Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3529859 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5820 on: October 20, 2009, 12:06:33 am »

Yep. Adamantine is great for edges and plating, but you don't want to make an entire weapon (or golem) out of it; The damn stuff is about as dense as smoke.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: October 20, 2009, 12:13:36 am »

The thing I am wondering however is if leverage and the weight and strength of your arms could actually make a Adamantine Hammer (especially one with a long handle) actually worthwhile in a small way.

A lot of things when they are also light are also squishy. An Adamantine Hammer however is completely solid.

So is it an improvement?

As for throwing... It is hard for me to explain but there is an optimal size and weight for your arm to throw something. anything smaller or larger then that becomes hard to throw. In the case of small objects it is because you have a harder time concentrating the energy of your arm/wrist into the object itself.

That is what is so great about a gun. The actual blast a gun creates isn't all that destructive, in fact it is sometimes harmless. What it does however is it concentrates all the energy into a small object.

Other then that, lighter objects seem to be resisted by the air more then heavy objects.

I am saying this from a pure common sense standpoint, not from any sort of scientific background. So I am fully prepaired to be wrong.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: October 20, 2009, 12:24:55 am »

I am saying this from a pure common sense standpoint, not from any sort of scientific background. So I am fully prepaired to be wrong.
you said it so nicely that i don't want to contradict you
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: October 20, 2009, 12:30:13 am »

Your intuitions are all correct.

Throwing small objects is difficult because there's a limit to how fast your muscles can actually contract, so you can't give the object enough velocity to compensate (momentum-wise) for its small mass.

Bullets are deadly because they're fast and have a small cross-sectional area, making it easy for them to punch through things.

Air resistance is a force determined by the projectile's velocity and size/shape, not its mass per se, so two baseball shaped-objects, one of iron and one of balsa wood, which are moving at the same velocity, will both experience the same initial force from air resistance, but the wooden one decelerates more because the force of its air resistance is acting on a smaller mass.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: October 20, 2009, 02:24:21 am »

Which reminds me. Adamantine giant eagle golem. All the positive sides of adamantine, and very little of the negative (a bird does need to be lightweight, and is rarely experiencing sheer blunt force, unless somebody shoots ballista logs at it).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: October 20, 2009, 02:42:14 am »

so,assuming you have the tools to smelt it,just put relatively thin plating of adamantium over steel plate.congratulations, you now have mass to go with that adamantium. and if this adamantium is supposedly ultra-strong, it with the steel will absorb alot of kinetic energy,combine with padding for win. as far as swords,same thing,adamantine for the cutting part,steel for the inner core and handle. i apologizeif someone has stated this, i dont wish to read 385-some pages.
just my .001 cent
This is a witty signature.all craftsmanship is of the highest quality.it menaces with spikes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: October 20, 2009, 04:24:39 am »

You don't really need mass for armor - if you can keep the hardness, removing mass is actually a plus. We're talking about weapons and creatures built entirely out of adamantine.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: October 20, 2009, 04:39:20 am »

pun incoming... well guys i guess mass does matter!

i could imagine a adamantine based creature having a terrible time in a windstorm being so light.
dwarven steam machines could just push them away.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: October 20, 2009, 05:04:06 am »

It does in the case of Adamantine; i did the maths awhile back and determined that Adamantine was something like less than half the mass of Styrofoam; it was only slightly denser than smoke.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: October 20, 2009, 05:27:08 am »

Megabeasts kidnapping people for a host of purposes. Or devouring them.
Or demanding the periodic 'tribute' of a fair young maiden (or young master!) from a site(see: Dragons), in exchange for letting them live (or possibly e'en protecting them from other megabeasts). Could also see nations doing this form of tribute demand, though only really goblins atm would seem to want to go for it.

A random note: I thought that in many newer stories the dragon only needs one or two maidens to perform upkeep on the dragon's treasure.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: October 20, 2009, 05:49:04 am »

After reading the latest dev note I got this uncontrollable urge to donate. :o There's quite a lot what one can do with that one. Some very interesting building projects.. hmm.. *ponders*
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: October 20, 2009, 06:14:34 am »

Quote from: Toady One
I've added the ability to specify in the world gen params the number of sky z-levels, the number of z-levels minimum between each layer (it'll often be more because of elevation changes), and the number of extra z-levels down at the bottom. It doesn't yet allow dynamic resizing but this should be enough for the requests I've heard about.
Holy carp, Toady is best dev EVER
Think about it guys, a tower of babylon that reaches higher than vdwarf can fit in a screen, or a floating sky fortress way above the clouds. or the ultimate dwarf made chasm, that stretches down to the foul depths of HFSdom with machinery and boardwalks crisscrossing it like the spawning pits designed by saruman himself, epicness will come of this. mega-projects on a scale that has never before seen as much freedom. now i REALLY cant wait.

wow i just squee'd like a fangirl, never done that before...
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: October 20, 2009, 06:27:05 am »

Oh yes oh yes oh yes awesome. My enthusiasm for the next release just increase noticeably, which I had not considered possible until now.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: October 20, 2009, 07:17:35 am »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: October 20, 2009, 07:35:46 am »

*pours magma on the bannana thing* :)

Now its a dwarvenly dancing bannana! Well, a charred one anyway.

With this new world gen param, I bet we will be seeing height differences on the order of thousands of levels. Provided a computer can even HANDLE that. Although this is probably maximally extreme. I would wonder at some of the effects though, like how high the mountains will be or how deep the oceans. DF equivalents of the Marianas trench, the deepest parts of the pacific, the biggest mountain ranges in the world. Heck, the cliffs indicator is probably going to need at least 5 or more symbols to make an accurate representation. Although a higher resolution may be needed for that.

However though, just making the underground 100 z levels deep will allow for some huge cavern chambers.

Actually, I have a thought:

Since an exploration team of dwarves (or whatever race you're playing) could take a season or more to return to base, will there be a way to have them gather food or whatever or will it be limited to how much they can stuff into the backpacks and how many waterskins they can carry?
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 1065