stuff that he doesn't want to spoil.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:29 am »

I am under the impression that he is just working on stuff that isn't worth talking about in an update, or working on hidden fun stuff that he doesn't want to spoil.

Which is a mistake, as I believe most people in this here forum would gleefully hang on to every word Toady has to say about DF. I've never donated to Toady my self, so I'm not one to qualify this statement but I would think most people would be more inclined to donate if they had more reason to. So it makes business sense, if nothing else, to re-evaluate how verbose he is with his dev notes and how often he should release content.

Games like this that create a business model around themselves (abiet volentary) could be most directly related to the MMO model where you pay a monthly bill and in return you get continued service in the form of new content. Personally, I wouldn't be overly willing to offer any of my money to a service that releases content so far apart and barely even gives enough information between to suck on while I wait.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: June 03, 2009, 08:21:23 am »

The latest Devnote just owned my ass, by the way. Good show, Toady

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: June 03, 2009, 08:22:48 am »

Devnote.... wow.... just wow...

Can't wait for the new release now... just because making a mssive military will now be awesome!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2291 on: June 03, 2009, 08:39:08 am »

That extended writeup in the dev log this morning on the new squad system is absolutely delicious. I've never been a huge militarist when I play Dwarf Fortress, but that might change...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: June 03, 2009, 09:08:24 am »

Devnote...yes!  Now I have hope that not all my recruits will suffer horrid spinal injuries.  Thanks Toady!  :D
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: June 03, 2009, 09:35:29 am »

Urist McWhinger cancels moan: pwned by Toad

Unlike some, the squad stuff is what I've been really really looking forward to (because I love my dwarf military) and today's devnote almost made me weep with happiness.  So I'm in the opposite sitation to some, having had to sit through months of stuff about underground features, which (although very cool) isn't what I really wanted, and now we've got to the bit I want!

If Toady released now, he'd have to spend ages debugging it to get it release ready, and then fixing the inevitable post-release bugs - all of the time this would be pushing the squad stuff further into the future.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: June 03, 2009, 09:39:42 am »

Horray!  Now I might have a reason to not make my entire military out of 1 dwarf squads, and won't accidentally have the same poor unfortunate souls patrolling the walls for 10 years straight before I remember they are there!

The only 1 champion to a fort thing is a good idea too.  Kinda removes the point of a champion when every member of your military is one.  It also had the annoying side effect of forgetting what weapon a particular champion is using just because you forgot to rename their profession after becoming a champ.

I think he may have meant the D12 thing to be the end of THIS month, not the last month (as I believe he mentioned it on the 31st) but I can't be certain.

EDIT:First time in quite awhile this thread was active enough for a reply to be posted while typing.  I'm also a big user of the military, and all this fills me with childlike glee.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:41:55 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 1065