Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3523935 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2310 on: June 03, 2009, 03:14:41 pm »

I am real excited about the military aspects now, and I know it will be awesome to the Nth degree.

A quick question, will there be changes to the fortress and royal guard?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: June 03, 2009, 04:05:39 pm »

Q: Is there something planned on making it possible for each soldier to carry more then a single weapon (with limitations of course), as in, giving a dwarf a crossbow for long range combat and switch to a short sword in close combat?

Not something i consider absolutely necessary, but i'm curious.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: June 03, 2009, 04:18:22 pm »

How about having some of the squad options (formations etc.) not be available until you've managed to get a "military noble" of some sort to move to your fort or until you have a very skilled military dwarf you can appoint to some sort of military position? That would add a nice challenge/reward dynamic. And it would change the way the game is played from early, simple disorganised barbaric combat to more intricate strategies later on creating more varied gameplay.

Not saying you shouldn't discuss it here, but there's a very current Suggestions thread about formations in which that idea would probably get more attention.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: June 03, 2009, 04:29:48 pm »

Let no one accuse me of being ungrateful.  Toady, I appreciate every part of development cycle, and as someone with a slight understanding of code and biology, your existence as a full-time, donation supported coded still amazes me, and I look forward to every element of this development cycle.  I just don't get sometimes why so many disparate features need to be bundled together, but whatever, your pace is your pace.

I wonder how many real haters there are lurking around.  There is no such thing as an unnecessary feature.  Anyone who doesn't get why the material and body update is awesome doesn't get anything.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: June 03, 2009, 04:39:08 pm »

Let no one accuse me of being ungrateful.  Toady, I appreciate every part of development cycle, and as someone with a slight understanding of code and biology, your existence as a full-time, donation supported coded still amazes me, and I look forward to every element of this development cycle.  I just don't get sometimes why so many disparate features need to be bundled together, but whatever, your pace is your pace.

I wonder how many real haters there are lurking around.  There is no such thing as an unnecessary feature.  Anyone who doesn't get why the material and body update is awesome doesn't get anything.

This. This this this.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: June 03, 2009, 04:39:38 pm »

I know that whenever I feel bitter about what's being developed it's because he hasn't updated on anything cool in a while and is instead talking about beard hair or something like that. It makes me feel like time is being squandered on useless cosmetic features (I don't care about dwarf personalities/descriptions) which could be spent on making awesome stuff, like the squad stuff Toady just outlined.

I get over it eventually, but it does irk me when I feel like the next update will be months off and it helps to have a scapegoat in the useless features. And that's all I really hate.

EDIT: It should be noted that one of my pet peeves from whenever I started playing Dwarf Fortress way back in 2D was that soldiers would run off to go eat and sleep in the middle of sieges, so you'd expect your men to be holding the gates and they'd all be off in the storerooms watching their captain eat.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:43:38 pm by Brendan »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: June 03, 2009, 04:49:00 pm »

I just don't get sometimes why so many disparate features need to be bundled together, but whatever, your pace is your pace.
This. This this this.

This was already addressed pretty directly, I think.  Here are the most salient parts:

In general, yeah, I'm not happy with how long the release is taking, though I'm not going to be too critical of myself since it's hard to see how these things are going to work out sometimes. 

[...]

I'm not going to acknowledge the absolute exclusivity of the groups of changes for this release, but I do acknowledge that it definitely could have come in more than one giant section, but I think more than two or three parts would have had led to some heavy downsides caused by some very, very dry longish-wait releases.

[...]

In any case, we're well along now, and all I can do is try to be a little more careful with my scheduling for future releases.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: June 03, 2009, 06:39:39 pm »

Even if its hard to say please dont remove the injurys on training. I know now, by my own experience, how that can happen and how you can get spine and face-injurys ...... ouch.....
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: June 03, 2009, 06:48:24 pm »

OH MAN

I just read the devlog

BEST LOG UPDATE EVER

I am so excited.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: June 03, 2009, 07:03:53 pm »

YES!!! FACKING YES!!! NO MORE FRIGGIN CHAMPIONS!!

But besides that I do love how everything sounds. Next release = Nirvana + cocaine + pepsi.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: June 03, 2009, 07:58:14 pm »

I know that whenever I feel bitter about what's being developed it's because he hasn't updated on anything cool in a while and is instead talking about beard hair or something like that. It makes me feel like time is being squandered on useless cosmetic features (I don't care about dwarf personalities/descriptions) which could be spent on making awesome stuff, like the squad stuff Toady just outlined.

If you think the new body/material systems are "cosmetic" or that things like creature personality have no bearing/will have no bearing on the game, I can say with a great amount of certainty that you know very little about this game's development, either recent or planned for the future.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: June 03, 2009, 08:18:55 pm »

Yummy! This is the part of this dev cycle I've been drooling over.

Silveron admires an artifact wall of text. It is decorated with hanging rings of duty cycles and menaces with speardwarves in various combat formations.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: June 03, 2009, 08:42:39 pm »

If you think the new body/material systems are "cosmetic" or that things like creature personality have no bearing/will have no bearing on the game, I can say with a great amount of certainty that you know very little about this game's development, either recent or planned for the future.

You can but you probably shouldn't, at least not without pointing him towards some evidence so that he can better himself instead of just feeling sad about how mean you are.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: June 03, 2009, 09:02:23 pm »

This is going to be good.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: June 03, 2009, 09:22:35 pm »

This is going to be good.

I like the idea of appointed champions, and being symbols of Dwarven valor. I like what he's doing with nobles in general, actually. I have a feeling that he'll not only add armok as a religion, but add the trickster fellow, and others to add a selective flavor. It would really be cool to gain bonuses and penalties based on what minor god you chose to worship for the blood god.

I am almost giddy for the next release, and sighing for the final release, which will blow my mind but it too far away to see its' majesty.

EDIT: I think it would be even cooler to sometimes customize engravings in the sense of not changing them, but ordering the engravings to be in gold or mica or whatever. I just think it could add flavor, and value to the fortress. AGH, I'M BECOMING TOADY
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:25:16 pm by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1065