Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3523933 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4890 on: September 21, 2009, 10:02:37 pm »

I was talking to people on IRC about the new uses for soap, and sanitation, and so forth, and I was wondering:

Are there any plans to add the use of alcohol as a sanitary agent?

It's my understanding that, as far as surgery is concerned, alcohol is probably better than soap, and certainly not worse, for disinfecting the area being operated on. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing here, but to me it seems like dwarves would be able to use hard liquor for sanitation with at least the same effectiveness as soap, especially since soap isn't really something you want to get in any kind of serious wound. Obviously soap is good for actually bathing and washing off minor cuts and such, but wouldn't alcohol make a cheaper and probably better sanitary agent for medical procedures?

Then again, medieval people probably didn't actually KNOW this. But then again, maybe they did? I'm not sure what kind of research you've done on the subject, but I'm interested to hear.

Of course, there's also an alternative explanation I just thought of: That dwarves, like medieval people, didn't really care about sanitation, per se, and that they're just using the soap and water to wash off whatever muck is on their hands and the area surrounding the wound.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 10:08:01 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: September 21, 2009, 10:31:09 pm »

A while back, I remember reading about spirits being used in military dressings in the late medieval era.  It's not suprising given that soldiers had no shortage of liquor and open wounds.  Eventually, they're bound to come together. 

But wound treatment back then was generally rather poor and inconsistent, so it might not have been too widespread.  However, I think it makes perfect sense for dwarves to use the stuff that way.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: September 21, 2009, 10:57:33 pm »

I think it makes perfect sense that dwarves would rather lose an arm or two rather than waste precious booze.

"Tis a mere flesh wound!"

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: September 21, 2009, 11:51:02 pm »

Would a dwarf rather enjoy a nice drink o' booze, or use the whole bottle to clean invisible germs out of his badly cut ear to stop it rotting and falling off, even though it only has cosmetic value?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: September 22, 2009, 02:51:21 am »

It's my understanding that, as far as surgery is concerned, alcohol is probably better than soap, and certainly not worse, for disinfecting the area being operated on. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing here, but to me it seems like dwarves would be able to use hard liquor for sanitation with at least the same effectiveness as soap, especially since soap isn't really something you want to get in any kind of serious wound. Obviously soap is good for actually bathing and washing off minor cuts and such, but wouldn't alcohol make a cheaper and probably better sanitary agent for medical procedures?

Then again, medieval people probably didn't actually KNOW this. But then again, maybe they did? I'm not sure what kind of research you've done on the subject, but I'm interested to hear.

According to this source (which looks like a decent general resource on disinfectants), "Alcohol is perhaps the oldest of antiseptic agents, being recommended for wound treatment by Claudius Galen (131-201 AD) and Guy de Chauliac (1363)."  So it's period-appropriate beyond a doubt, and it strikes me as pretty thematically appropriate as well.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: September 22, 2009, 03:47:00 am »

Ok, we've put alcohol on your wound to prevent any nasty infections.

STOP LICKING IT!
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: September 22, 2009, 05:51:38 am »

Also consider that Honey is a great antibacterial agent as well... people of ancient times used it with bandages to cover a wound to keep the wound clean and speed the healing process
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: September 22, 2009, 06:10:33 am »

if creatures created in workshops have vermin AI, then why not ctreate a spider-farm workshop, the creates cave spiders (the small kind) so I can have a running silk-production even without any cave spiders ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: September 22, 2009, 07:25:22 am »

IMHO, the only appropriate use of alcohol in dwarven medicine is the kind you see in a good Western or war movie, where the hero takes a swig of whiskey before getting cauterized or amputated or what have you.

Which brings up the question--wonder if there's a way for Toady to work cauterization into the mix (probably future release). Either as a part of dwarven medicine, or as an interaction between high temperature and tissue layers. Problem is, it seems you'd have to have some sort of intermediate state between "normal" and "on fire/melting".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: September 22, 2009, 07:41:27 am »

IMHO, the only appropriate use of alcohol in dwarven medicine is the kind you see in a good Western or war movie, where the hero takes a swig of whiskey before getting cauterized or amputated or what have you.

Which brings up the question--wonder if there's a way for Toady to work cauterization into the mix (probably future release). Either as a part of dwarven medicine, or as an interaction between high temperature and tissue layers. Problem is, it seems you'd have to have some sort of intermediate state between "normal" and "on fire/melting".

That, and the job of producing or maintaining a low-temperature fire vs. current fuel considerations.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: September 22, 2009, 08:49:06 am »

According to this source (which looks like a decent general resource on disinfectants), "Alcohol is perhaps the oldest of antiseptic agents, being recommended for wound treatment by Claudius Galen (131-201 AD) and Guy de Chauliac (1363)."  So it's period-appropriate beyond a doubt, and it strikes me as pretty thematically appropriate as well.

Neat, a real answer. Thanks.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: September 22, 2009, 10:05:09 am »

Unless I'm very much mistaken, lye soap isn't actually a disinfectant.

From Wiki:
Applied to a soiled surface, soapy water effectively holds particles in colloidal suspension so it can be rinsed off with clean water. The hydrophobic portion (made up of a long hydrocarbon chain) dissolves dirt and oils, while the ionic end dissolves in water. Therefore, it allows water to remove normally-insoluble matter by emulsification. In other words, while normally oil and water do not mix, the addition of soap allows oils to dissolve in water, allowing them to be rinsed away.

It just aids in getting dirt off.  That's why your common bathroom dispensers specify Antibiotic Soap, something not found in pre-modern times.

Edit ->Replaced Spoiler with Quote
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:25:07 am by Granite26 »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: September 22, 2009, 10:12:20 am »

It's still far better for a wound to be clean than dirty anyways.

Can you give us an idea how the hospitals are set up now? Like is there a specific burrow type (which is most likely) or do we designate a hospital room from a bed or table or whatever?

Right now, the 'hospital wing' is usually either the barracks, the dwarfs own room (happens this way for me most of the time), or unclaimed beds somewhere

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: September 22, 2009, 10:17:23 am »

It just aids in getting dirt off.  That's why your common bathroom dispensers specify Antibiotic Soap, something not found in pre-modern times.
Magma soap?

*What with the medication of open wounds with red hot iron?*
Finis sanctificat media.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: September 22, 2009, 10:29:03 am »

Normal soap can get rid of several kinds of bacteria by removing what it connects to.

As for alcohol the question is in what form it comes in. Is it ordinary alcoholic beverages? or is it things like rubbing alcohol?
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 1065