Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3530127 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3210 on: July 25, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »

Quote from: smjjames
On that note, are we going to have to make some sort of dummy in order for this to work?

Nah, right now I'm holding off on dummies, since I don't know enough about what was actually used.  Demonstrations just occur standing in front of people, even for things where it makes little sense like wrestling.  I could make it more involved later, but it's not crucial.  The instructor can still spar with people to learn em faster, and there are also the individual drills, where you have your equipment but don't hit anybody with it.  Those might use dummies later on, but you can currently consider them doing training routines or practicing swings in the air, which are both legitimate enough.

I see. Also, I get what you are saying here, I can easily imagine them doing it like a weapons drill in combination with a shield. As far as wrestling, I guess it would look more like a karate/Judo/whichever martial arts you can think of demonstration.

What about the prothesis stuff that is suppoused to be with the healthcare revamp, are they going to be peg legs, hooks and stuff or sophisticated devices which would be on par or rival todays devices? Or since they would be items and thus moddable, we can use our imagination and make them however we wish?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:55:13 pm by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: July 25, 2009, 04:05:10 pm »

What about the prothesis stuff that is suppoused to be with the healthcare revamp, are they going to be peg legs, hooks and stuff or sophisticated devices which would be on par or rival todays devices? Or since they would be items and thus moddable, we can use our imagination and make them however we wish?

It doesn't sound like prosthetics will be part of this healthcare revamp:

Quote from: Aqizzar
So, regarding crutches.  I wonder if permanently crippled dwarves will get canes, or lamed dwarves get peg legs.

Hopefully!  I don't think I have canes up anywhere, but I have a bloat for prosthestics, so something will happen sometime.  I'm not quite ready to take it on yet.  Splints, casts and crutches (and bandages and sutures if those items are maintained after application) will be a stepping stone toward other add-ons.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: July 25, 2009, 04:50:59 pm »

Oh I see, several people have said that the prothsetics would be in this upcoming release.

The improved wound/injury care along with the fact that wounds should 'scab over' and stop causing pain will certainly help reduce the number of dwarves that are stuck in bed.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: July 25, 2009, 05:01:03 pm »

Will the 'run to the safety burrow' affect visiting friendlies?

I would hope that liasons develop an awareness that when the meeting is over, they need to check the alert status of the fort - wrapping up business only to prance out into a known incoming goblin raid isn't helpful.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: July 25, 2009, 05:09:13 pm »

Is anyone else approaching pee-your-pants giddiness?

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: July 25, 2009, 06:17:32 pm »

Is anyone else approaching pee-your-pants giddiness?

Brother, I'm way ahead of you.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: July 25, 2009, 07:18:42 pm »

I guess you could create your own idiotic and ineffective style before you're talented, and it might be even worse than using no style at all.  That wouldn't stop you from charging people to learn, he he he.

Urist's All-Dwarfian McDojo!

LEARN devastating maneuvers such as the feared ENTRANCE DANCE!

PERFORM feats of superdwarvenly power, such as hauling LEAD FLOODGATES!

MASTER the mysterious arts of dodging straight into BLAZING INFERNOS!

ORDER A CONTRACT TODAY! ONLY 999 DWARFBUCKS FOR TEN MONTHS.

---

But if you do go this route, which I hope you do, you should also implement a sort of reputation system for these schools of thought. So if all the practitioners of Urist's McDojo were ingloriously slain by a rampaging kobold, there could both be a disdain for Urist's style, and a desire to learn the kobold's way of fighting amongst the fortress population.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:22:46 pm by Tiler »

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: July 25, 2009, 08:34:48 pm »

I just hope that dwarves can teach from bed. That way, if when my carpenter/woodcutter/hunter gets his leg ripped off, someone can take up his place, and be somewhat decent at their new job.

Though, it would be slightly worrying to be taught how to hunt by a legless dwarf.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: July 25, 2009, 08:46:40 pm »

Ah, but don't forget, we're getting crutches and peglegs too!  So your combination superleader can keep cutting trees until he runs out of limbs to replace, with a gaggle of mangled students following in tow.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: July 25, 2009, 08:50:09 pm »

I think Toady said that peg-legs aren't in this upcoming revamp.

We may need some clarification on this stuff because some people are saying maybe not this update, but others are saying there will be peg-legs in this update.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: July 25, 2009, 09:50:29 pm »

Permacrutches might be a good midway between peglegs and the current status; however, I imagine that crutches would need to count as an impediment to hauling.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: July 25, 2009, 11:18:00 pm »

Toady, with the teaching lessons, is it possible to assign specific rooms to a given instructor or subject?

e.g. If I had Urist McMason and his gaggle of students, and I assigned an office (or whatever relevant room) to McMason, would he automatically take his class there?

I may or may not now be designing a dwarven university...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: July 25, 2009, 11:59:00 pm »

Am I the only one who sees the hilarious, impending disaster coming up with this release.  I wonder if Toady intends to fulfill the evil scenario he foreshadowed.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: July 25, 2009, 11:59:57 pm »

The hammerer is an appointee of the baron/count/duke.  The hammerer is also the leader of the Royal Guard, who still don't do anything, though you can give them orders now.

Until now I was thinking that appointees were only appointed by the player.  It'll be cool to see the nobles enacting patronage and putting incompetents in power, assuming they act like dwarven voters.

Toady, with the teaching lessons, is it possible to assign specific rooms to a given instructor or subject?

e.g. If I had Urist McMason and his gaggle of students, and I assigned an office (or whatever relevant room) to McMason, would he automatically take his class there?

I think this implies that masons and other civilian professions won't have lessons yet:

Quote from: NFossil
Does this mean the teaching of other skills would be easy to code?
Quote from: Tenebrais
Will this instruction lark work for all skills, or just the military?

It's set up to use any skill, but since it's not used for that yet, I didn't do a few things, like have them search for meeting rooms instead of a training barracks.  It would be fast to set something up once there's more of a need for it.  As it stands, people know how to do complicated tasks at zero-skill, so it's not pressing, but that will likely be changed down the road.

However, Toady has mentioned that squads can be assigned to specific barracks (or barrackses), and each barracks can have various activities -- "sleeping, training, individual equipment storage and squad equipment storage" according to the dev log -- toggled on and off.  So you could set it up so each squad has its own training room, or all the wrestlers train together but separately from the swordsdwarves, and so on.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:05:27 am by Footkerchief »

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: July 26, 2009, 12:04:59 am »

I guess you could create your own idiotic and ineffective style before you're talented, and it might be even worse than using no style at all.
Oh, fun.
Just like Armok 1's silly system.

"I will stand on my face and fight with my first toe, left foot!"
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 1065