Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3524096 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4845 on: September 20, 2009, 05:24:29 pm »

Will it be possible to have these new workshops restricted by species?  For instance, let's say I made a building, let's call it a boneshop, that would be used for making bone weapons, bonemeal, bone mechanisms... all sorts of wonderful bone-based things.  Would it be possible to restrict the boneshop to, say, Goblins so that only Goblins can build/use it?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:30:35 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: September 20, 2009, 05:27:44 pm »

Will it be possible to have these new workshops restricted by species?  For instance, let's say I made a building, let's call it a boneshop, that would be used for making bone weapons, bonemeal, bone mechanisms... all sorts of wonderful bone-based things.  Would it be possible to restrict the boneshop to, say, Goblins?

As in only Goblin bones could be used or that only Goblins could use it?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: September 20, 2009, 06:13:15 pm »

Toady has said you can choose the skill used for each reaction, so assuming the species had access to that skill, they'd be able to use the workshop for that process.
It seems unlikely that there'd be a specific tag for species, either in the workshop or in the entity definitions.

Or if you mean using bones of a specific type, I'm pretty sure you can already do that in custom smelter reactions so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to in the new raws.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: September 20, 2009, 06:22:59 pm »

I believe it's meant that only some races build some workshops, so goblins for that.

Presently possible to make things in the style of rock/bone/wood-actions, that is, takes any of a subset of materials (rather than forgelike, picking your material exactly) and produces product of that material? Might be useful to add some sentinel/reference values for materials and the like, so you can have your product be made of REAGENT1 or REAGENT2 but not the FUEL.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: September 20, 2009, 06:29:05 pm »

Will it be possible to have these new workshops restricted by species?  For instance, let's say I made a building, let's call it a boneshop, that would be used for making bone weapons, bonemeal, bone mechanisms... all sorts of wonderful bone-based things.  Would it be possible to restrict the boneshop to, say, Goblins?

As in only Goblin bones could be used or that only Goblins could use it?
The latter; only Goblins can build/use it.  Modified my post.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: September 20, 2009, 06:38:24 pm »

Conspicuously absent from the list of options is Powered, i.e. by mechanical power like pumps and the like. No bonemills this go-round, I fear.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: September 20, 2009, 06:41:20 pm »

The latter; only Goblins can build/use it.

I believe that it isn't workshop that does it. It is if you allow that Civ to use it or something like that.

Unless you want it so that only Goblins can physically use that shop... for some reason.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:32:38 pm by Neonivek »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: September 20, 2009, 06:57:48 pm »

Though when lighting comes in, no doubt bees will be implemented for their wax anyway.
Um...tallow candles.

At least in 40d it's only permitted-jobs that restricts whether you can build something. (And then not really- immigrants come in the full dwarven range regardlesso f what you are, so you might be able to build a Star Jelly Dispenser e'en if your race shouldn't have soapmakers)
Tilesets

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #4853 on: September 20, 2009, 07:41:35 pm »

Will it be possible for workshops to produce creatures?  Like, say you have some dead animals, and you have a necromancer workshop that takes parts and creates zombies out of them, or you have a workshop that takes metal bars and creates robots or golems or something.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: September 20, 2009, 08:11:20 pm »

Conspicuously absent from the list of options is Powered, i.e. by mechanical power like pumps and the like. No bonemills this go-round, I fear.

You can actually build unpowered mills and make your dwarves grind things by hand with the quern, it just takes them a lot longer to perform each job.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: September 20, 2009, 08:12:07 pm »

Will it be possible for workshops to produce creatures?  Like, say you have some dead animals, and you have a necromancer workshop that takes parts and creates zombies out of them, or you have a workshop that takes metal bars and creates robots or golems or something.

I'm pretty sure you can already smelt animals with the current reaction raws, so this will most likely still be in.  Though maybe that was only vermin, I'm not sure.
Fefeshnelmargalip

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: September 20, 2009, 08:50:46 pm »

Odd, I seem to recall a video that showed some dwarf trying to melt down a berserk dwarf in a cage.  All that happened was that the berserker rampaged.

As for creating new creatures with the reactions, I don't think anything has indicated that yet.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4857 on: September 20, 2009, 08:51:31 pm »

Am I the only person that's going to stay vanilla?
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: September 20, 2009, 08:54:40 pm »

Am I the only person that's going to stay vanilla?

I am for the most part. The only thing I like to use are Graphic packs.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: September 20, 2009, 08:55:49 pm »

I could easily see an RTS mod coming from something like this. "Urist Zergrusher cancels construction: You must construct additional pylons!"
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1065