Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3527817 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4215 on: August 28, 2009, 03:55:23 pm »

Yeah, I think Toady has done 1 core so far?

*waits to be proved wrong

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: August 28, 2009, 04:34:11 pm »

toady has done a lot of cores but i'd probably enjoy this one

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:P

and this one as well
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: August 28, 2009, 04:36:14 pm »

especially if coupled with a random poem generator (yes, that's a threat)
Now that would be hilarious.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: August 28, 2009, 04:37:36 pm »

oh urist i love how you eat rodents and dream of tentical demons and how you always love to braid your beard in cat fat
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4219 on: August 28, 2009, 05:36:44 pm »

Imagining this game about five updates from now gives me a toasty feeling inside...
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: August 28, 2009, 06:44:04 pm »

Quote from: various
rope-climbing animal fixes

It's more of a technical matter.  I know how to check for grasps, etc., but it doesn't matter.  There will be catastrophic lag if animals can't climb ropes, since the game can't handle path restrictions that don't affect everybody (locked doors, etc.), once you are down to dwarf-style movement.  The sorts of general, sweeping pathfinding rewrites which will need to happen eventually but which are incredibly time-consuming are the only fix here.

Damn. Still, since it's pretty important for the new caverns, maybe give it a name like rope elevator and let peoples imaginations figure out how animals work it.

Quote from: Toady One link=topic=30026.msg730855#msg730855
[quote author=EvilTwin
i think the wounds-display with light-grey to dark grey and all pain colors inbetwen will be there still?

Fortunately, light gray is out, and everything is in the init.  I still like dark gray for severs, but you can change it if you want.
[/quote]

So, what will the new light wound colors be?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4221 on: August 28, 2009, 07:09:49 pm »

Quote from: Granite26
I can't help but feel that we've discussed this already, but it came up in suggestions earlier and I can't find it in the logs, so here goes:  Can you make a size 0 (size zero) body part or negative size body part?  How do they effect the creature?  Would it be possible to have the system ignore 0 (or negative) sized body parts altogether?  I ask this specifically as a way to hack the tadpole/caterpillar problem

Is the descriptive text (braided beard) tied to the physical beard status (beard grows from 0 age at a rate of 1 dwarfinch per year) in any meaningful way this release?

On a more interesting note, it may be possible to hack wings for requiring the correct size by having the flight token on a sub portion of the wing (winglets?) that isn't big enough until the wing as a portion of body size is big enough by stacking the size-tokens in a clever way.  I could be wrong.

You can give body parts a zero size through appearance modifiers and have them appear whenever you like, but their relative size within the overall body must be set to 1 or higher (this is the size when all appearance modifiers are at 100%).  The effect of a zero is to have it avoid injuries, but other things like inventory don't look at it yet, as far as I remember, but that would need to be added at some point.  The overall body size cannot be zero -- the minimum there is 1, though you could have all the body parts themselves have size zero after modification.  The overall body size refers to the absolute size of the creature if all body parts are at 100%, so the absolute size of any body part is (modified rel size)*(overall size)/(sum of rel sizes).  I thought this was more convenient because when you are adding a creature all you need to do is keep track of how large its body parts are relative to each other, and then you set the absolute size to be whatever you think it should be.

Quote from: IHateOutside
What will the next version number be?

Yeah, it won't be that much higher.  I don't remember if the number of Core items is going to be dropped by 3 or 4 total, something like that.  That might not reflect the total proportional work, but given some of the remaining Core items, maybe it does, he he he.

Quote from: smjjames
So, what will the new light wound colors be?

No recorded active wounds on the part.  Default = white
Any damage that doesn't have functional/structural consequences (might be heavy bleeding though).  Default = brown
Any muscle, structural or function damage without total loss.  Default = yellow
An important function of the part is completely lost, but the part is structurally sound (or at least partially intact).  Default = bright cyan
The part has lost all structural integrity or muscular ability.  Default = bright red
The part is completely gone.  Default = dark gray
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: August 28, 2009, 07:35:42 pm »

Heh, I like the new wound colors.  Bright cyan, yeah.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: August 28, 2009, 08:23:46 pm »

So brown is now the equivalent of what light grey was before, right?

I like how the broken and mangled wound colors are the same. Although, could you give an example of what a cyan wound would be? Maybe like cyan eye wounds would mean that the eyes are still there, but are no longer functional.

Of course though, some parts can have more than one function.... (and I'm not talking about the groundhog biting with every part of it's face thing)

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: August 28, 2009, 08:40:12 pm »

An important function of the part is completely lost, but the part is structurally sound (or at least partially intact).  Default = bright cyan

So next time my miner strike Microcline I'll just have to strike them Microcline to shut them up?
Sounds good to me.  ;D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: August 28, 2009, 08:43:51 pm »

So next time my miner strike Microcline I'll just have to strike them Microcline to shut them up?
Sounds good to me.  ;D

He did say that you can change the colors if you wanted to.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4226 on: August 28, 2009, 08:47:12 pm »

Say you shank somebody through the spine and fail to break the bone entirely but do enough damage to the cord to cause paralysis (mostly these wounds end up being red through).  There are also things like stuns/nausea/etc. and venoms which can affect a part without causing muscular or structural damage.  It'll also apply to weird mod-type critters that have functional tissues that have nothing to do with structure or movement -- for vanilla, aside from the spine's nervous tissue, I can't think of any that would come from a permanent physical wound.  But yeah, if venom caused function loss in the eyes, using the "IMPAIR_FUNCTION" effect (rather than just making the eyes get eaten away or something), the eyes would turn bright cyan.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: August 28, 2009, 09:51:55 pm »

Will/Could arena mode be used for off-fortress army attacks?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: August 28, 2009, 09:52:49 pm »

With weapons and armor in the arena, can they be made out of any material?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: August 28, 2009, 10:46:01 pm »

Will/Could arena mode be used for off-fortress army attacks?

Unlikely, since there IS terrain at any concievable off-site battle location that could be used rather than an arena wall.

The main thing would be the timescale redirection, I'd think... do you put fort mode on pause while you battle elsewhere? What about managing external work sites in the future?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1065