Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3523693 times)

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4860 on: September 20, 2009, 08:58:02 pm »

Am I the only person that's going to stay vanilla?

I will just mod my soap workshop and a giant sized sword

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: September 20, 2009, 09:54:58 pm »

I'm going to get to work straight away on three public mods I've already been planning for.

The first two will be self-contained mini-mods, mainly just creatures, that can be used with any other mod (assuming Toady keeps the raws system in which you can create additional raw files of each type). The primary purpose of these mods will be to familiarize myself with the new raws, but if no one else posts something similar first (someone will almost certainly beat me to the first one; someone had suggested the idea of doing the second one ages ago, but it was shortly forgotten about).

The third mod will be a massive, total conversion mod. As to what I will be converting to, that's a secret.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: September 20, 2009, 11:33:13 pm »

I have way too many planned mods.  Mostly minor idiosyncratic stuff, but I'm also thinking about a zoology mod aiming roughly to include at least one representative of each (interesting) vertebrate family, plus some inverterbrates.  That could get really out of hand considering how complex creatures are now, but I'd definitely release it if it got that far.

Presently possible to make things in the style of rock/bone/wood-actions, that is, takes any of a subset of materials (rather than forgelike, picking your material exactly) and produces product of that material? Might be useful to add some sentinel/reference values for materials and the like, so you can have your product be made of REAGENT1 or REAGENT2 but not the FUEL.

Yeah, this is all that's really needed now (along with unconsumed "catalyst" reagents).  We're getting something like it in the next version, as you can see from the mat templates in the raws preview:

Will it be possible for workshops to produce creatures?  Like, say you have some dead animals, and you have a necromancer workshop that takes parts and creates zombies out of them, or you have a workshop that takes metal bars and creates robots or golems or something.

I'm pretty sure you can already smelt animals with the current reaction raws, so this will most likely still be in.  Though maybe that was only vermin, I'm not sure.

Yeah, it's only vermin, and it's pretty much guaranteed to stay that way for now:

Quote from: Poltifar
Will we be able to smelt creatures in the smelter (or any other workshop) in this release?

Nope.  That'll take a significant job handling rewrite.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:35:18 pm by Footkerchief »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: September 21, 2009, 12:11:16 am »

Um...tallow candles.
Yes, but it's not going to be limited to just one possibility, because not everyone will have/want a tallow industry on that scale. There'll have to be oil lamps and flaming brands and so on as well, and beeswax candles probably make sense.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: September 21, 2009, 01:15:42 am »

Custom workshops have to be rectangular, but What is the minimum layout a custom workshop requires?

I was never comfortable calling those thing workshops.  I've always seen them more as work tables/benches and feel that the miners/architects plan out & dig the actual shop.  I'd rather it be a room designation where I plop down a table and chair and designate it as a jeweler's workbench or somesuch.

With the noise issue, its hard to layout my vision of a little workshop within a small cottage so the artisan lives & works in the same 'building' or 'shop.'  But perhaps I'm trying to force a square peg into a round hole...but we're dwarves and are supposed to attempt such things.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: September 21, 2009, 03:08:44 am »

Well, dwarves fitting square pegs into round holes usually results in square holes or round pegs, depending on which is stronger.

I'd imagine the barest minimum for a workshop is a 1x1 passable space - like a quern. With that, and some clever workarounds, it could be possible to make some pretty sick sh!t. For example, boards and planks. Make a 1x2 carpenter's table, and have him process logs into boards and planks (which would have to be weapons, most likely). Then have logs and planks in different amounts be processable into furniture, at another little shop. Then you can separately make blades and handles for swords, and forge them together (even though it'll hardly make a difference). Stone beds will, of course, become possible. These will, effectively, be custom workshops(in the "plan out a room and fill it with stuff" sense) - except you won't have that little required feature called task automation. As in, you will first have to make the blades and handles, and only then you can make swords.

In spite of this, would it be possible to have an "uncancellable" task at a workshop? A task that, instead of being cancelled when its materials are not available, is shafted to the back of the queue? I realise some of the implications of this, and that you can already do something like this with the job manager, but being able to put a task "on hold" until its required components are available, so that it will automatically resume then, would be very useful.

Also, will there be completely no way to get rid of the standard workshops? Would it at least be possible to remap the keys so that the custom workshops can be built instead?

Mini edit: maybe add a tag like [STANDARD_WORKSHOPS] to the entities to indicate that all normal workshops are available to them? Removing them will leave only the custom ones, with which the modder will have to replace the originals.

Also also, how exactly will the new 'shops be buildable? Will they be just stuck at the end of the existing list, or maybe we might have categories that we can stick them into?

Addendum: It would really make sense to add specific restrictions for workshops. For example, adding a new "Bonecraft shop" to Goblins would make sense, so that they can make instruments and crafts out of bones, but the same workshop won't make much sense for humans or dwarves, though they still use bonecarving for ammo and armors.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:21:22 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: September 21, 2009, 03:27:58 am »

I'm noticing a distinct lack of inane commentary on the STAR JELLY DISPENSER.  Let's comment on it.

What do you suppose star jelly is?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: September 21, 2009, 03:58:27 am »

I'm noticing a distinct lack of inane commentary on the STAR JELLY DISPENSER.  Let's comment on it.

http://www.strangeattractor.co.uk/further/archives/star%20jelly.jpg

!...uhmm..yea. I have no idea what it is :P It does look kinda creepy. Does it bite?
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: September 21, 2009, 04:09:20 am »

Star jelly is a delicious food dispensed by Armok himself. It tastes of fungus, is 88-proof, cleanses beard mites, and has exactly the nutrients of blood.

When the dwarf with a hankerin' for some jello scurries successfully to the end of the maze, he presses a button and one of two things happens.
Either a bell rings and a piece of jelly is dispensed, or a bell rings and one of his colleagues is brutally dismembered.

Leissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: September 21, 2009, 05:55:50 am »

custom workshops \o/

I want to have your babies.
Quote from: #bay12games
<Skibiliano> I can just imagine a line of dwarves looking at two humans, "Breed!"

<Turgid> One dwarf to rule them all, one dwarf to find them, one dwarf to bring them all, and in the fortress bind them!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: September 21, 2009, 06:07:56 am »

When I saw it, I had no idea what it was, but it inspired me to make some sort of shock absorbant material to make chainmail with, and make the soldiers wear it under their platemail as blunt damage protection. But yeah, no idea other than a possibly delicious snack.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: September 21, 2009, 06:18:22 am »

dear god, it looks like a fleshlight
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: September 21, 2009, 06:24:56 am »

that looks like aerogell, or something similar, which is used for insulation in spaceships and such things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 06:30:54 am by Japa »

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: September 21, 2009, 08:26:43 am »

dear god, it looks like a fleshlight
sweet jesus that pic made me accidentally the whole gag reflex

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher