Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3527463 times)

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 05:34:10 pm »

Toady, just reading over some of the goals... its like the night before christmas, with sugar plums dancing in my head!  ("Its almost toooo good. Mind Blasting!")   

Reflecting for a min; I am stun at how good of a game, of a world, that has been created by the two of you guys.  Through hard work and smarts... Really, really impressive.

I find for myself, when I am sitting in class at university and I start to day dream... I use what you guys have done as a platform for inspiration. (Such as, instead of dwarfs, make the workers Robots, with human overlords, trying to conolize a new world thats been randomly genereated with multiple fractions existing in space with relationships that vary.  Or, creating a modern day prision for the worlds super villians while trying to also turn a profit.  That, and just trying to plan a better fortress...)

Anyway... I am really looking forward to the future of Dwarf Fortress.

-Sour

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 05:37:45 pm »

I'm liking this list a lot. It's nice being able to see what we have to look forward to, even if it does change slightly.

I was wondering, though, Toady: Are there any plans in the near future to fix the issue of dwarves (especially military) leaving their clothes all over the place? I know you've probably been asked before, but I can't recall. And what about wrestling experience? I have no personal experience to back that up, but I've been hearing that in recent versions, wrestling gives out way too much EXP.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 05:43:06 pm »

Just wanted to give my encouragement as well as state how utterly excited I am for this release. Keep up the great work guys! I absolutely cannot wait :)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 05:50:45 pm »

The hydra test, IIRC, is just a test to make sure that multi-headed critters work properly.  For example, for a hydra, you mythologically would expect it to keep kicking until you cut off ALL its heads.  Right now though, I believe cutting off any one head will kill it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 06:05:27 pm »

This is SENSATIONAL.  ;D

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2009, 06:27:29 pm »

I love me some Dwarf Fortress. I already was, of course, but now even more so. =D

I really need to get to donating some money to this great and wonderful cause.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2009, 06:37:47 pm »

Brilliant, god-like work, if God gave regular updates, and hadn't killed all the unicorns...
For they would be your masters.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2009, 07:04:49 pm »

I must admit to confusion on reading about "variable material dragonbreath", my first thought was "stonebreath?"
Now I've read some of your ideas on the matter, it seems obvious this would become "magma breath" etc.
liquid gold blood etc would be limited to demons and magmacritters I assume?
Not that I'm against things such as diamond bones and such stuff, but logic demands that a creature that has a bodytemperature hot enough to boil gold would be pretty hazardous to be near for a people more used to temperatures where water is liquid instead.

I foresee another !!pigtail sock!! issue with dwarfs running out to retrieve a piping hot 'gold carp corpse' for 'extraction'. Gold fever hath never been more deadly! :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Hardrada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2009, 07:07:49 pm »

It looks like the next update is going to be well worth the wait.  One thing that caught my eye was this:
Loosen up restrictions on changing elite soldiers

Presumably this refers to transferring troops between branches of the military, but I hope it will also allow for demobilising some dwarves that can't be demobilised now, in particular I'd like to have the option of removing dwarves with legendary civilian skills or the ambusher skill from the military.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2009, 07:32:27 pm »

I must admit to confusion on reading about "variable material dragonbreath", my first thought was "stonebreath?"
Now I've read some of your ideas on the matter, it seems obvious this would become "magma breath" etc.

It could still be stone powder breath.  Maybe the breathed material could default to room temperature unless the attack specifies a temperature.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2009, 07:36:23 pm »

Could be asbestos, too.
For they would be your masters.

catfry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2009, 08:24:18 pm »

I was wondering, though, Toady: Are there any plans in the near future to fix the issue of dwarves (especially military) leaving their clothes all over the place? I know you've probably been asked before, but I can't recall.

• Soldiers that are standing down should sort out their equipment according to their settings, trading up if proper, generally sort out their belongings

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2009, 08:31:00 pm »

Toady actually addressed this in the latest wall of text.

Quote from: Mephansteras
Hmm...speaking of wrestling, will the new squad equipment orders make wrestlers put back on all the cloths that they take off each other eventually?

There's a notion on the remaining list of them sorting their equipment out, and this was one of the possibilities, though I'm not able to guarantee this particular one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2009, 08:40:03 pm »

Quote from: Aqizzar
About the Underground Stuff - obviously you can't give details yet, but will these special features rely on a lot of built in coding like the Pits do now?  Will there be any provision for modders in that regard, or is it not possible to alter that sort of thing from our end?

I think some stuff is going to come out, but there will still be quite a bit of hard-coding.  Things like antmen nests (one of the few things I've mentioned in posts) will definitely need a lot of interaction with the raws.  Quite a bit of this will be experimental (not implying odd or even that new, just that much of it will be like the standard features, but done in a new way code-wise), so that'll very likely remain hard-coded until I feel good enough about the syntax to come up with a raw format for it.  When I start making tie-ins to the random sphere regions and so on, which'll eventually be important for how the underground plays out, I really don't know which way things will go, as the notions behind spheres are fundamental yet involved, which is the sort of thing coding is better at, (not saying that raw derived/custom spheres are out, of course).  Like personality facets and attributes, it's much easier to sprinkle effects throughout the code without worrying about mimicking that behavior back in the txt file.

Quote from: Areyar
How about something similar to the waterwell, but allowing a single dwarf to descend/ascend with bucket?

It's almost irresistably cute, but that sort of thing will likely have to wait until I make another push on mechanisms.  Last I checked, that was doing pretty well in the suggestion voting, so we might see something there on the release after this next one, though it'd be too premature to commit now.

Quote from: catfry
I wonder what 'update guards' is about?

Most of the ones with "update" in front just mean that some underlying stuff has changed (in this case, the different guard notions have been brought out into the raws), and the behaviors that were already in the game need to be made to work again.

Quote from: catfry
Will the units actually USE [weapon racks and armor stands]? Hanging up their gear and switching to civilian clothing while of duty or what?

That's the idea, yeah.  Having their own stands should significantly cut down on the wandering around.

Quote from: mendonca
Undead se_V_ers.

He he he, I missed the whole sewers thing.  I thought you were just demonstrating that you can sever part of the word "sever" with its own "V" as a stand-alone point.

Quote from: LumenPlacidum
I read it as having necrotic venoms, which are really hideous.

Yeah, that's what we meant...  some months back, Threetoe and I happened upon the Discovery channel "series" (it has like 2 episodes) "I Was Bitten".  It was trashy, of course, but it was also thoroughly disgustingly graphic and therefore inspiring for the game.

Quote from: Patarak
Actually, incorporation of the undead is going to take some thinking. Are skeletons going to have the tissues of the base creature flayed to the second last layer to make skeletons, for example? Then exoskeletal creatures would just end up being jelly, so maybe there would have to be a [ROT] tag for materials indicating that it will decay for the purposes of being undead.

Yeah this part is more or less done.  For zombies, it just rots the same tissues that are flagged as rottable for regular rotting, and for skeletons I believe it removes the rottables completely and drops off any part that is no longer connected after that process is completely.  I think there's some sort of CANNOT_UNDEAD tag for creatures that shouldn't, but I've probably forgotten it everywhere.

Quote from: Sowelu
Combat reports are too spammy for me, but I'm glad everyone else might end up getting them

I wasn't planning to blast out every single line of adv mode text at the bottom of the screen, at least.  I think ideally it would be able to decide where the battles are or link the announcements to a given conflict between two or more creatures and then let you expand out saved text for that... maybe with some sort of zoomable report marker that could be used for other things as well.  I haven't settled on a system.  You should be able to know when your critters are fighting and then see what has been/is going on in detail if you like.  That's the basic goal.

Quote from: Ampersand
I'm curious to know what [the thing about easy to find features] entails. Hidden features as they stand now, underground rivers, lakes, magma pipes and pools, chasms and what not are pretty hard to get all on a single compact map as it stands now
Quote from: Aqizzar
Well,the biggest difference will be that features can overlap at different levels.

Yeah, it's easier to cram things in when you are free of the one-per-(x,y)-coordinate restriction.  I was worried a bit about the limited Z levels, but I think the recent 15-or-so-deep HFS releases have alleviated that somewhat.  I can make things lower, a bit, but there's plenty of room within several slices that boxing you in on several sides and given you several large layers of wholesome mystery below shouldn't be too restrictive.

That said, this was also one of those world gen param thingies...  some people wanted hidden out-of-place civilizations at every turn, some people wanted something that felt like 2D, some people wanted *something* as long as there was something, and I'm sure there are a few quiet people out there that just want to dig in the rock and not be bothered by weird crap at all with the possible exception of a few outside threats.  I'm going to try to keep it versatile.

Quote from: G-Flex
I was wondering, though, Toady: Are there any plans in the near future to fix the issue of dwarves (especially military) leaving their clothes all over the place? I know you've probably been asked before, but I can't recall. And what about wrestling experience? I have no personal experience to back that up, but I've been hearing that in recent versions, wrestling gives out way too much EXP.

I'm hoping the equipment part will be handled by their standing-down and training equipment behaviors, so they can just try to keep their crap together both during their downtime and after practices where it's likely to have gotten screwed up, but it'll be hard to guarantee specifics.  I know wrestling is particularly annoying now...  and it's way too easy to just rip somebody's pants off.

Under "Personality effects on training", I had a note about skill gain speeds, so I'm at least going to check it out when I work on that.  We'll have to see if there are any practical changes.  I'll put an additional note for a wrestling check.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2009, 09:03:10 pm »

Wow; everything in the squad and health care lists. This new update will pretty much make DF as good as I have thus far wanted it to be. I'm going to have tons of fun setting up mini barracks with their own patrols and farms way out in the middle of nowhere to try and flush out ambushes.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 1065