Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3527634 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5985 on: October 23, 2009, 07:13:45 am »

Custom workshops are already in the next version, so I doubt it's much of a problem for them. Ideally, every workshop could be a separate image file containing all of the workshop in all its stages, and two raw entries like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is presuming that the loading code is set up to automatically split up whole images into tiles. So that you can arrange your workshop however you want without fancy raws setups. Fancy raws setups could be more efficient - so that you could, if you wanted, just set one tile to change when the workshop is active, and avoid wasting RAM - but rather unwieldy.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5986 on: October 23, 2009, 07:32:32 am »

Custom workshops are already in the next version

And i would assume that any existing workshops got converted to be basically just 'preset' custom workshops, all with graphics definition and whatnot.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: October 23, 2009, 07:48:35 am »

No, existing workshops are still hardcoded. Custom workshops still can't handle some of the default ones' properties - like item improvements and creature reactions. But once custom workshops are advanced enough, I would expect the default ones to be fully brought into the raws, yes.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

shiruba

• Bay Watcher
  • Eto eto... eto eto...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: October 23, 2009, 08:46:43 am »

Custom workshops are already in the next version, so I doubt it's much of a problem for them. Ideally, every workshop could be a separate image file containing all of the workshop in all its stages, and two raw entries like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is presuming that the loading code is set up to automatically split up whole images into tiles. So that you can arrange your workshop however you want without fancy raws setups. Fancy raws setups could be more efficient - so that you could, if you wanted, just set one tile to change when the workshop is active, and avoid wasting RAM - but rather unwieldy.

<dorfvoice> Yes, thats wat im talking about, thats grrrrreeeeaaat!</dorfvoice>

seriously, having a 256 graphic cap sucks, let text be text, let tiles be tiles...
its so annoying when you cant tell what certain symbol means...

also, my girlfriend finds amazing the fact that I play DF because "it looks like computer board with a lot of LEDs blinking, and you keep staring it and using the keyboard, it doenst even appears that you are playing a game."

I agree 100%, since I can play DF in front of everyone in my job, and everyone thinks I am doing some extreme leet hollywood manual computer hacking of sorts.
"ONORE DIKEIDO, THIS WORLD NO SEKAI SHALL BE YOUR DOOM DESU NE"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5989 on: October 23, 2009, 11:05:32 am »

Be careful there... I tired that and it turns out everyone in QA played it...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: October 23, 2009, 12:08:12 pm »

1) materials get assigned to a "material graphics class"
I was just thinking how this release would make making visualisations harder if materials are no longer classed as 'metal' 'wood' etc. Really all you need are 'material' (maybe a few texture tags like you say) and a color or three.

Yeah, you could certainly get by just knowing which material template the material came from.  The material graphics class thing allows a lot more flexibility though -- essentially it lets you do a concise, arbitrarily specific cascading selection.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: October 23, 2009, 12:17:14 pm »

It suddenly occured to me that with DF's OpenGL graphics, it isn't totally inconceivable to apply shaders. For example, items made out of metal may receive a faint metallic glint.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: October 23, 2009, 12:30:39 pm »

Antidepressants don't make you happy. Try a far more illegal drug.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: October 23, 2009, 12:42:52 pm »

It suddenly occured to me that with DF's OpenGL graphics, it isn't totally inconceivable to apply shaders. For example, items made out of metal may receive a faint metallic glint.

Yeah, 2D normal/specular mapping is very feasible, although there's no point unless a) the tiles are very high-res, probably upwards of 64x64 and b) the game has a notion of directional lighting.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: October 23, 2009, 01:07:20 pm »

I'm not talking actual lighting, I mean more like some very low-res bumpmapping.

Maybe the object tiles could have an overlay on them, using the original tile's alpha channel. Metal tiles could have a tiny bit of white gradient on them, perhaps with a small animation showing the (stereotypical) white streak shining across the tile. Wood and rock tiles would have some appropriate texture overlaid.

Also, there's no problem with tiles being low-res. DF can handle anything you throw at it, even resizing 64x64 tilesets to 16x16 - with relatively crappy results even on linear sampling, but it preserves quite a bit of detail.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: October 23, 2009, 01:21:14 pm »

Well, the whole point of bumpmapping and spec mapping is that the texture changes in a non-uniform way as a result of a change in the direction of the light striking it.  What you're describing is not actually bumpmapping, but just different textures depending on material class.  The only difference from my approach is that you're talking about an overlay versus a totally separate texture.  The disadvantage of your approach is that, for example, a glass door must still have the same overall shape as a wooden door -- only its overlay can vary.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:27:14 pm by Footkerchief »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: October 23, 2009, 01:36:58 pm »

No, erm. The actual tile is irrelevant. Tiles and their changes depending on material can be handled separately when full graphics support goes in. I'm talking more about app-side things that will apply effects or textures to items with specific properties - like shiny glass or metal. I mean, of course it can be handled by the tile graphic itself - but in case of the animating "shine" or, for example the water sparkles on a pool or a water elemental, would it not be better to let the graphics engine itself apply it? Less problem for modders, plus pathway towards proper shading when lighting comes in.

Although I'm probably overcomplicating or misunderstanding things. I may even be talking of the exact same thing, just with different words. Sometimes even I can't see my train of thought.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: October 23, 2009, 01:56:12 pm »

I mean, of course it can be handled by the tile graphic itself - but in case of the animating "shine" or, for example the water sparkles on a pool or a water elemental, would it not be better to let the graphics engine itself apply it?

It really depends.  A lot of people making DF art tend toward a pixellated look, which basically has to be hand-drawn -- doing anything with shaders would just make it a grainy indecipherable mess.  And even if art preferences turn toward higher-res stuff, it's still iffy whether people would ever find much use for it.  Look at the Infinity Engine used in Baldur's Gate, for example.  It was pretty much the pinnacle of isometric graphics -- that engine does an amazing job of compositing high-res sprites for people, clothing, armor and weapons, so that it can render any combination of equipment on a 2D character.  It still didn't attempt anything like shaders or procedural animation.  That's not to say those approaches are total dead ends, just that they're very unlikely pay off in a cost/benefit sense.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:24:03 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: October 23, 2009, 07:35:31 pm »

Well what it can do is apply certain blobs onto the object that is set only to apply to certain edges of an object  ???

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: October 23, 2009, 08:42:17 pm »

That entire conversation just had me screaming "GREY GOOOOOO". In my head.

Because that is what it would look like.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 1065